Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I agree it is a very dangerous precedent to set and where do you draw the line afterwards with the state but she is clearly guilty of deserting the state and taking up arms against its interests.
    what specific offence is "deserting the state"?
    There are "neater" ways of doing it that get the same desired effects.
    there does seem to be a sickening bloodlust from you and others. Precisely the sort of thing you would condemn if ISIS did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Has anyone actually heard of anyone who has been denationalised?
    It's against international law to leave a person stateless.

And Ireland has never revoked the citizenship of somebody who acquired it by birth (as opposed to naturalisation). I doubt such a process even exists.

UK talked long and hard about doing it with Shamima Begum but haven't been able to do so yet.

On the general topic, whenever a foreigner here (or even a citizen through naturalisation) commits some horrible crime, the general trend on places like Boards is that they should be sent back to wherever they came from (either after prison, or immediately, to serve the sentence there). I guess that the Kurds/Syrians feel the same about her - she should be sent back to wherever she came from.

Unfortunately for us, she comes from here. When nobody else will take her, I guess we will have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

what specific offence is "deserting the state"?

there does seem to be a sickening bloodlust from you and others. Precisely the sort of thing you would condemn if ISIS did it.

Considering that ISIS is fighting our allies (WEU) and other military agreement we are part of. She is by de facto fighting the Irish state.

We cannot continue on the way we are going handing out passports and citizenships to every yahoo who turn up at our door and then have them turn up 6 months later in the hands of the Syrians or Kurds/NATO MPs. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Considering that ISIS is fighting our allies (WEU) and other military agreement we are part of. She is by de facto fighting the Irish state.

We cannot continue on the way we are going handing out passports and citizenships to every yahoo who turn up at our door and then have them turn up 6 months later in the hands of the Syrians or Kurds/NATO MPs. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

She's an irish citizen of irish ethnicity born to irish citizens of irish ethnicity.

osarusan wrote: »
    Unfortunately for us, she comes from here. When nobody else will take her, I guess we will have to.

How about we let her keep her citizenship but do not allow her to return? Many States refused to take back fighters from Afghanistan after the Russians retreated. I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I guess that the Kurds feel the same about her - she should be sent back to wherever she came from.

This is true, the Kurds don't have the resources or desire to deal with all these foreigners causing trouble in land they control.
    If they had the resources to send them on planes home they would.

And before someone say it, no they are not going to just slaughter thousands of of women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On the general topic, whenever a foreigner here (or even a citizen through naturalisation) commits some horrible crime, the general trend on places like Boards is that they should be sent back to wherever they came from (either after prison, or immediately, to serve the sentence there).

Actually not necessarily true we've had situations where foreigners commit serious crimes and get granted asylum after they have been convicted.

Only one way to deal with some like your one and that is permanently removed word it anyway you want she's a terrorist and traitor to the state

the WEU has been defunct since 2011. we have a mutual defence agreement with some countries but that is all.
    irrelevant in this case

How about we let her keep her citizenship but do not allow her to return? Many States refused to take back fighters from Afghanistan after the Russians retreated. I wonder why?

there is no mechanism to prevent her entering the state

tuxy wrote: »
    This is true, the Kurds don't have the resources or desire to deal with all these foreigners causing trouble in land they control.
    If they had the resources to send them on planes home they would.

And before someone say it, no they are not going to just slaughter thousands of of women and children.

.... and for years the Kurds have had their own children and women gassed mortared and raped for years by opposing forces. You think they are going to turn the other cheek now the tables have turned?

• Advertisement

.... and for years the Kurds have had their own children and women gassed mortared and raped for years by opposing forces. You think they are going to turn the other cheek now the tables have turned?

does that seem to be what they are doing. they are a lot more civilised than some here.

there is no mechanism to prevent her entering the state

....... not yet. But it cant continue this way

....... not yet. But it cant continue this way

one does not exist and there is no intention to introduce one.

one does not exist and there is no intention to introduce one.

It could be an election issue.

It could be an election issue.

only amongst fringe lunatics

Agreed, that is how lunatics get into power because the powers that be dont put it down hard and fast on the first day.

It's still possible it's worth the debate rather than people saying no no no

Gatling wrote: »
    It's still possible it's worth the debate rather than people saying no no no

it really isn't. It is beyond stupid. If somebody has broken irish law then prosecute them.

You are very naive to think that the Irish state has never done this sort of thing before or gotten a cleanskin to do it for them

You are very naive to think that the Irish state has never done this sort of thing before or gotten a cleanskin to do it for them

put down the chris ryan books

• Advertisement

I don't know about other countries' citizenship laws (although they are to a certain extent bound to international law anyway), but I don't think Ireland has any way to stop an Irish citizen returning to Ireland. I think this would effectively be the same as leaving them stateless (if they were not a citizen of any other country).

As far as I'm aware (and I haven't followed it too closely), Lisa Smith has not acquired any other citizenship anyway.

it really isn't. It is beyond stupid. If somebody has broken irish law then prosecute them.

What bring them back here and all the expense of a trial? Then an appeal and if it all works out and doesnt sue the state. We then hold her in the womens prison where she is in with 150 real head bangers to convert? Mother of Jesus!!!

As far as I'm aware (and I haven't followed it too closely), Lisa Smith has not acquired any other citizenship anyway.

Wasnt she married to some muslim guy? She can return to his state and claim residency there. If Ireland wasnt good enough for her surely that state cant be any worse?

Wasnt she married to some muslim guy? She can return to his state and claim residency there. If Ireland wasnt good enough for her surely that state cant be any worse?

Marriage is not citizenship.
    She won't be let in without citizenship of that country.

it really isn't. It is beyond stupid.

Why is it beyond stupid ,

She's a terrorist and null and voids her rights anyone supporting her to be brought back and essentially freed without any prosecution needs to look at themselves would you like her living beside you and your family (or is that a stupid) too the thought of her living beside you and your loved one's

tuxy wrote: »
    Marriage is not citizenship.
    She won't be let in without citizenship of that country.

Why not? he was British Born.

Wherever he was from - they don't want to take her, any more than we do. It's not a question of where she wants to go, it's a question of who, reluctantly, has to take her.

What bring them back here and all the expense of a trial? Then an appeal and if it all works out and doesnt sue the state. We then hold her in the womens prison where she is in with 150 real head bangers to convert? Mother of Jesus!!!

that is what civilised countries do. as far as i am aware we are still a civilised country

Why not? he was British Born.

Was the marriage legitimate?
    If it was she can apply for British citizenship and see if they will accept it. I'm sure they would be delighted!

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Why is it beyond stupid ,

She's a terrorist and null and voids her rights anyone supporting her to be brought back and essentially freed without any prosecution needs to look at themselves would you like her living beside you and your family (or is that a stupid) too the thought of her living beside you and your loved one's

I love NIMBY's none of this stuff gets real until it happens in their own backyard. Then they are all up in arms and down to the TD's office to give them a hair dryer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement