Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a first car to buy

• 14-02-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

Could anyone recommend a car for me to buy, I currently have a Citroen c3 2006 that was given to me by a parent and want to upgrade but can’t really decide on what type of car to go for.

I have a budget of 5500 to 6000 and ideally would like upwards of 2010 to get.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Also I’m the mayo region and I don’t know either to buy private or go throw a car dealership.

Thanks for any insights,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You want a similar size car to the C3?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You want a similar size car to the C3?

No I’m open to something new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No photos and asking price is a bit high for the year but you might be able to negotiate it down closer to your budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2204500&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D51%26o%5B%5D%3D925%26f%3D1%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2012%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

bazz26 wrote: »
    No photos and asking price is a bit high for the year but you might be able to negotiate it down closer to your budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2204500&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D51%26o%5B%5D%3D925%26f%3D1%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2012%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

MIght be easier if you include details, what sort of driving you are doing etc?

• Advertisement

Is this car worth the cost. Is the miles high for the year. Sorry for stupid questions but don’t know anything really about cars

http://www.kilcoyneandscahill.ie/vehicles/toyota/avensis/mayo/2206795

Does your driving warranty a diesel over a petrol?

Does your driving warranty a diesel over a petrol?

No not really I’m open to either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Do you have kids? What are your needs? Does it need to be nippy? Does it need to be spacious? There are literally 100 questions as there is arguably 100 different types of cars on the market from 2010 on.

We've come a long way from any colour as long as it's black.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Do you have kids? What are your needs? Does it need to be nippy? Does it need to be spacious? There are literally 100 questions as there is arguably 100 different types of cars on the market from 2010 on.

We've come a long way from any colour as long as it's black.

No kids
    Spacious as over 6 feet
    Thinking of a saloon style car

• Advertisement

Sporty or functional?

Weekly mileage?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Sporty or functional?

Weekly mileage?

Functional

About 50 miles week

Something to last and not to give much trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Getting info from the op is like pulling teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Car99 wrote: »
    Getting info from the op is like pulling teeth

Maybe we know her:P

Tv2013 wrote: »
    Functional

About 50 miles week

Something to last and not to give much trouble

1.4 petrol Corolla, 2010 or 11 would be about budget.

1.3 hybrid Civic saloon, 08 or 09 be about budget.

2012 Hyundai i40 would be just above budget but they all seem to be diesels and I've no idea what they're like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

If you are avoiding to buy expensive cars due to lack of budget, then you should need to look at the ways from which you can get high priced cars at reasonable cost. First of all, I would recommend you to don't go to dealers because they take too much money for both used and new cars. I would suggest you get a used car from the government or public auction. If you want to go with a more reliable option, then you should try to buy a bank repossession vehicle because it would be available at a low price. Here, you can read how you can get a bank repossession car from the public auction ( https://carauctionnetwork.com/buy-cheap-bank-repos/ ). However, to avoid drawbacks, I would suggest you inspect all parts of the vehicle before purchase, and even you can go for a test drive. Similarly, pre-purchase insurance could also be good prevention.

^^

Was that copied and pasted from a website? What's pre purchase insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Sure you could get it cheaper

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20305993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

^^

Was that copied and pasted from a website? What's pre purchase insurance?

No, it wasn't copied and pasted thing. You can consider already talk on auto insurance as pre-purchase insurance. I think it was better if I write that auctions don't cover auto insurance. I am taking your criticism positively. Thanks for correcting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was in similar situation to OP although with my relatively low mileage was looking for petrol.

Difference is I was looking for a large car , estate , not easy in a petrol.

After a year of looking I found a Hyundai i40 estate 1.7 DSL. I didnt want to go diesle but what can you do...

Bought it private in showroom condition with lots of service history for 7000 ( 131) 110k miles . I've had to spend 500 servicing it, brakes and disks all round but I know I've got a good car now.

I'd still love to have had a petrol or electric but living in Kerry theres no charging infrastructure which rules that out and petrol estates are nowhere to be found .

• Advertisement
Advertisement