Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance...claim for curtailment query

• 14-02-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Anyone any experience of claim for returning home from holiday early due to illness...3 out of 4 of us got bad viral infections/flu, one ended up in A&E when returned to Ireland. We only had one day illness free on holiday.

Any experience of what insurance covers..I assume flights, but would anything be covered in terms of losing out on holiday experience, leaving hotel 2 days early etc?

Will ring insurance company tomorrow but policy not clear, it says up to 3000, but dont know what it covers. (am hoping we might get something given the much looked forward to holidays was a disaster!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The 'curtailment' element of a travel policy basically covers the expense of going home early i.e. the cost of a flight booked at short notice and the cost of getting to the airport without the transfer that was paid for as part of your package. This is usually covered for events like an unexpected death or sudden illness (the person wasn't seriously ill when you took out the policy) involving a family member back at home.

On the other hand, if you get ill on holiday and elect (off your own bat - without medical advice to do so) to go home early, you won't necessarily get a cent back from the policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Three3 wrote: »
    Any experience of what insurance covers..I assume flights, but would anything be covered in terms of losing out on holiday experience, leaving hotel 2 days early etc?

It is about reading your contract and following instructions there in at the time. Unless you paid through the nose for the insurance and followed all the insurance company’s at the time you’l be luck to get the cost of the flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Three3

Thank you for the responses. Its actually a policy I got for having both house and car insurance with the same company. I just spoke to the underwriter call centre and they said that I am covered for rearranged flight, part of the holiday missed out on, and any out of pocket expenses for transfers etc. Will be putting the claim in fast, and hoping for the best, but as these things go, I will be prepared for the fact that anything will be a bonus or some comfort at the end of the ordeal.

The policy itself says up to 3000 for curtailment, but doesn't say what the excess is, so it just isn't clear...

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does the policy give a list of circumstances under which you can invoke the 'curtailment' cover? I have an AIG travel policy and there is a list of events such as death or serious illness of a family member, your house going on fire etc.

And they also say this....

Returning Early to the Republic of Ireland

If the Insured Person has to return to the Republic of Ireland under Section B (Medical & Other Expenses) or Section C1 (Cancellation or Curtailment Charges) they must obtain prior consent by contacting AIG Assistance Services. Failure to do so may invalidate their claim.

I'd be very surprised if your insurer will pay out simply because you took ill while on holiday and decided to come home early, without a cert. from a doctor saying that it was medically advisable to do so.

Advertisement