Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

Sure why would the pattern in Ireland possibly follow the pattern everywhere else in Europe? :rolleyes:
    The only thing saving us now is being such a soft touch that we're basically staging posts for attacks in the UK. It's ****ing pathetic.

Also why are all the references to "Ms. Smith"? Why not refer to her by her married name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Also why are all the references to "Ms. Smith"? Why not refer to her by her married name?

Nobody wants to know "Ms. Smith's" married name that might skew the agenda. Who wouldnt mind living next to Mrs Smyth? but Mrs Aslam? "honey back your bags we are getting the hell outta Dundalk!!"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-woman-in-syria-says-she-never-trained-with-islamic-state-1.3852460

Gotta love this article. So she is out there is Syria? What did she think she was out there doing? Giving out her mothers Fairy cake recipe?

"“I just ran, ran with the crowd like I always do. Ask my mum, I run with the crowd all the time. And that’s what I did. I didn’t listen to anyone, I didn’t take any advice, I just ran. And I wish I didn’t. I wish I had just took my time.”"

She makes out she has the IQ of a teenager peer pressured into drinking WKD before going to an underage disco.

“I didn’t fight in Baghouz, I just took me and my child and got out of there all the time.”

You know about 100 years ago a load of Irish lads went off to the Somme to see what was the craic. They had less information than now and still she went. Allow her to keep her passport but stamp it "NOT VALID FOR EUROPE".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I would be fairly sure when you go to join this crowd of head bangers that you would be given some task to carry out to prove your committed to the cause. Like an initiation. Thinking these people were only spectators is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A large majority of people in this country are not happy about this but will our government listen to us? Not on your life will they.
    It'll be interesting to see how they do in the next general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would be fairly sure when you go to join this crowd of head bangers that you would be given some task to carry out to prove your committed to the cause. Like an initiation. Thinking these people were only spectators is nonsense.

You'd have thought so,but It appears that's not the case at all....according to Ms Smith.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/my-struggles-with-depression-brought-me-to-islam-says-isil-bride-smith-37992111.html
    My struggles with depression brought me to Islam, says 'Isil bride' Smith

At this stage it's probably best for sanity and circumspection to be shelved,and for this woman to be got back in here ASAP,any other route and we risk a death by a thousand puff-pieces in print and broadcast media.

Ms Smith/Mrs Aslam is now obviously recieving some PR guidance,with even her full veil appearance being toned down for Western Infidel tastes.

Equally,we see the introduction of depression,suicide and mental problems all now being floated in order to get a discussion going back here (It won't wash at all in the Syrian locale).

She will already be seen as a Media Goldmine here,which may be of some benefit to her unfortunate innocent daughter,if not to herself.

It;s over,just get her back and let her on. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    A large majority of people in this country are not happy about this but will our government listen to us? Not on your life will they.

How they do in the next general election will have nothing do with this woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Being discussed on pat Kenny now

The journalist says she is aware of 4 women with connections to Ireland in the camp

Irish residents is the way she put it

I watched the video and thought this Creature Tried to be manipulative and spin a yarn

but very obvious it’s a pack of lies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-woman-in-syria-says-she-never-trained-with-islamic-state-1.3852460

Gotta love this article. So she is out there is Syria? What did she think she was out there doing? Giving out her mothers Fairy cake recipe?

"“I just ran, ran with the crowd like I always do. Ask my mum, I run with the crowd all the time. And that’s what I did. I didn’t listen to anyone, I didn’t take any advice, I just ran. And I wish I didn’t. I wish I had just took my time.”"

She makes out she has the IQ of a teenager peer pressured into drinking WKD before going to an underage disco.

“I didn’t fight in Baghouz, I just took me and my child and got out of there all the time.”

You know about 100 years ago a load of Irish lads went off to the Somme to see what was the craic. They had less information than now and still she went. Allow her to keep her passport but stamp it "NOT VALID FOR EUROPE".
    This song clearly brainwashed her!

She comes across as entirely insincere, she is a cute hoor I will give her that she says what she thinks she needs to, in order to get what she wants unlike shamima begum.

This line "her Army training was irrelevant".
    Piss away off with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The part that stood out to me was her saying that she "...ran with the crowd".
    Given that she left Ireland to join them, I just wonder who and how big is this "crowd" (in Ireland) that she refers to.
    How many went?
    How many didn't go, and are still here?
    I find that the downplaying of these returning jihadis by some to be quite concerning. They didn't all go only to be "civilians" in their Sharia utopia. So obviously they have been coached to not say anything about what they did in case they may implicate themselves.
    She herself has said that she advocates Sharia Law and all that goes with it, she is not alone, as the numbers expressing this desire for Ireland are getting more vocal.
    Sharia is totally at odds with modern day Ireland where we have fully legislated for same sex relationships and marriage, but yet some don't see an issue for concern.
    I'd suggest to those who don't think its a problem to go find and watch videos of people being stoned to death, videos of people being bound and thrown from buildings for being gay, its Barbaric and Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/HaraldDoornbos/status/987224523035627527?
    Many children within IS received militia and ideological training. and comprehensive sharia training. children aged six or older already carried weapons, toddlers carried out executions on videos. you must know that before you retrieve them.

Harald Doornbos is a Dutch journalist who actually had his feet inside the caliphate.
    Not one of those know-it-alls who never leave the studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"I was very depressed in life. I didn't want to live anymore. I was one of these people that was like suicidal, you know"..

From todays Indo

Exactly what we don't need, an ISIS wench with military training feeling suicidal.

I wonder did she have any contact with that other wackjob Khalid Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Allow her to keep her passport but stamp it "NOT VALID FOR EUROPE".

that is not possible given she is a citizen of europe and nowhere else. the situation has been explained hundreds of times in this thread. she will have to return to ireland, and she will be doing so regardless of what you or anyone else want, whether we take her back or whether syria deports her. if you got your way, then any country could essentially be forced to keep foreign terrorists, including western countries. that is why international law is as it is, to force countries to take responsibility for their citizens and to allow countries to deport foreign criminals to their country of origin.
    eagle eye wrote: »

of course they aren't going to listen to people who want us to break international law and all that goes with it, or who believe countries should be able to dump their terrorist citizens on the syrians or others. i wouldn't expect anything different from a proper government. and i'm certainly no fan of fg, but at least they are taking their responsibilities on this matter seriously.unlike
    how fg will do at the next election will be down to their record as a whole.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭jmreire

Former director of military intelligence, Lieutenant Colonel Michael Murphy ( retired) has serious reservation's about Lisa Smith's story, according to a news article today on the Irish Mail. To him, it seems that her story is just an attempt to get out of trouble after doing something very wrong. And due to the absence of relevant Irish Law's, it's going to prove extremely difficult to prove she broke any law that would apply here. In 2017 there was a EU directive that travelling to any isis controlled territory be made a crime, but it was not ratified here in Ireland. But he said,, all of her friends, especially the one's she was "running with" will need to be investigated too. And this investigation should be carried out before she is allowed back to Ireland. Most likely what will happen when (if) she gets home, she will be interviewed by the Gardai, but unless she incriminates herself by admitting carrying out atrocities while with isis, she will be released, but most likely will need 7 day, 24hr surveillance for the foreseeable future, which could stretch into years. Assuming that she still has her passport ( the caliphate took the passports of most of their follower's on arrival ) she should be allowed back, but not with the Irish Taxpayer picking up the bill. She found her own way out, she can find her own way back. The only argument to this is her having a child, which complicate's matters.

I wonder did she have any contact with that other wackjob Khalid Kelly

Terry from the Liberties? Sorry he is spread over Helmand province. Great lad all the same. Got an own goal with a one time suicide bomber. Didnt take anyone with him. Does that qualify you for martyr status? I mean whats the score on that one?

that is not possible given she is a citizen of europe and nowhere else. the situation has been explained hundreds of times in this thread. she will have to return to ireland, and she will be doing so regardless of what you or anyone else want, whether we take her back or whether syria deports her. if you got your way, then any country could essentially be forced to keep foreign terrorists, including western countries. that is why international law is as it is, to force countries to take responsibility for their citizens and to allow countries to deport foreign criminals to their country of origin.

She is a citizen of ISIL, she can stay there. I dont expect any European country to take her in. In fact if If the Irish government was serious about protecting her citizens, they would dispatch the traitor. She is not a criminal, she is a traitor. What Syria military court does with her is their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

She is a citizen of ISIL, she can stay there. I dont expect any European country to take her in. In fact if If the Irish government was serious about protecting her citizens, they would dispatch the traitor. She is not a criminal, she is a traitor. What Syria military court does with her is their business.

A citizen of ISIL? That's like saying someone is a citizen of the IRA. Doesn't make sense at all. She's an Irish citizen and should be brought home and tied up on the main Street for public lashing and stoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have to say for someone supposedly suffering she's looking very healthy and looked after

• Advertisement

You would'nt want to get too worked up with eotr....it's never ending ;)

The reality is that this woman has managed to embed herself into a certain media grouping who are active within the Camps.

The Reporters concerned,are now eagerly competing to file ever more "relevant" and"on-message" pieces concerning otherwise well educated Western people who had a sudden flash of intense white light,found themselves married to complete strangers and living in a fundamentalist Islamic caliphate without having the remotest idea of how it all happened.

In the meantime,the Micheal Murphy's of our world will be scorned for speaking plain truth....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/no-choice-about-allowing-lisa-smith-back-to-ireland-expert-says-1.3853069
    We have no choice about allowing Lisa Smith back into this country. She found her way there, I’m sure she can find her way back here. Where is her passport? She never said what happened to her passport,” Mr Murphy said.

“As far as I believe, when you went to an Isis territory, you handed over your passport. You took out citizenship of the caliphate. Did she hand over citizenship to the caliphate? There are a lot of questions here.”

This lad is FAR too sensible for his own good......
    When the Government says it is going to carry out a threat assessment, a threat assessment should be carried out before anybody comes back into this country, not afterwards - that is a bit late,” he said.

This wan is already on her way,aided by a very significant committment by Minister Coveney,which I would suggest only appears to be brought forward when he engages with Irish folks who become embroiled in Muslim dealings ??
    Last month, Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney said Ireland had a responsibility to both Ms Smith and her two-year old daughter

"a" responsibility then becomes a little more specific...
    “This is an unusual case because of her background in the last number of years. But the Taoiseach and I have made it very clear she is an Irish citizen and she is the responsibility of Ireland and we are very conscious of that,” he said at the end of March.

“We have a responsibility towards her and, in particular, her daughter. We will try to follow through on that responsibility and find a way to bring her home.

Fairly heavy hitting stuff there,from a European Union Senior Cabinet Member.

I wonder,however,if Mr Coveney,or his advisers have really thought his words through,as the same State has in the past been far less solicitious to other Citizens who "lost their way" and fell foul of Johnny Foreigner and their madcap legal systems....;)

C'mon Simon,spit it out,what makes this lady's case SO deserving of such herculean diplomatic efforts ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

she is not a citizen of isis as they are not a state and are rightly not recognized. the only way she could be a citizen of isis is if isis were to be recognized which quite rightly is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

she is not a citizen of isis as they are not a state

They are a terrorist organisation and she's a full fledged member making her a terrorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gatling wrote: »
    They are a terrorist organisation and she's a full fledged member making her a terrorist

But still an Irish citizen. There is no such place as ISIL which is what is being disputed

A citizen of ISIL? That's like saying someone is a citizen of the IRA. Doesn't make sense at all. She's an Irish citizen and should be brought home and tied up on the main Street for public lashing and stoning.

Not really because ISIL used to a some sort of functioning army and funding, weapons procurement, health service and she bought into it. There is no responsibility for us to take her back. She can take her grievance up with the Caliphate

Have to say for someone supposedly suffering she's looking very healthy and looked after

True indeed,and this appears to be quite a common denominator for those who become embroiled in "stuff" whilst innocently strolling in the evening sunshine ?

https://proxy1.baaz.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fremote%2Fmedia.central.ie%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fl%2FLisaSmithISISIrishSoldier100319_large.jpg%3Fwidth%3D648%26s%3Die-910018&key=WyCYrLGm0XEL7AbdslblhQ

Another somewhat revealing and lengthy interview here,in which we are assured of the inate goodness of the Caliphate....

https://extra.ie/2019/04/07/news/irish-news/lisa-smith-interview-syria-camp
    ‘This is what we came for, you know. We came for, like, no alcohol… no prostitution, no gays, no anything… And, for me, I really liked to live in the Islamic State because I never got to see any of this. I just had to experience a lot of bombing and this, that and the other, and hearing someone died and hearing this and hearing that but I didn’t have to see any of that.’

I'm sure we'll find a way around the "no gays" bit....a form of words perhaps ?

However the most revealing point for me is that last observation by the reporter...
    Under Irish law it is not an offence to move to Isis territory, a fact that Lisa seems to be acutely aware of.

You GO girl ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AlekSmart wrote: »

I wonder,however,if Mr Coveney,or his advisers have really thought his words through,as the same State has in the past been far less solicitious to other Citizens who "lost their way" and fell foul of Johnny Foreigner and their madcap legal systems....;)

She is in a place that doesn't have a internationally recognized legal system, it's not a country or a state.

But if they did.

Embassies helped more than 2,000 Irish in distress last year
    Nearly 2,200 Irish citizens in distress abroad, including 344 who were arrested and 318 who suffered medical emergencies, received consular assistance up to the end of November.

It would seem your Dreams:Reality ratio needs readjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well no, its more like saying those hanged at Nuremberg were "citizens of The Third Reich" ie a failed state.

agreed and i have never stated otherwise. however it is separate to the point i made.
    Not really because ISIL used to a some sort of functioning army and funding, weapons procurement, health service and she bought into it. There is no responsibility for us to take her back. She can take her grievance up with the Caliphate

what sort of systems they had is irrelevant to the fact they are not a state and are not recognised by most of the world. the caliphate doesn't exist and it ultimately never really did. ultimately we do have a responsibility to take her back whether she comes back herself or is deported. you don't have to like it but people will need to come to terms with the realities as i have said a plenty, because they are unlikely to change due to the fact that the consequences are to grave for us all and can just as easily effect the west as anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Not really because ISIL used to a some sort of functioning army and funding, weapons procurement, health service and she bought into it.
    Also control of territory, a capital city (Raqqa) a functioning civil service, a (sharia) courts system, and a lucrative industry exporting oil via Turkey. Just because it ultimately failed does not mean it wasn't a state while it lasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement