Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

i'm afraid she is not their problem. them solving that problem will be her returning to ireland.

Short of throwing her out of a plane with a parachute (or without) she cannot be returned to Ireland without the co-operation of Irish officials. Does she even have an Irish passport to establish her credentials? Wasn't it the fashion for new arrivals to the Islamic State to burn their papers to establish their allegiance to their new country? If so, unlucky.

She is Syria's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i'm afraid she is not their problem. them solving that problem will be her returning to ireland. quite rightly syria doesn't care about some in the west not wanting to take responsibility and take back their terrorists. a lot of the syrians will return once syria is safe for them to do so

Get off the stage EOTR

You are really comfortable with the likes of her in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I would have no problem with her returning on the condition she either lived with Boggels or End Of The Road.The seem to want her back no matter what she has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

she can be got on membership of an illegal organisation. isis can be made a proscribed organisation within the time it will likely take her to come back here. membership of an illegal organisation i believe carries a 10 year sentence, so plenty of time to update the laws to keep her in indefinitely if needs be

As I'd say your well aware laws cannot be retrospectively applied here , changing the law now or in the future means only those who join Isis after the law is enacted can be charged .

So your happy for a trained killer and terrorist to be welcomed home with open arms and face zero consequences ,

Again will you be happy if she's housed next door to you and your family yes or no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

mgn wrote: »
    I would have no problem with her returning on the condition she either lived with Boggels or End Of The Road.The seem to want her back no matter what she has done.

She'll be tough on Jews and they respect that.

A lot can be forgiven when that is the case.

I think she remains a member of an org. who sees mass rape and genocide as the purest of acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't really see how Islam or Islamism should be Ireland's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Lisa Smith joined ISIS when she was a mature woman in her thirties, at a time when the organization she joined was flooding the internet constantly with the goriest of videos.
    She knew exactly what she was getting into.
    Don’t forget in her recent interviews she said ISIS are not gone yet.
    If ISIS were still in charge in Racqqa or Mosul you can be certain Lisa would be happy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lisa Smith joined ISIS when she was a mature woman in her thirties, at a time when the organization she joined was flooding the internet constantly with the goriest of videos.
    She knew exactly what she was getting into.
    Don’t forget in her recent interviews she said ISIS are not gone yet.
    If ISIS were still in charge in Racqqa or Mosul you can be certain Lisa would be happy there.

After giving it the large one for couple of years about "trust women", suddenly when it comes to this, the government and media are portraying her as some innocent that wa led astray by the evil man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭jmreire

Gatling wrote: »
    As I'd say your well aware laws cannot be retrospectively applied here , changing the law now or in the future means only those who join Isis after the law is enacted can be charged .

So your happy for a trained killer and terrorist to be welcomed home with open arms and face zero consequences ,

Again will you be happy if she's housed next door to you and your family yes or no ?

Its not a question of like or dislike...it's a fact that the Govt will bring her back to Ireland, according to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

jmreire wrote: »
    Its not a question of like or dislike...it's a fact that the Govt will bring her back to Ireland, according to Leo.

Well someone needs to step in and tell leo no stop leave her in Kurdish Territory ignore all requests for assistance ,the media should be told to cop on and stop running these bs poor little Irish girl too it's embarrassing ,

She's a traitor and terrorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sand wrote: »
    Short of throwing her out of a plane with a parachute (or without) she cannot be returned to Ireland without the co-operation of Irish officials. Does she even have an Irish passport to establish her credentials? Wasn't it the fashion for new arrivals to the Islamic State to burn their papers to establish their allegiance to their new country? If so, unlucky.

She is Syria's problem.

she is not syria's problem unless they decide of their own accord, without interference, to make her so. whether ireland co-operates or not syria can deport her from their country. perfectly legitimately i'd suggest.
    Get off the stage EOTR

You are really comfortable with the likes of her in this country?

not particularly. however whether i'm comfortable with the likes of her returning home or not matters not and is irrelevant.

it isn't about wanting her back. it's about our obligations and responsibilities. something we would expect other countries to take if we were in syria's situation. of course you know this.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't really see how Islam or Islamism should be Ireland's problem.

it isn't and never has been, nor have we decided to make it our problem. our nuts who go off to join extremist groups are certainly our problem however, as it should be

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, i'm not happy that she would likely face no consequences. and i never said that, or that she should receive open arms upon her return. but of course you know this.

she isn't going to be housed beside me. if on the very very unlikely off chance that she was, no i wouldn't be jumping for joy if she was to move in, but ultimately it will be on the authorities to monitor her.
    Well someone needs to step in and tell leo no stop leave her in Kurdish Territory ignore all requests for assistance ,the media should be told to cop on and stop running these bs poor little Irish girl too it's embarrassing ,

She's a traitor and terrorist

nobody needs to step in and tell leo "no leave her in kurdish territory" essentially dumping ireland's problem on the kurds, forcing her on them against their will, and it's unlikely that anyone would.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I feel sorry for whoever is going to be stuck living beside her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Rte state this morning that the government are trying to locate her and start to get talking with her. Let's hope that they don't try to hard. Another burden on society for the taxpayer to pick up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i would be limiting and monitoring her internet access at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

how so? because some of it at least understands that we don't get to dump our rubbish on other countries?

countries can charge these people if they have broken their relevant laws. a western country can prosecute citizens who go abroad and commit an act that is illegal in the country they have visited.

what about the likely reality that these locals don't want this court system? or to have to clean up the west's mess? or is it a case they and their rights wants and feelings don't matter?

that's just tough i'm afraid. syria doesn't want foreign terrorists, and they have an absolute right to not to have to have them, and to deport them to their countries of origin.

yes . we also know that major western powers, mainly the US and probably britain, funded and trained and armed isis, because essentially they were the greatist thing ever. now, some want the syrians, who have been through unthinkable and unimaginable conflict, to have to take on the burden of holding foreign terrorists, people who helped to destroy their country, and who caused millions to flee.

