Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin's finally up for sale.

Options
  • 14-02-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

After all the gossip that Justin's was bought by Aldi some time ago.
    It is now up for sale through Coonan Property Ltd.
    Asking price --- € 3,000,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Where is justins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Blanch main Street across from the Youth Reach, Foroige building

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Aw no, really? I thought the Aldi deal sounded great for him/them, a shame it wasn't true. I'd say they don't get half as much custom as they used to there. The last two times I was in, they didn't have the one item I had come specifically for so I haven't been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

no doubt theyll build some horrible looking yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

no doubt theyll build some horrible looking yoke

That would still be better than the horrible state the site is in now.

How they haven't been shut on hygeine or health and safety grounds is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

blanch152 wrote: »
    That would still be better than the horrible state the site is in now.

How they haven't been shut on hygeine or health and safety grounds is beyond me.

Out of curiosity what hygiene ,health or safety issues are there with the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

beauf wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what hygiene ,health or safety issues are there with the site?

Go down and have a look.

Looks like it always had last time I past. In fact it hasn't changed than much since you used to get coal and glass there. It was always basically an unsurfaced yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Link , for anyone looking for more details : https://coonan.com/main-street-blanchardstown-dublin-15-approx-2-25-acres

The place literally didn't adapt with the times. It looks like it stayed in the mid 90's. The only thing that thankfully changed was the sell by dates. The aulfella on the fork lift was a weapon.

I didnt realise how big the site was until I saw it on the auction site. I hope its used to its potential and not wasted. I think it would be a bit awkward for anything like a supermarket and its right at the bottom of the hill passing the garda station and 200 yars or less from a set of lights a the busy part of the village

90s? What do you think the 90s were like.

Other than the shop I don't think anything ever changed on the site. Probably not changed since the 50s. I was always curious why the house doesn't face the road.

• Advertisement

.... eh that its old and dated, clearly showing signs of it being neglected in comparison to everything else around it. it looks like it stayed in the arse end of the 20th century and never moved with the times.

I didnt know that there was that much land on the one property, now it can used to its potential and put to good use. Its been a eyesore on the village for far too long. It will be sad to see go but it has to be done

Coal yards don't tend to be pretty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Even in the 90s it was a bit run down, I remember there was a hackney office upstairs in the old house and we'd get a cab from there home after a few drinks in the Greyhound :D Probably mid-late 90s then.

So the site is sold to a buyer who has full intentions of leveling the site entirely. I joked about it being an Aldi or Lidl and they said its neither as the same did not come up at all. I didn't get any more info but they said they'll be still there on-site for at least another 18 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

miamee wrote: »
    Even in the 90s it was a bit run down, I remember there was a hackney office upstairs in the old house and we'd get a cab from there home after a few drinks in the Greyhound :D Probably mid-late 90s then.

My sister used to work in that office. Complete kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Namer

Planning application for 139 bed nursing home on Justins site for any one interested http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=FW20A/0068

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

4 to 5 storeys I see. The NIMBYs will be complaining about a "skyscraper" in their midst!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Wow, that one is gonna be completely out of proportion with the whole of Blanchardstown Main St.
    Interesting times ahead.

ongarboy wrote: »
    4 to 5 storeys I see. The NIMBYs will be complaining about a "skyscraper" in their midst!

It amazes me how many nursing homes don't have a decent garden or grounds for the residents. No where for grand kids to play or have tea or coffee in comfort with your family. Even a small shop.

I've always thought Blanch village is very neglected. I thought there was a plan a few years ago, but seems to have gone no where. No Central focus, no civic area nothing. I don't really think a sterile shopping center really is an alternative. Though I know from previous threads on this, People think it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

ongarboy wrote: »

It has a Basement with ground floor and 3 floors above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It amazes me how many nursing homes don't have a decent garden or grounds for the residents. No where for grand kids to play or have tea or coffee in comfort with your family. Even a small shop.

I've always thought Blanch village is very neglected. I thought there was a plan a few years ago, but seems to have gone no where. No Central focus, no civic area nothing. I don't really think a sterile shopping center really is an alternative. Though I know from previous threads on this, People think it's amazing.

I think in a way, this is because the shopping centre is too segregated from the village and pedestrians have to cross a major traffic intersection to get to it. Swords for comparison integrates the Pavilion SC far better with the main street with Penneys fronting onto the street and you've got the castle as a focal point amenity with better destination style bars and restaurants also. I've often gone for nights out in Swords even though it's miles away whereas Blanch wouldn't be on my radar apart from the odd meal in Brown's. The main street of Swords is always full of pedestrians too whereas Blanch village doesn't have the same footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Pop in a take a few photos, its like a time warp in there and will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Ridiculous to have this in the middle of the villiage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ridiculous to have this in the middle of the villiage

Why? Close to the hospital, on multiple public transport routes for visitors. Perfect place for it. Also close to the Garda station and refuge which are already multi storey buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Making great use of Justin's the past few weeks. Any idea of a closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

raheny red wrote: »
    Making great use of Justin's the past few weeks. Any idea of a closing date?

Someone said that he was going to be opening for 18 months from when he sold up.

Caranica wrote: »
    Why? Close to the hospital, on multiple public transport routes for visitors. Perfect place for it. Also close to the Garda station and refuge which are already multi storey buildings.

Not entirely sure you'd need a Garda station and refuge nearby to a nursing home.

But it would be good, that has great transport links and cafes and shops nearby.

Its just a pity its beside a motorway in terms of having nice grounds to enjoy.

Caranica wrote: »

I agree in regard to its place in the Village. However the architecture of the development should be sympathetic to it surroundings and not dominate them.

Looking through the illustrations within the planning documents it would appear that the build is going to be another example of the characterless, sterile architecture that Fingal Co. Co. Planning Dept, favour. Sadly it’s another opportunity lose to the boring play safe approach favoured by the Officials of said institution.
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00660012.pdf

Blanch village is an unplanned chaotic mess of completely different buildings. None of it, is homogeneous.

You can't keep the bungalows. But it is an opportunity to establish some sort of identity on the village. But I'm pretty sure the chaos will continue.

• Advertisement

Blanch village is an unplanned chaotic mess of completely different buildings. None of it, is homogeneous.

You can't keep the bungalows. But it is an opportunity to establish some sort of identity on the village. But I'm pretty sure the chaos will continue.

I agree, however it simply can’t be more of this bland architecture.
    Have the architects taken any environmental approach to this building?
    Is it carbon neutral?
    Does it have rain water harvesting facilities?
    Does it have on site secure Bicycle parking?
    Are there EV charging points?

Advertisement