Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rás 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

If only we had a couple of Human Rights violations in this country to Sportswash.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dan-martin-ras-tailteann/

Very interesting comments by Dan here

would anyone know what the cost difference would be between uci 2.2 event and a local 7 day stage race with maybe
    one foreign team??

I think some of the UK teams would still come, in the past if i remember correctly there was only one major foreign team
    I remember the Russians and their slippy tubs and the Italians and a punch up in Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Agree with Dan but organisers (understandably) were reluctant to relinquish the spot in the UCI calendar.......I presume once its gone it would be a very arduous exercise to get it back?

I would guess the big savings between domestic v UCI event would be on the UCI related fees - principally event registration ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd personally love to see a UCI 1 day race here. Ample places for great courses. Attach a sportive to it the previous day or after like in London and it could attract folk.

The London one is dull as hell but it's huge and attracts big names

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Somehow doubt making it an amatuer race would make it cheaper. You still have to run it to the same standard with the same number of people, garda out riders etc.
    So you're stuck with finding the same level of national sponsor. Someone like spar would be a good fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Somehow doubt making it an amatuer race would make it cheaper. You still have to run it to the same standard with the same number of people, garda out riders etc.
    So you're stuck with finding the same level of national sponsor. Someone like spar would be a good fit.
    I'd guess the logic would be that it'd be easier to find sponsors, as it would have more national interest. RTE love faux amateur sports like the GAA, so may be more inclined to give coverage if it was local riders for county teams.

It'd also potentially increase interest in racing in general, giving people a more realistic aspiration of being "a man of the Rás".

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Macy0161 wrote: »
    faux amatuer sports like the GAA.

LOLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Cycling is still a minority sport and sponsors, understandably, want exposure to as wide an audience as they can get. Whether GAA is 'faux amatuer' (sic) or not is of no relevance, it has a massive audience and gets great coverage in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

531 wrote: »
    Cycling is still a minority sport and sponsors, understandably, want exposure to as wide an audience as they can get. Whether GAA is 'faux amatuer' (sic) or not is of no relevance, it has a massive audience and gets is given great coverage in Ireland.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Junior wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Sorry for my faux cleverness, i am not at my best in tbe mornings. 'Gets' or 'is given'.... I could argue that but as I started it, I will stand corrected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement