Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused wiring

Options
  • 14-02-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

Looking for some safety advice.

Just removed a smoke alarm which was powered by mains, and replaced it with a internal power pack smoke alarm which doesn't need any mains power.

I've cut the wiring connecting the old alarm to a screw terminal (not even sure what it's called, plastic box with three holes and has screws holding the wires in situ).

I presume it is safe to leave the existing wiring like this in the roof since all wires are safe within the terminal box?

I may be over thinking it, but just want to be sure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Would it have not made more sense to replace the smoke alarm with another mains powered alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

heffo500 wrote: »
    Would it have not made more sense to replace the smoke alarm with another mains powered alarm?

That was my first thought

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

When you say "cut the wiring connecting the old alarm to the screw connector" what exactly do you mean?

Did you literally just cut the wires and you now have bare wires poking out from the connector block, or just have wires in and no wires out?

Is this connector buried in the ceiling or where is it?

Really you dont want hidden connection/junctions...+1 on replacing with a wired alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

acorkonian wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some safety advice.

Just removed a smoke alarm which was powered by mains, and replaced it with a internal power pack smoke alarm which doesn't need any mains power.

I've cut the wiring connecting the old alarm to a screw terminal (not even sure what it's called, plastic box with three holes and has screws holding the wires in situ).

I presume it is safe to leave the existing wiring like this in the roof since all wires are safe within the terminal box?

I may be over thinking it, but just want to be sure!

Depending on how old your house is it may be illegal to replace a mains powered detector with a battery type. It may void your house insurance in the event of a fire. Why don't you just replace it with a main powered detector?

Advertisement