Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭jmreire

BarryD2 wrote: »
    One thing I don't get is why several senior politicians here including Leo himself, keep putting their oar in and insisting she should be 'brought home'. Usually politicians avoid thorny issues like this unless they are obliged to confront them. Kinda odd.

Because in the first place,, there is no legal way to stop her. She has not broken any law's here in Ireland. So as she cannot be stopped, then she has to be welcomed...and that's the "humanitarian" face of the Government. Leo jumping on the current "hot" topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Gatling wrote: »
    They should think back to when they were broadcasting about the slaughter of the Yazidis people ,
    Rte are a sham

I knew something was afoot this morning, it had BREAKING NEWS in massive font followed by "Lisa smith thinks she might never come home"

How is this the main news headline?
    And the Prime time interview, we telegraphed that moths ago, this is all so predictable. I wonder who has encouraged them to start the propaganda?
    I am going to complain this is a waste of my licensing funds

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Huge hands

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Lisa Smith thread merged with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

jay0109 wrote: »
    Dressed like an extra from a Halloween B movie.

"I want to live in a Muslim state".
    Good, that's case closed. Ireland's not a muslim country....yet. So we don't have to bring her back.

There are 2 female's who are 100% certain that Lisa Smith was the lady who trained them on how to use weapons in Syria. Case closed a 2nd time. No need to bring her back.

If you pay close attention, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment that bigotry and paranoia took over and the topic itself went out the window.

We're talking about one Irish woman who left the country to join a bunch of murderers, don't bring all Muslims into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭Odhinn

GooglePlus wrote: »
    If you pay close attention, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment that bigotry and paranoia took over and the topic itself went out the window.

We're talking about one Irish woman who left the country to join a bunch of murderers, don't bring all Muslims into this.

Also there's an innocent child involved. They aren't responsible for the sins of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Odhinn wrote: »
    Also there's an innocent child involved. They aren't responsible for the sins of their parents.
    Are you suggesting the innocent child should stay with the mentally ill terrorist?
    Because the child can be taken away and then the sex-tourist terrorist can't hold us all including the child, to ransom.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

She was fighting for a mercinary army in Syria against the government. Let her face justice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I read the article on RTE's website today about her, she claimed to have no knowledge of what ISIS were at. I find that very hard to believe. She left Ireland not to just live in a Muslim country, but an Islamic fundamentalist state - and would have been very aware of what that meant.

ISIS made their name by being this extreme Wahhabist fundamentalist state - they made their name with beheadings, torture, execution, through fear and intimidation. I do not buy for a minute anyone, especially a woman of her age, would not have been aware of exactly what ISIS stood for and exactly what they intended to do.

Had they won, she'd still be out there. I think she's seen the interviews and media reception to the young London girl who had her passport revoked by the British because in her interviews, at least on RTE's website, she's very couched - putting every possible suggestion on the backfoot - it couldn't possibly be me, how is it me? I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Are you suggesting the innocent child should stay with the mentally ill terrorist?
    Because the child can be taken away and then the sex-tourist terrorist can't hold us all including the child, to ransom.

There is no suggestion at the moment that shes mentally ill, and I fail to see how one woman will be holding anyone or thing to ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Watching her (Lisa Smith) smirk her way through a Prime Time interview now. Comes across as a right bull****ter.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    She identified as British a while ago in an interview. Apparently in her latest interview she has said she’s Irish and has Irished up her accent.

Would you have the interview where she self-identified as "British"? It would save us a fortune if she could go there - and there are definitely areas there aspiring to be mini Muslim states, something she said she wanted to live in.

I was surprised at how ineloquent Smith was in tonight's RTÉ interview. Leaving aside the "I seen" and "I done" stuff, she just seemed to lack any sort of ability to articulate a media savvy explanation for things. It's simply not believable that somebody who was in the Irish Army was not involved in training ISIS volunteers, especially given her repeatedly expressed desire to live in an Islamic state. She could have simply admitted it and put the whole thing in terms of "we all make mistakes" and simply explained herself in a way believers of any Christian denomination in Ireland could understand. She also should have made it clear she has an absolute right to come home and had the cop-on to link it back to Irish-born British soldiers being allowed back into the Irish state even though, unlike her, they fought against Irish people in the North.

She seems like she's still an incredibly ignorant woman - her comment to the effect that her current status is having no impact on her child as "she's too young" was gobsmacking given all we know about how much a child soaks up in their first years and how it creates so many problems down the road. That poor, poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

She's either deluded or an outright liar.
    My money is on the latter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I was surprised at how ineloquent Smith was in tonight's RTÉ interview. Leaving aside the "I seen" and "I done" stuff, she just seemed to lack any sort of ability to articulate a media savvy explanation for things. It's simply not believable that somebody who was in the Irish Army was not involved in training ISIS volunteers, especially given her repeatedly expressed desire to live in a muslim state. She could have simply admitted it and put the whole thing in terms of "we all make mistakes" and simply explained herself in a way believers of any Christian denomination in Ireland could understand. She also should have made it clear she has an absolute right to come home and had the cop-on to link it back to Irish-born British soldiers being allowed back into the Irish state even though, unlike her, they fought against Irish people in the North.

She seems like she's still an incredibly ignorant woman - her comment to the effect that her current status is having no impact on her child as "she's too young" was gobsmacking given all we know about how much a child soaks up in their first years and how it creates so many problems down the road. That poor, poor child.

I suppose we need to remember that she has spent the last few years living in an environment where, for her, everything was as it was supposed to be and everything was her way, according to her views. She's a fundamentalist, extremist Muslim convert and she was living in a fundamentalist, extremist Islamic pseudo-state with like-minded people. When you are part of a majority it is easy to forget how other people think and that others don't share your views - the impression I got is that she doesn't feel the need to justify herself. She doesn't really get how we view people like her. And yes, profoundly ignorant also.

She's said that it "didn't work out" and it "wasn't worth it", like it had been a big disappointment - the implicit premise being that she wished it had and she wished the Islamic State was still conquering territory. So her thinking hasn't changed.

She's now putting on a poor mouth and saying she wants to return to Ireland but can't see it happening. She wasn't saying that a couple of years ago. She was perfectly happy to be living in the Caliphate, knowing that people were being beheaded and stoned and that ISIS fighters were commiting genocide and other war crimes, and she was perfectly happy to be living there. It's only now that it's all fallen apart that she wants to come home. F*ck her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Leaving aside the "I seen" and "I done" stuff,

Do you think her current situation has had a major impact on her grammar or perhaps it has been so long since she spoke English on a daily basis. I doubt she managed to gain rank in the Irish Army talking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

When the accusation was put to her about training young girls to fight for isis, which is a credible claim considering her training "get them in front of me ". It's like put them in front of me so I can intimidate them.

She would want to be very careful if she gets home. That child needs to be removed from her for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Seems she went off to ISIS on a deluded sex trip to get her jollies off the mercenaries - let her stay there. We don't need the hassle here.
    The state can find a way to get the child back. F**k Lisa, she is more hassle than she is worth because your taxes will be used to monitor her and her ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

(1) on the assumption that she still wants to be a devout Muslim and wants to continue practicing her faith in a very Muslim country, then why does she not express a desire to be taken in by such a country. There are hundreds of them out there . She has stated that what she wanted from the Caliphate was not experienced by her so I assume that she is still on the ‘lookout ‘ for such a setup.
    (2) it beggars belief that she had no inkling of the ‘carry on’ in the Caliphate re beheadings, etc, etc. the Caliphate made it a core part of its strategy to get out into the public domain what it was doing and what it was capable of doing.. so how did she miss all of that
    (3) I will credit her with a fairly good level of intelligence/smartness. She is no chicken.therefor I would have expected her to have done some basic research , before she went out, such as read the daily papers, talk to other Muslims. , google key words, follow El Gazera- the communications platform that the Caliphate mainly used to get its message out and especially to the west, etc,
    etc,etc.
    (4) the fathers child was English. Has his family no say in the child’s nationality ? (5) ALL individuals living in the Caliphate were watched for unacceptable behavior - especially with regards to appropriate dress, Signs of LBTG behavior, alcohol, any kind of sex / sexual behavior outside of a strict code etc, etc, etc. there were official / voluntary spies all over the place. Also w,women were treated in a very subservient way - used as chattel. If an individual was reported by anybody breaking ‘a rule’ death Wes quiet often the punishment . What a change from her Irish experience.
    Yet she gives the clear impression that she went shopping, did all the things that women do, that life was normal there and saw nothing out of the ordinary there

(6) why go to Tunisia first. And if she was a true muslim why was she traveling as a single woman - especially through Muslim countries

(8) her long term plan , I guess, is to get back to ireland ,lie low, regroup and start all over again. I note that she has not denounced the principal of the Caliphate or the various more radical Islamic persuasions

To Put It Mildlly SHE REALLY BEGGARS BELIEF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,686 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’ll be a hero and role model for Irish jihadis if brought back.

Leave here there and let her face the consequences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you think her current situation has had a major impact on her grammar or perhaps it has been so long since she spoke English on a daily basis. I doubt she managed to gain rank in the Irish Army talking like that.

She unlearned grammar in Isis? There an Irish and Dublin way of talking. She probably did do it in the army.

I can never tell if you are trolling. Most of your arguments are low quality questions, diverting from the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,686 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just one small observation

Her diction/clipped speech pattern is weird as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Limpy wrote: »
    She was fighting for a mercinary army in Syria against the government. Let her face justice there.

They don’t want her. We just need to make Isis a proscribed organisation. Then we just need to prove she is a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Maybe she is smart enough to talk in tones so as to endear herself to the nation. You have some of the radio presenters, etc, putting on certain tones to try and make them more acceptable to their audiences. They would be ‘ slippin’ and ‘slidin’ Through the conversation. The late Fr John O Donoghue, poet. Used to indulge in tones a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Despite what she claims, she has been speaking arabic and speaking it fluently.

tuxy wrote: »

No, I'd say she always talked like that (although you could hear the change in her accent). I was very surprised at the "I seen" and "I done" expressions as I was under the impression she was an officer in the Irish Army but it seems she only rose to Airman 3*, which is apparently just below corporal. No doubting she was Irish though when she said "do be" (bíonn).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, I'd say she always talked like that (although you could hear the change in her accent). I was very surprised at the "I seen" and "I done" expressions as I was under the impression she was an officer in the Irish Army but it seems she only rose to Airman 3*, which is apparently just below corporal. No doubting she was Irish though when she said "do be" (bíonn).

Perhaps she is a Frank Sinatra fan? I'll get me coat.

Seriously though, she was a 3 star private, which is the lowest post training rank. Everybody who finishes their training starts at 3 star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Perhaps she is a Frank Sinatra fan? I'll get me coat.

Seriously though, she was a 3 star private, which is the lowest post training rank. Everybody who finishes their training starts at 3 star.

She was a "diversity hire". Many "woke" organisations are getting in on it. I doubt she was the armys first choice, rather a liberal politicians one or civil servant. Whichever unit a member of a defence forces is of can tell you more about them than their rank. A L/S in the Navy Communications and Computer Center in Haulbowline might have a higher skill set than an infantry Lieutenant?
    An Airwoman with knowledge of the procedures of the MATS security might be of interest to some planing an attack on the Irish Air Corps/ Cabinet member.

I think she was a glorified Trolley Dolly but she did have 3 star training done, and she would have other courses done as well to keep her contract renewed. She may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed but she would have had a lot of access to information and procedures. Might be a good idea to let the DF do its own recruiting and not have the civil service interfering.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She was a "diversity hire". Many "woke" organisations are getting in on it. I doubt she was the armys first choice, rather a liberal politicians one or civil servant.

what exactly are you basing that on apart from very obvious ignorance?
    Whichever unit a member of a defence forces is of can tell you more about them than their rank. A L/S in the Navy Communications and Computer Center in Haulbowline might have a higher skill set than an infantry Lieutenant?
    An Airwoman with knowledge of the procedures of the MATS security might be of interest to some planing an attack on the Irish Air Corps/ Cabinet member.

I think she was a glorified Trolley Dolly but she did have 3 star training done, and she would have other courses done as well to keep her contract renewed. She may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed but she would have had a lot of access to information and procedures. Might be a good idea to let the DF do its own recruiting and not have the civil service interfering.

Every member of the defence forces has 3 star training done. It is nothing special. and she never renewed her contract. she did 5 years in the army and then 5 years in the air corp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

what exactly are you basing that on apart from very obvious ignorance?

Every member of the defence forces has 3 star training done. It is nothing special. and she never renewed her contract. she did 5 years in the army and then 5 years in the air corp.

Well there were descriptions that she "was a party girl" We all know what that means. You only get 5 year contracts with the army. She got two of them. She had to get out after the second because she want "NCO material". In the first one you complete training. In the second you must do 3 training courses or so many missions to retain your contract and also pass your life test and be of A or Bx standard.
    Before your third contract you must be an NCO or be Captain. It seems harsh but you cant have 50 year old privates going around or the "runner" in Finnar who was 24 stone.

Now we were talking about ignorance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement