Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Car

• 14-02-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi lads and lasses,

Ive seen a good few people buying their first car only to be recommended a tiny car with a tiny engine.

I've been driving for 2 years now as a named driver, and have never driven a small car. Can anyone recommend me a car around these guidelines?

* Driving Experience: 2 Years *

* Previous Cars: Toyota Avensis 1.6 VVT-I (2003), Toyota Avensis D4-D 2.0 (2014)*

* Engine Size : Anything around 1.6 Diesel (Can't really insure a petrol car) *

* Budget : ≈ 7k (not including insurance) *

* Mileage: 15-20k p.a. *

Haven't really much interest in the typical 'boy racer' cars, would prefer to spend the money for a car that lasts. Have looked at cars such as Octavias and S40 R-Lines.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where did you get the idea that you can insure a diesel but not a petrol?

Id maybe look at a Kia ProCeed 1.6 CRDI. it’s got the most robust of the 1.6 diesel engines in that price range. See also Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30. Same thing underneath.

Also consider a Toyota Prius. Later ones are 1.8 but insurance can be quite cheap on unusual cars like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CarHunter138

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea that you can insure a oediesel but not a petrol?

Getting various quotes from insurers, 1.6 diesel (more or less around 110-115 bhp) is quoting about 2k.

Even a 1.4 Petrol (90hp max - no power at all for even a middling big car) is around the same, or more in some cases.

I've absolutely no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well if it’s cheaper then it’s cheaper!

Advertisement