And with that, you're going on ignore. Sick of you stifling debate with your multiquotes, you're like everyone's own personal mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

unfortunately this is actually not the case. she could still very much pose a risk to ireland, if she is left in syria to rome free, or facilitated by turkey to illegally migrate wherever. that risk could likely be a lot more then if a managed return took place. this is why the west are going to have to take back their terrorists. along with trying to insure isis cannot re-group.

Come off it now EOTR, it is the case.

She is more of a risk to Ireland whilst in Ireland than if she was left in Syria or elsewhere, dont be losing the run of yourself now with nonsense.

Again, a "managed return" is a fallacy and will be of no benefit to the safety and security of the State.

1. She will be accompanied home...fine.
    2. Maybe have her passport taken away...whats the point in that? How does that guarantee Irish safety and security? It doesnt.
    3. She may be monitored...again, 24/7 forever? Nope.
    4. Is she employable?...doubt it.

What is a radicalised woman to do when she returns home with no freedom of movement, limited employment opportunity while under surveillance?

Will it breed contempt?
    Will she seek out likeminded Caliphate believers?
    Will she be accepted to the Muslim Community?

Is Ireland expected to leave it, forget about it, be grand?

Explain to me what life will be like for Lisa Smith on a return to Ireland over the next 5 years.

jmreire wrote: »

Of course its a matter of 'like or dislike'.

Are you saying you have no opinion on the matter? Stop hiding behind Political will.

She is coming home, we know that and some of us dislike that.

Will you be happy if an ISIL supporter or fighter who believes in a Caliphate moves nect door to you? Yes or no?

not particularly. however whether i'm comfortable with the likes of her returning home or not matters not and is irrelevant.

If you are going to engage and debate with posters and tell them they are wrong, your comfortability is very relevent EOTR.

Otherwise, whats the point in posting.

You say the State has an obligation and responsibility to accept returning ISIL supporters and fighters.

To some extent I agree. However, the responsibility does not end upon repatriation.

As someone who vocally supports the laws of the land and our Government, what is the likely end game here for Lisa Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They won't be sending the government jet its too far ,does one feel a sense of disappointment . https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/government-jet-not-sent-syria-14190263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if she can make it to the med she might well get picked up by our navy

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

if she can make it to the med she might well get picked up by our navy

Sea link stena line is picking her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Come off it now EOTR, it is the case.

She is more of a risk to Ireland whilst in Ireland than if she was left in Syria or elsewhere, dont be losing the run of yourself now with nonsense.

Again, a "managed return" is a fallacy and will be of no benefit to the safety and security of the State.

1. She will be accompanied home...fine.
    2. Maybe have her passport taken away...whats the point in that? How does that guarantee Irish safety and security? It doesnt.
    3. She may be monitored...again, 24/7 forever? Nope.
    4. Is she employable?...doubt it.

What is a radicalised woman to do when she returns home with no freedom of movement, limited employment opportunity while under surveillance?

Will it breed contempt?
    Will she seek out likeminded Caliphate believers?
    Will she be accepted to the Muslim Community?

Is Ireland expected to leave it, forget about it, be grand?

Explain to me what life will be like for Lisa Smith on a return to Ireland over the next 5 years.

I would imagine there will be some supportive Mosques somewhere in Ireland or UK willing to welcome and laud an ISIS bride. Vast majority will shun and her rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I would imagine there will be some supportive Mosques somewhere in Ireland or UK willing to welcome and laud an ISIS bride. Vast majority will shun and her rightly so.

Its the small minority who won't shun her we have to worry about .

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Does the Irish army oath, still hold after you leave the army?

slipperyox wrote: »
    Does the Irish army oath, still hold after you leave the army?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Da fuq? Is everything all right with you?

She can be fired into the fooking sun for all I care.

Don't confuse a couple of posters trying to explain the reality of a situation to you and then weirdly write it off as some sort of unbridled compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boggles wrote: »
    Da fuq? Is everything all right with you?

She can be fired into the fooking sun for all I care.

Don't confuse a couple of posters trying to explain the reality of a situation to you and then weirdly write it off as some sort of unbridled compassion.

Some people only see dichotomies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

My personal opinion is that these people should be subjected to some kind of Nuremberg type investigation and prosecution carried out by the government of Syria. The should not be repatriated until then, but when they are repatriated their country of origin should be responsible for imposing their sentences on them so that they are no longer the problem of Syria- who have been through enough at their hands quite frankly.

She should be given the option of keeping her child with her or turning her over to her family in Ireland. Not too sure of her level of decency so don't know if that would wash with her

I am aware that all of this is my opinion, and I don't know what the possibility of any of it happening would be, so it won't be necessary to eotr it out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lillyfae wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that these people should be subjected to some kind of Nuremberg type investigation and prosecution carried out by the government of Syria

Firstly the government of Syria is Assad and his brother, let's just say they may not have much love for the West.

Nuremberg indicted the "main players" in Nazi Germany, less than 200.

This woman wouldn't even be considered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement