Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Ain Izza has been hit by a few Turkish airstrikes already, close enough to the camps and ISIS detention centre. Rumours of US forces remaining in the are, observing rather than anything else, so the area may not be completely hammered.

One ISIS prison was already hit in Qamishli yesterday.

I'm sure that the US have not gone too far away.....it's too soon. That's one bit of good news though about the bombing of the isis prison,,,I hope that they hit a lot more of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

jmreire wrote: »
    I hope that they hit a lot more of the isis prisons......I'm sure that the US have not gone too far away......

Some US still in Manbij, Ain Izza and al-Hasakah. Wouldnt be a bad thing if some detention centres got whacked! Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are now saying camps have morality police carrying out punishments in the camps ,
    Would it be a bad thing if the camps got targeted and wiped out if the Kurds pull out completely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ain Izza has been hit by a few Turkish airstrikes already, close enough to the camps and ISIS detention centre. Rumours of US forces remaining in the are, observing rather than anything else, so the area may not be completely hammered.

One ISIS prison was already hit in Qamishli yesterday.

That's because Erdogan is not trying to hit the camp itself, but the guards and the perimeter.
    He might want his oil producing buddies back out. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So the ISIS terrorist cells known as the Beatles are facing the death penalty.

Doesn't look like they will be getting a little help from their friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

joeguevara wrote: »
    So the ISIS terrorist cells known as the Beatles are facing the death penalty.

Doesn't look like they will be getting a little help from their friends

Lol

Excellent.

Gatling wrote: »
    They are now saying camps have morality police carrying out punishments in the camps ,
    Would it be a bad thing if the camps got targeted and wiped out if the Kurds pull out completely

That's nothing new,even in the camps, thye have the same structure as they had in the caliphate.They are much more restricted of course, but the same rules apply,,,,dress, behaviour, allegiance to isis etc. and the enemy is still the same...the unbelievers, all of them, especially the isis whose devotion might be slipping. They are still the same murderous shower of barstewards that they always were...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

With most of the focus being on known Isis members returning to Europe the attention has been taken away from refugees who are committing terrorist attacks.

France, Germany, Italy etc
    Security forces need to watch out for these types of attacks too. Almost impossible to stop them all unfortunately.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    With most of the focus being on known Isis members returning to Europe the attention has been taken away from refugees who are committing terrorist attacks.

France, Germany, Italy etc
    Security forces need to watch out for these types of attacks too. Almost impossible to stop them all unfortunately.

A disbanded isis is not a disorganised isis...they are and will be dangerous for many years to come, and maybe even more dangerous working in small cell's. The only real solution to isis will have to come from the Mosque's, from within Islam itself.

A disbanded isis is not a disorganised isis...they are and will be dangerous for many years to come, and maybe even more dangerous working in small cell's. The only real solution to isis will have to come from the Mosque's, from within Islam itself.

Very true. It's not an army it's an Ideology. Impossible to stop.
    Lone wolf attacks are inevitable.

Part and parcel of living in a global city according to the London mayor.
    Sounds like an admission of defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Blueshoe wrote: »
    ...Part and parcel of living in a global city according to the London mayor.
    Sounds like an admission of defeat

“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you have to be prepared for these things.  You have to be vigilant.  You have to support the police doing an incredibly hard job”

In context it sounds a lot less like "an admission of defeat" than recognition that a threat exists and people need to be aware of that.

“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you have to be prepared for these things.  You have to be vigilant.  You have to support the police doing an incredibly hard job”

In context it sounds a lot less like "an admission of defeat" than recognition that a threat exists and people need to be aware of that.

Sounds like defeat to me.

Sounds like it's going to happen and we can't do anything about it so get used to it

Apparently a **** load of ****ers have escaped from Ayn Issa camp.

What this means for lisa smith is unclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Bring them home. We need them to pay for our pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

785 ISIS foreign fighters freed thanks to Turkish-backed Syrian rebels.

I'd take any news from such a biased site with a magnificent pinch of salt.

That article is very far from accurate. There was no attack by TUR or proxy forces on the camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

That article is very far from accurate. There was no attack by TUR or proxy forces on the camp.

BBC reporting that the detainees stormed the fences:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50029540

I’ll happily read any information I can get on the incident to gain a clearer picture of what’s happening Signore. It can’t be denied though that the deteriorating security situation is a result of the Turkish offensive - the Kurds can’t hold the prisons and ward off the attacks at the same time.

BBC reporting that the detainees stormed the fences:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50029540

I’ll happily read any information I can get on the incident to gain a clearer picture of what’s happening Signore. It can’t be denied though that the deteriorating security situation is a result of the Turkish offensive - the Kurds can’t hold the prisons and ward off the attacks at the same time.

Oh I 100% agree with you, that is the reason for the escape.

However, theres a lot of misinformation stating that Turkish forces and proxies stormed the camp, suggesting a deliberate action to liberate ISIS elements.

However at this stage, who knows what is true or not. Turkish proxies could be in control of the camp now...im sure it will be confirmed today.

Id say its mayhem over there now.

• Advertisement

Oh I 100% agree with you, that is the reason for the escape.

However, theres a lot of misinformation stating that Turkish forces and proxies stormed the camp, suggesting a deliberate action to liberate ISIS elements.

However at this stage, who knows what is true or not. Turkish proxies could be in control of the camp now...im sure it will be confirmed today.

Id say its mayhem over there now.

Just on RTE news now that its untrue, the story was put put out to provoke a reaction from the west.
    But even if it was true, what would happen? Ain Issa is reportedly filled with women and Children, and not hard core isis fighter's. Unless the Turks are going to carpet bomb the place, their best hope of survival would be to remain in Ain Issa. There are probably some inmates there who would have good reason to fear the Turk's, and they might be prepared to take their chances on the road and in the desert. But unless they have support, any escapee's are in for a rough time. For the hard core isis ( inc. 8'000 foreign fighter's ) in Hasakah and Kamishli, maybe isis will put together a plan to get them out......but again, it will be extremely difficult to do. The logistic's alone would need massive planning and co-ordination...and I can't see any of them getting safe passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

While Turkish aligned groups may not have stormed the camp, it is fair to point out that Turkey and Isis have worked together in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

recedite wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that the Syrian govt. is unwilling to deal with her?
    Generally their policy is to let IS personnel escape if it avoids having to fight them (their army has already suffered massive casualties over the last few years) but I'm sure they could arrange a trial, if they were asked.

But they have been kept out of the loop, by the yanks who control the kurds.
    We may get an answer to the above question soon.
    The Syrian Arab Army has arrived into the Ain Issa area, so if Lisa is still around they will pick her up.
    On the other hand she may have been with groups of escaped jihadis seen heading north towards the Turkish lines, where they may find a bit more sympathy for their ideology.
    Syrian army troops have entered the towns of Tabqah, Ain Issa and Tel Tamer in northeastern Syria after Damascus reached an agreement with Kurds in the region to deploy troops in the area, state media report.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/10/14/608623/Syria-Kurds-deal-Turkey

This put's Vladimir in an awkward position.....caught between a rock and a hard place. What happens when Russian supplied armaments are given to the Kurd's by the Syrian army to fight the Turkish Army?
    As for Lisa,,it's a whole new ballgame. While its on the news that 785 families escaped from Ain Issa, the story I heard is that they were evacuated to another camp. We will have to wait for a few days until the dust settles and see then. One story goes that the escapees were heading north towards Turkey,,,,, but seems strange that they would do that, if Turkish army was in control of Ain Issa?

This put's Vladimir in an awkward position.....caught between a rock and a hard place. What happens when Russian supplied armaments are given to the Kurd's by the Syrian army to fight the Turkish Army?
    You can be sure Putin is on the phone to Erdogan today to sort this out. The Syrian Arab Army (the official Syrian army) will be placed between the Syrian National Army (Turkish) and the SDF (Kurds)
    Putin and Erdogan will then establish a protocol to ensure no conflict between the SAA and the SNA.

Then the border area/ buffer zone will be planted with the millions of Syrian arab refugees and their kids that Erdogan has been schooling in Turkish language and culture over the last few years.
    If Lisa makes it into the buffer zone, I'm sure she would be welcome to stay there, but she would be more likely to try to make her way back into Europe from there.

You can be sure Putin is on the phone to Erdogan today to sort this out. The Syrian Arab Army (the official Syrian army) will be placed between the Syrian National Army (Turkish) and the SDF (Kurds)
    Putin and Erdogan will then establish a protocol to ensure no conflict between the SAA and the SNA.

Then the border area/ buffer zone will be planted with the millions of Syrian arab refugees and their kids that Erdogan has been schooling in Turkish language and culture over the last few years.
    If Lisa makes it into the buffer zone, I'm sure she would be welcome to stay there, but she would be more likely to try to make her way back into Europe from there.

The next few days will tell a lot....it all depends on the resistance that the Kurds put up.. Remember that a short time ago, Assad made a statement, that,, he was going to take back ALL of Syrian territory, every inch of it, he also warned all foreign army's to leave or face the consequences. So going forward, this what he plan's. Ultimately, it will mean taking back any territory that Turkey may get control over now.
    As for Lisa...hard to say, I'm sure by now that she has heard that the Government plan on at least investigating her, but may also charge her with terrorism under a 2005 anti-terrorist law that they unearthed recently. That may influence her decision to return or stay where she is. Like I said, the next few days will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It will be an interesting few days alright, if something should happen to her id say the government will come under fire in some quarters.

Calhoun wrote: »
    It will be an interesting few days alright, if something should happen to her id say the government will come under fire in some quarters.

Yes of course, the usual hand wringer's. But secretly....they would breathe a sigh of relief. And hold it up as an example to anyone considering joining isis ( or any other organization) of what can happen if you take a similar path.

Remember that a short time ago, Assad made a statement, that,, he was going to take back ALL of Syrian territory, every inch of it, he also warned all foreign army's to leave or face the consequences. So going forward, this what he plan's. Ultimately, it will mean taking back any territory that Turkey may get control over now.
    That's his hope alright, but I'd put the odds at about 50;50 that he will ever get the buffer zone back. (Look at the Golan Heights situation)
    Turkey may withdraw eventually, but only when they are sure the whole Turkey/Syria border area has been rid of Kurdish separatists, populated with pro-Turkish Syrians, and will no longer be considered to be "a kurdish region".

• Advertisement

That's his hope alright, but I'd put the odds at about 50;50 that he will ever get the buffer zone back. (Look at the Golan Heights situation)
    Turkey may withdraw eventually, but only when they are sure the whole Turkey/Syria border area has been rid of Kurdish separatists, populated with pro-Turkish Syrians, and will no longer be considered to be "a kurdish region".

With Iran and Russia backing him...and the matter of Syrian pride, I don't think that he will accept a land grab by Turkey..buffer zone or not. No matter how long it will take..but regionally, it has put the cat among the pigeons. This could get very bad very quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement