Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Gatling wrote: »
    So she is a tourist
    You can call her or isis what ever you like,,,,but in accordance to Irish Law ( the same law that protects you me and everyone else....you are innocent until you are proven guilty ) So until Lisa is PROVEN guilty of an offence listed in Irish Law, she is innocent. Same goes for the description "isis Terrorist Organisation", it does not exist in Irish Law either, so she cannot be charged with that. We all know very well what isis is and what it does... would be hard to find anyone on the planet at this stage who has not heard of them. But that's not the same thing as being proven in a court of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

jmreire wrote: »
    You can call her or isis what ever you like,,,,but in accordance to Irish Law ( the same law that protects you me and everyone else....you are innocent until you are proven guilty ) So until Lisa is PROVEN guilty of an offence listed in Irish Law, she is innocent. Same goes for the description "isis Terrorist Organisation", it does not exist in Irish Law either, so she cannot be charged with that. We all know very well what isis is and what it does... would be hard to find anyone on the planet at this stage who has not heard of them. But that's not the same thing as being proven in a court of law.

I am sure it is not an offence to be a NAZI in Ireland in 1939 but it doesnt mean you wouldnt be picked up and brought to the Curragh for a chat with G2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

according to them she only got into the air corp because of 'diversity'.

Sounds like she would have been more of a hindrance to ISIS than anything then.

I am sure it is not an offence to be a NAZI in Ireland in 1939 but it doesnt mean you wouldnt be picked up and brought to the Curragh for a chat with G2

SSSHHHHhh...... don't mention the nazi's being picked up in 1939......do you want another huge compensation claim's business starting up??? Just imagine what a compensation solicitor could make of that nowadays....
    :rolleyes: rolleyes::rolleyes:
    None the less, I'm pretty sure that when (if) Lisa comes home, she will be invited to have a chat or two with some very interesting people :)

Yes, if that was the case, and then she did not measure up for the next step, and was by-passed, or not offered extension of contract, would that have driven her into the arms of isis? Because, when all of this has settled down ( or even by now) her entire Life will be dissected and analysed to see what drove an average Irish woman to join a murderous organisation

No that happens all the time, You would want to be extremely feebly minded to affected by missing a course or a promotion, same as civilian life. Eventually you get there, maybe not at the speed or the destination you expect. There is a lot of luck and opportunity and how you present yourself.

People who cannot take the odd rejection or failure should stay at home and refrain from going outside their front door and god forbid they should start dating with views to reproduce.

• Advertisement

None the less, I'm pretty sure that when (if) Lisa comes home, she will be invited to have a chat or two with some very interesting people :)

What do you mean? You mean like my auntie Mary who is great craic and always has the pot on for afternoon tea at 4. Or do you mean like Virginia Farmboys? I am sure they have offices in Dublin

No that happens all the time, You would want to be extremely feebly minded to affected by missing a course or a promotion, same as civilian life. Eventually you get there, maybe not at the speed or the destination you expect. There is a lot of luck and opportunity and how you present yourself.

People who cannot take the odd rejection or failure should stay at home and refrain from going outside their front door and god forbid they should start dating with views to reproduce.

Much of what you have said is true skooterblue2, but even so it can happen like that, believe it or not. There are case's where something apparently inconsequential to you or me and the majority of "Normal" people, will eat away at someone, and cause them to take a course of action completely out of character. For sure, something triggered this response in Lisa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

SSSHHHHhh...... don't mention the nazi's being picked up in 1939......do you want another huge compensation claim's business starting up??? Just imagine what a compensation solicitor could make of that nowadays....
    :rolleyes: rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ryan Tubridy isn't interesting imo

What do you mean? You mean like my auntie Mary who is great craic and always has the pot on for afternoon tea at 4. Or do you mean like Virginia Farmboys? I am sure they have offices in Dublin

I would imagine that by now, her farming view's are well known.... especially the arable land situation around Beghaus,,,,and possibly other area's too. And I am sure that Lisa would be only too happy to have afternoon tea with your Aunty Mary..the sooner the better at this stage... it's mostly green / gold tea in that part of the world, not black as we drink here, but plenty of sugar, no milk. It can get a bit tiring after awhile...you can't bate a drop o Barry's tae......;););)

Much of what you have said is true skooterblue2, but even so it can happen like that, believe it or not. There are case's where something apparently inconsequential to you or me and the majority of "Normal" people, will eat away at someone, and cause them to take a course of action completely out of character. For sure, something triggered this response in Lisa.

