Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Be awful if she got a bullet in the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Boggles wrote: »
    Kurds are getting thrown under the bus.

They will be "terrorists" soon.
    Maybe, but call them what you like, they are not going to go quietly into the night. They are battled hardened, and well equipped ( courtesy of the US ) Trump has said only that he is pulling US troops and their immediate equipment out, but not the stockpiles of military hardware they have already supplied the Kurd's with. Fighting for your very survival is the best possible incentive there is..just remains to be seen how far Turkey will drive into Syria to create a "Safe zone ". Trump has also said that if Turkey oversteps the mark, ( what ever that means) he will react against Turkey by destroying them economically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Did anyone hear the independent journalist on RTE radio this evening talking about her? Apparently the Kurds may lose control over the camp she's in. She is at a very real risk of revenge beating/killing since her comments about ISIS have not been well received by hardcore people in the camp.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the independent journalist on RTE radio this evening talking about her? Apparently the Kurds may lose control over the camp she's in. She is at a very real risk of revenge beating/killing since her comments about ISIS have not been well received by hardcore people in the camp.

Oh no how awful for her.

To the Best of my knowledge,Al-Hawl is divided into 5 camps, each occupied by isis members graded on their "isis-ness" or dedication. The most extreme adherents were kept under the tightest security, with lessening security extended to the less dedicated ones. These were the ones that were considered "traitors to isis" and if the fanatic's get their hands on them, a beating would be the least of their worries.Now it's wait and see time with how far Turkey are prepared to go? and how many Kurds will be moved from that region ( Al-Hasakah ) to defend the front line nearer to Turkey? Bearing mind that Assad has vowed to reclaim every square inch of Syria, which will mean confrontation
    between Syria and Turkey at some stage, but meanwhile it will weaken Kurdish control over Al-Hasakah, and coming under the full control of Assad? While releasing 70'000 isis member's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jmreire wrote: »
    Maybe, but call them what you like,

I didn't call them anything, but if they are left to the slaughter after been used it could end up down the road with them getting the "terrorist" label. It's history repeating itself.
    they are not going to go quietly into the night. They are battled hardened, and well equipped ( courtesy of the US ) Trump has said only that he is pulling US troops and their immediate equipment out, but not the stockpiles of military hardware they have already supplied the Kurd's with. Fighting for your very survival is the best possible incentive there is..just remains to be seen how far Turkey will drive into Syria to create a "Safe zone ". Trump has also said that if Turkey oversteps the mark, ( what ever that means) he will react against Turkey by destroying them economically.

You think Trump is going to bankroll a Kurd - Turk war?

He has just handed the entire region to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

all the reason for her to be deported back here to be locked up. she is an even bigger threat in syria to the world as we know nothing of what she is actually doing or who she is talking to, or even radicalising.

You are contradicting yourself.

You dont want her locked up unless there is documented evidence of her breaking the law yet you are concerned about her potential to radicalise others if not locked up.

In this context, if she hasnt broken any Irish laws what would you like to see happen on her return to Ireland?

To the Best of my knowledge,Al-Hawl is divided into 5 camps, each occupied by isis members graded on their "isis-ness" or dedication. The most extreme adherents were kept under the tightest security, with lessening security extended to the less dedicated ones. These were the ones that were considered "traitors to isis" and if the fanatic's get their hands on them, a beating would be the least of their worries.Now it's wait and see time with how far Turkey are prepared to go? and how many Kurds will be moved from that region ( Al-Hasakah ) to defend the front line nearer to Turkey? Bearing mind that Assad has vowed to reclaim every square inch of Syria, which will mean confrontation
    between Syria and Turkey at some stage, but meanwhile it will weaken Kurdish control over Al-Hasakah, and coming under the full control of Assad? While releasing 70'000 isis member's?

She hasnt been in al-Hawl for a number of months, shes in Ain Izza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She seems to have "forgotten" to mention that she was married several times.

Gulp!:eek: Can you be hung for that?

For her protection? or preparations to move her back to Ireland, I wonder?

• Advertisement

For her protection? or preparations to move her back to Ireland, I wonder?

Neither, she was moved with others in efforts to relieve the strain on al-Hawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

What do you mean hardcore people? Is that other ISIS members or those on the other side?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Next time the US or Iraq need the Kurds' help to stop a group like ISIS, they'll probably be told where to go. The Kurds are the only dependable friend the west has in the region, everyone else can't be depended on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gulp!:eek: Can you be hung for that?

She ditched each one because they weren't radical enough for her.
    It gives a good insight into her frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You are contradicting yourself.

i'm not.
    You dont want her locked up unless there is documented evidence of her breaking the law yet you are concerned about her potential to radicalise others if not locked up.

both can co-exist.
    In this context, if she hasnt broken any Irish laws what would you like to see happen on her return to Ireland?

whatever the authorities can do legally upon her return to keep her in check.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

i'm not.

both can co-exist.

In my opinion they cannot co exist.
    And leaving it up to the authorities as you say is more or less kicking the can down the road, first time she is apprehended or cautioned you will have some crowd more than willing to shout about her rights.
    This country is known for its lenient sentences and punishments.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

i'm not.

both can co-exist.

There's a number of options on her return.
    Its highly possible she won't spend a day in prison, as there probably isn't legislation to cover what she did.
    So let her off to do her own thing. Or Gardaí keep an eye on her to make sure she's not a threat to the state. The gardai are having a hard enough time, particularly in the north east and border region without having to keep an eye on her too.

If she proves 100% she's left behind radicalism, then there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

We should ask her to pinky promise, if she's cool with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

There's a number of options on her return.
    Its highly possible she won't spend a day in prison, as there probably isn't legislation to cover what she did.
    So let her off to do her own thing. Or Gardaí keep an eye on her to make sure she's not a threat to the state. The gardai are having a hard enough time, particularly in the north east and border region without having to keep an eye on her too.

How does she prove this.
    Still to lenient, I don't she went over there and never participated in any atrocities. In my eyes she has to be punished for crimes she has committed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

55bf6cdbaac8fdafc8268275b17aa3ab4e3f6637157fd1bf5688d477dc7adecb.jpg

• Advertisement

What do you mean hardcore people? Is that other ISIS members or those on the other side?

There is an extreme hardcore of isis combatant's in the Camps. These are the ones who are even now, still fighting for the caliphate, even from within the Camp.Any other isis who are there, and seen to be "Less" devoted to it's ideals, are ostracized, attacked and when ever possible, killed as traitors. Perhaps their biggest regret is that they did not achieve martyrdom, but they still hold it as the ideal end for them. Anything less is seen as being a traitor, and that's why they are kept in separate camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I asked this question before but never received a credible answer. What offence has she committed under irish law that she could be locked up for? Anybody that stupidly says treason goes straight in the ignore list.

Legally none, morally a whole lot. She made her bed let her lie in it.

So many people in this country live in a bubble, actions have consequences. If ISIS had not been sorted out she would still be over there with all the other singing their praises.

Let her rot over there.

Like what?

Like what?

Absolutely nothing! As far as the Law of the Land is concerned, she is as pure as the driver snow. And if, by some chance she was arrested on arrival in Dublin Airport, there would be a queue of Solicitors and Barristers lined up to sue the state for wrongful arrest and imprisonment. Win Win for Lisa. Until the government enact Laws to cover this kind of situation, nothing can be legally done.Even talk about extensive interrogation concerning her activities while abroad, run very big legal risks....as often mentioned and repeated here, Lisa has not broken any Irish Law.

I mean the element still determined to carry out violence in the name of their ideology, regardless of the end of ISIL.

Obviously I’m not over there in the camps to say what it’s really like but I imagine it’s a bit like the end of the Third Reich, with perhaps some exhausted and disillusioned people while others who were Nazi party members escaping abroad and determined to continue their agenda elsewhere.

In that sense, according to the journalist, there would be a hardcore and committed element who will continue acts of violence.

The journalist on RTE was Norma Costello I think. I’m just on phone right now so can’t bring it up but it was a decent report. I’ll post it later if I can.

Just to make clear, I’m neither for ISIS or Lisa Smith returning and I said so earlier in the thread. I have very little sympathy for the situation she got herself into.

Link here from Newstalk's website, where Costello is talking on Pat Kenny's show. I couldn't find what show she was on for RTE. It's 11 minutes anyway for Newstalk interview if anyone's interested.

https://www.newstalk.com/index.php/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/new-revelations-former-irish-air-corp-member-lisa-smith

So now in the latest update on the Lisa saga, on RTE news this evening, it reports that there is a "Terrorist Law" in existence, dating from 2005, and Lisa can and will be investigated if she set's foot back in Ireland. I wonder is there a renewed effort being made to get her home now due to the Turkish attack's on the Kurds? Would not put the Govt in a very good light if anything were to happen to her now, under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So now in the latest update on the Lisa saga, on RTE news this evening, it reports that there is a "Terrorist Law" in existence, dating from 2005, and Lisa can and will be investigated if she set's foot back in Ireland. I wonder is there a renewed effort being made to get her home now due to the Turkish attack's on the Kurds? Would not put the Govt in a very good light if anything were to happen to her now, under the circumstances.

Pure arsé covering exercise.

The chances of her being killed just went up exponentially.

However dangerous it was over there the past 12 months, that will pale in comparison over the next couple of weeks and months ahead.

The whole region is going to go up in flames.

So Literally, from the Frying pan into the fire........Ain Issa is just inside the Turkish side of the planned Turkish " Safety Zone"........front line in other words. But I would think that anyone in that area who could move,have moved by now, as shown on the news. But even if she is still there, she has been in areas in the past that were heavily bombed / attacked before, and survived.So it's wait and see time.

• Advertisement

So Literally, from the Frying pan into the fire........Ain Issa is just inside the Turkish side of the planned Turkish " Safety Zone"........front line in other words. But I would think that anyone in that area who could move,have moved by now, as shown on the news. But even if she is still there, she has been in areas in the past that were heavily bombed / attacked before, and survived.So it's wait and see time.

Ain Izza has been hit by a few Turkish airstrikes already, close enough to the camps and ISIS detention centre. Rumours of US forces remaining in the are, observing rather than anything else, so the area may not be completely hammered.

One ISIS prison was already hit in Qamishli yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement