Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly woman being scammed

• 14-02-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

To whom it concerns,
    My elderly mother needs to disconnect her landline asap. She is being inundated with scammers calling her at all hours of the day and night and it's becoming very upsetting for her as it's been going on for months now. She lives alone and has tried calling EIR but can't find a number to contact anyone and any number she calls keeps putting her on hold and passes her from pillar to post on this issue. These scam callers keep telling her that her phone line is compromised and that she needs to pay them in bitcoin to have the phone line unlocked. She doesn't use the internet in any shape or form so she has no idea what a bitcoin is!! Others are calling her at 8 am telling her that there were attempts on her credit card etc.
    This has got to stop and I don't mean in 6 months time. It will stop now because I am going to remove the line from the house myself if EIR will not do it. She will not be paying any more bills for a service that has let her down despicably and you can take it from me right now that I will go to any court in the land to protect my mother from scammers and from EIR so I'll be having none of the rehearsed answers if you please. I want a contact number so that we can speak to a human in Ireland and I will not settle for email rubbish. If EIR did the job they were once good at, then they wouldn't have these issues now.
    Both I and my partner have already had major issues with EIR and spent 2 years resolving them and I can assure you that I WILL NOT be putting my mother through anything like the same rigmarole. I will be advising her myself on the issue and as such, all correspondence will be through me once she confirms to a human, that she wants me to act on her behalf.
    A response would be appreciated although not expected if my previous dealings with EIR are anything to go by. I have taken a copy of this correspondence as evidence of the first contact and I would advise you to pass this information to your superiors.

Regards
    Tim Butler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

To whom it concerns,
    My elderly mother needs to disconnect her landline asap. She is being inundated with scammers calling her at all hours of the day and night and it's becoming very upsetting for her as it's been going on for months now. She lives alone and has tried calling EIR but can't find a number to contact anyone and any number she calls keeps putting her on hold and passes her from pillar to post on this issue. These scam callers keep telling her that her phone line is compromised and that she needs to pay them in bitcoin to have the phone line unlocked. She doesn't use the internet in any shape or form so she has no idea what a bitcoin is!! Others are calling her at 8 am telling her that there were attempts on her credit card etc.
    This has got to stop and I don't mean in 6 months time. It will stop now because I am going to remove the line from the house myself if EIR will not do it. She will not be paying any more bills for a service that has let her down despicably and you can take it from me right now that I will go to any court in the land to protect my mother from scammers and from EIR so I'll be having none of the rehearsed answers if you please. I want a contact number so that we can speak to a human in Ireland and I will not settle for email rubbish. If EIR did the job they were once good at, then they wouldn't have these issues now.
    Both I and my partner have already had major issues with EIR and spent 2 years resolving them and I can assure you that I WILL NOT be putting my mother through anything like the same rigmarole. I will be advising her myself on the issue and as such, all correspondence will be through me once she confirms to a human, that she wants me to act on her behalf.
    A response would be appreciated although not expected if my previous dealings with EIR are anything to go by. I have taken a copy of this correspondence as evidence of the first contact and I would advise you to pass this information to your superiors.

Regards
    Tim Butler
    Hi coolchillie

I am very sorry for the trouble your mother has been having with scam callers.  Unfortunately there is very little we can do to prevent these nuisance callers, other than to advise the account holder never to give out any personal details or information and offer some reassurance that the phone line has not been compromised.  On some handsets there is a way to block certain numbers, I don't know if your mothers phone has such an option?

Due to data protection laws the cancellation of any services has to be carried out by the account holder unless the account holder is unable to do so.  You can find more information here on how to cancel services.

Many thanks

~Linzi    

Advertisement