Yeah people miss marks in life, they fail at a course, the marriage falls apart, they dont get the promotion. Most people put up and shut up with their lot in life. They go off the normal deep end: they change career, they get a new job, they take up a relationship with someone 10 years younger for for a year. That is normal stuff.

You get dumped out of the defence forces and you havent been smart enough to be civvy street ready is your own fault. The smart ones have been getting a trade or making an exit strategy. Even the less qualified ones are planning as doormen and Taxi drivers. A 12 year pension with gratuity isnt going to keep you fat for life. and its a long time until you fully retire.

I am suggesting that she took it hard and wasnt the steadiest of Eddies.
    Eventually be you a 3 star private or Lieutenant General, the day will come when the army has no need of your service. I have seen Corporals go into £60k Health and Safety construction jobs and I have seen CS end up in the bottom of the bottle with full pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If you were offered a pots course you would take it

You are not generally "offered" a promotion course, you apply and you are selected or you are not. You may be encouraged however.
    because you worked hard to get it.

Not always true.
    She couldnt have progressed after two contracts and not be promoted.

Not true.
    She was just a driver and a handy number on MATS not an avionic.

How do you know her job description in the AirCorps?

I have to say skooterblue2, I know you have 6 years reserve service as a Private...20+ years ago but your comprehension of how the DF works is mostly wrong. You are answering in respect of an Organisation with inaccurate information and presenting it as fact.

You really need to give it up referencing the DF, even the civvies know you are wrong. Give it up man, you are out of date.

Yeah people miss marks in life, they fail at a course, the marriage falls apart, they dont get the promotion. Most people put up and shut up with their lot in life. They go off the normal deep end: they change career, they get a new job, they take up a relationship with someone 10 years younger for for a year. That is normal stuff.

You get dumped out of the defence forces and you havent been smart enough to be civvy street ready is your own fault. The smart ones have been getting a trade or making an exit strategy. Even the less qualified ones are planning as doormen and Taxi drivers. A 12 year pension with gratuity isnt going to keep you fat for life. and its a long time until you fully retire.

I am suggesting that she took it hard and wasnt the steadiest of Eddies.
    Eventually be you a 3 star private or Lieutenant General, the day will come when the army has no need of your service. I have seen Corporals go into £60k Health and Safety construction jobs and I have seen CS end up in the bottom of the bottle with full pensions.

That's one drawback of Army Life...while you are in it, all "normal"issues of life are taken care of......where you will eat, sleep, live etc. You don't have to even think about the every day things.( the picture I am painting does not reflect the current pay and conditions which are dismal for the Irish Army, but you get the picture) Leaves you free to concentrate on the job in hand, what ever that will be ( which will also be decided for you ) Then you will fill your term, and you are back in civvy street,,,cast adrift literally. So as you say.....the savvy ones will have been preparing for the day, and they will do OK, but some will fall through the cracks. But generally, any ex-soldier's that I have worked with, their training show's. They are very adaptable and inventive when they have to be, and find themselves in an "out of the ordinary " situation.

You are not generally "offered" a promotion course, you apply and you are selected or you are not. You may be encouraged however.

Not always true.

Not true.

How do you know her job description in the AirCorps?

I have to say skooterblue2, I know you have 6 years reserve service as a Private...20+ years ago but your comprehension of how the DF works is mostly wrong. You are answering in respect of an Organisation with inaccurate information and presenting it as fact.

You really need to give it up referencing the DF, even the civvies know you are wrong. Give it up man, you are out of date.

Considering the dropout rate during training, due to "weak moral fibre" and the amount of injuries during training. Yeah its a lot harder than working in Pennys or a handy number in manufacturing.

Her job has been published in the papers many times. I would guess that the MATS job would be close enough to an airhostess. The information about contracts was given to me by my neighbour who is currently PDF. He said if you arent getting promoted between contracts its time to get out. They have no more time for 24 stone privates or 50 year old privates. I will admit it is at least 10 since I picked up An Cosantoir but I try to keep up with my friends when I can.

Scooterblue2 and Signore Fancy Pants ( I assume that you have military background too? ) during your service, were either of you ever oversea's?? If so, can you say where about's? Not trying to be nosy or anything, just curious, and no need to answer if you don't like.

That's one drawback of Army Life...while you are in it, all "normal"issues of life are taken care of......where you will eat, sleep, live etc. You don't have to even think about the every day things.( the picture I am painting does not reflect the current pay and conditions which are dismal for the Irish Army, but you get the picture) Leaves you free to concentrate on the job in hand, what ever that will be ( which will also be decided for you ) Then you will fill your term, and you are back in civvy street,,,cast adrift literally. So as you say.....the savvy ones will have been preparing for the day, and they will do OK, but some will fall through the cracks. But generally, any ex-soldier's that I have worked with, their training show's. They are very adaptable and inventive when they have to be, and find themselves in an "out of the ordinary " situation.

That is fairly accurate. The army was always badly paid except for a short stint in the 90s to 2008? give or take. The Army has changed so much and some parts are highly technical now. It is relatively easy to train an infantry private and deal with the turnover. The problem is with high skill technical staff. How are you going to replace a Petty Officer (Sgt) in the navy who has 10 years working on Volvo marine engines? You dont worry about that PO you have been abusing for years, he is going to get a job by next week in the Pharmaceutical industry for twice the pay and no sea duty.

This is where the Government are blind as bats to the reality and there are two boats that are tied up due to maintenance issues.

Scooterblue2 and Signore Fancy Pants ( I assume that you have military background too? ) during your service, were either of you ever oversea's?? If so, can you say where about's? Not trying to be nosy or anything, just curious, and no need to answer if you don't like.

Nope never overseas. There wasnt an option for me but I loved training. My college came first for me and Its hard to commit to a unit when you are studying in one town working in another and trying to move to a third. I did get called out of college for the Foot and Mouth disease, well I volunteered when I heard about it. I had on reflection no true love for the course I was doing and it was making me very unhappy. There is no problem. I was with the infantry and loved support weapons particularly the mortar. By 2002 I was burnt out and had burnt the candle at both ends and in the middle and my industry had burst a bubble and everyone was in s%%t.

Nope never overseas. There wasnt an option for me but I loved training. My college came first for me and Its hard to commit to a unit when you are studying in one town working in another and trying to move to a third. I did get called out of college for the Foot and Mouth disease, well I volunteered when I heard about it. I had on reflection no true love for the course I was doing and it was making me very unhappy. There is no problem. I was with the infantry and loved support weapons particularly the mortar. By 2002 I was burnt out and had burnt the candle at both ends and in the middle and my industry had burst a bubble and everyone was in s%%t.

That was enough to be going on with, for sure !!!! None the less, it made it's mark on you and unless I am very much mistaken......you would do it all over again?

That was enough to be going on with, for sure !!!! None the less, it made it's mark on you and unless I am very much mistaken......you would do it all over again?

My life is a bit more complicated. Would I have stuck out the computers longer than I did? hell no. If I had known how miserable they made me. I never regret the defence forces. I am not one bit bitter about my time I loved it and it was a great escape. Summers were fun with exercises and camp, films and duties.

There was no call of duty, no obesity, you learned to dress and address your superiors and it was an amazing experience. Plenty of running and drills. Plenty of opportunity for promotion. The catch was you had to be some way settled in life. I was not but hey I got my 6 years done and I feel I did my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We should be reforming our laws so that people who go to participate in terrorism like lisa smith and ibrahim hallawa cannot return

We should be reforming our laws so that people who go to participate in terrorism like lisa smith and ibrahim hallawa cannot return

How can you reform laws like that when the Taoiseach is celebrating Eid in Clonskeagh and coming out with a big ole bag of cash to get Ibrahim released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How can you reform laws like that when the Taoiseach is celebrating Eid in Clonskeagh and coming out with a big ole bag of cash to get Ibrahim released?

I really have to say im continuously confused as to why the lgbt community and people like Leo Varadkar are so quick to defend not even muslims in general, but ones part of extremist organisations that have rallied to have gay men thrown off buildings or stoned to death. On one hand they quite rightly shake a fist at the old catholic ways and its abhorrent treatment of gay people, but with the other welcome in an ideology which even in the enlightened time of the internet, advocates for the death of homosexuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You think that Ireand can reform international law to make it legal to force our problematic citizens on poorer countries?

Yes, multiple tours of the Middle East, Africa and the Balkans. Skooterblue2 served in an Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil (FCA), predecessor of the Reserve Defence Forces (RDF) in the early 2000s. Unfortunately the RDF do not deploy overseas.

Middle East, Africa and the Balkans.,, Thats quite a lot of travelling,,, the Balkans would have been in or about 2001-2005 Dayton Agreement time? or Maybe Kosovo? Does Mrkonjic Grad, Banja-Luka, Priedor, Bihac ring any belle's for you?

Middle East could have been anytime, always something going on there, even present time. Ditto Africa. Any "Favorite place's in your travel's? You would like to see again, or on the opposite end of the stick.....would not lose any sleep if you never saw them again? :rolleyes:

I really have to say im continuously confused as to why the lgbt community and people like Leo Varadkar are so quick to defend not even muslims in general, but ones part of extremist organisations that have rallied to have gay men thrown off buildings or stoned to death. On one hand they quite rightly shake a fist at the old catholic ways and its abhorrent treatment of gay people, but with the other welcome in an ideology which even in the enlightened time of the internet, advocates for the death of homosexuals.

oh where to start?!?!? First the LGB community were abused by the church and the church used it as a recruiting tool. Once you were inside the walls of the church you were safe. So the LGB community once it got its "freedom" started to turn on the church. As Islam and Christianity are incompatible, "my enemys enemy is my friend".

This is erroneous logic as soon as Islam takes a firm hold they will be the first thrown off the tops of the minarets. Dont believe me? The police will look the other ways as they did in Yorkshire. This is what is known as "change management".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Or reforming them as to how to address their return. As said before a country would be in breach of international law if it refused to take in one of its own citizens. It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

+1 from another former Defence Forces member.

It's embarrassing reading your posts. You were in the reserves, but you're speaking like you think you are working up in J2.

SSr0 wrote: »
    +1 from another former Defence Forces member.

It's embarrassing reading your posts. You were in the reserves, but you're speaking like you think you are working up in J2.

I dont feel any embarrassment. I still have a keen interest in current affairs and defence technology.

tuxy wrote: »
    That is very different, people can be blocked from leaving Ireland but not returning.
    If she arrives at an Irish port she has to be let in even with no passport. There is no country to send her to, either she is let in or she lives in the Airport terminal.

I thought only asylum seekers were admitted without a passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I thought only asylum seekers were admitted without a passport?

i have travelled through dublin airport many times without a passport. A passport is only a means to an end. the end being indentifying yourself as an irish citizen.

• Advertisement

i have travelled through dublin airport many times without a passport. A passport is only a means to an end. the end being indentifying yourself as an irish citizen.

Maybe not a passport as such, but some other travel document? I have always had to show mine when passing through either Dublin or Shannon. There is now a credit card sized travel document available.....fit's into a wallet, so you can carry it around with you all the time. Is that what you used? or something else??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement