Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gatling wrote: »
    Not .

Simple

Expand so. You stated quite clearly she should be executed.

I don't support her.

So what should or will happen? If you could base your answer in around reality it would add greatly to the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I can imagine a few Georgie Burgess figures on here ahhh poor Lisa are you alright there luv ...... Deadly ride !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can imagine a few Georgie Burgess figures on here ahhh poor Lisa are you alright there luv ...... Deadly ride !!!

why would you even bother posting nonsense like that?

Great point, never thought about it like that. :confused:

Going to stop engaging with you now I think.

As you were.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd rather she was dealth with but her supporters and their ilk are on the same sympathisers page seems to want her home so others can be put at risk .

Till something happens to their families as a result then watch as they demand inquiries as to why she was brought back oh the irony

Gatling, the reality is that she cannot be stopped ( legally anyway) from coming home ( and if the Govt really wanted her home, instead of paying lip service to the issue, she would be home along time ago.But now the same firm of solicitors who handled the Halawa case have been engaged by her family to push for her return, so expect to see some movement now, as the Govt will be forced to act,)
    So yes, she will be arriving home, and the question is what will happen then? Do you consider anyone facing up to this reality as been a "Lisa Supporter who are pushing for her return, as you mention in your post? " Because aside from her immediate Family...I don't see anyone actually pushing for her return.We are all aware of who isis is and what they have done,,,so you can be damn sure that there will be no "Welcome Home Lisa" group at Dublin airport when she arrives...on the contrary, she will have to be"smuggled" through the airport,,,car meets her at the plane, and departs out via a service entrance. Can you image if her actual flight Nr and arrival time were made public, what kind of reception committee would be waiting??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are you actually suprised

Couldn't have made it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

From the Indo letters page...

Are we being hypocrites when it comes to one of our own, Lisa Smith, and her child?

We had a National Day of Commemoration on Sunday, July 14, for all Irish men and women who died in all wars. We did not differentiate what war, what side they fought for or the reasons they went to war.

Why now be selective towards a fellow citizen who ended up in a war zone and who wishes to return home with her child?

One hundred years ago we had the War of Independence, then a Civil War, and survivors learned to live in harmony here.

We had Irish fight on both sides in the Spanish Civil War and there was no objection to the return of survivors (as Fine Gael should know).

We had Irish fight in World War II. We have had the Troubles and now the Peace Process.

We have had people from other countries living here who as conscripts or volunteers fought in wars in their own land, and no remarks.

I say welcome home Lisa and your child, you have suffered enough.

As the Nazarene taught us, think before you throw the stone.

Paddy Murray

Co Westmeath

From the Indo letters page...

Are we being hypocrites when it comes to one of our own, Lisa Smith, and her child?

We had a National Day of Commemoration on Sunday, July 14, for all Irish men and women who died in all wars. We did not differentiate what war, what side they fought for or the reasons they went to war.

Why now be selective towards a fellow citizen who ended up in a war zone and who wishes to return home with her child?

One hundred years ago we had the War of Independence, then a Civil War, and survivors learned to live in harmony here.

We had Irish fight on both sides in the Spanish Civil War and there was no objection to the return of survivors (as Fine Gael should know).

We had Irish fight in World War II. We have had the Troubles and now the Peace Process.

We have had people from other countries living here who as conscripts or volunteers fought in wars in their own land, and no remarks.

I say welcome home Lisa and your child, you have suffered enough.

As the Nazarene taught us, think before you throw the stone.

Paddy Murray

Co Westmeath

Was it yourself that sent that into the Indo Paddy/Patrick?

• Advertisement

Oh look imported terrorist wants to keep his Irish citizenship

An imprisoned jihadist is mounting a fresh legal battle to stop his Irish citizenship being revoked.

Algerian-born Ali Charaf Damache, who is serving a 15-year sentence in the US for providing material support to Islamist terrorists, was informed last October that Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan intended to strip him of his citizenship. A High Court challenge aimed at restraining the minister was dismissed in May by Mr Justice Richard Humphreys.

However, the Irish Independent has learned a notice of intention to appeal that decision was filed with the Court of Appeal last week.

The 54-year-old claims the rarely used law allowing citizenship to be revoked is repugnant to the Constitution.

He also claims a revocation would lead to him being deported to Algeria on his release, where he fears he will be mistreated.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/jihadist-in-new-bid-to-avoid-being-stripped-of-citizenship-38326689.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Boggles wrote: »
    Was it yourself that sent that into the Indo Paddy/Patrick?

LOL....no, I'd be more in the let her rot camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Its a real problem. She cannot be brought back and integrated back into society and we cannot dispatch her? She cannot be tried or held here in Ireland because the crime was abroad.

How about we pay the Kurds to keep her in Kurdistan until her sentence is complete and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than having her in the Dochas center where she would be converting other headbangers. Really this would be a Kurdish matter beyond our control.

Stephen15 wrote: »

This has all Daddy Halawa and Ali Selims finger prints all over it. There is no way a working class family could hire a lawyer for a sustained campaign like this is going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Ended up"?
    She volunteered into a foreign power
    Smith moved to Syria, via Tunisia, in 2015 shortly after leaving the Air Corps where she worked as a flight attendant on the Government jet and as a driver to senior officers.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/varadkar-wants-lisa-smith-to-return-to-ireland-because-of-her-child-1.3960263

The only way I can see her back is into a prison cell forever but the likes of Leo and his friends probably will just unleash her onto Irish streets with no sanctions.

biko wrote: »
    "Ended up"?
    She volunteered into a foreign power

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/varadkar-wants-lisa-smith-to-return-to-ireland-because-of-her-child-1.3960263

The only way I can see her back is into a prison cell forever but the likes of Leo and his friends probably will just unleash her onto Irish streets with no sanctions.

what crime has she actually committed?

biko wrote: »

"The Government rejected a plan from the Defence Forces to bring her home from Syria two months ago through co-operation with foreign intelligence agencies.

The plan, which was drawn up by the Directorate of Military Intelligence, also known as J2, was presented to Minister of State for Defence Paul Kehoe in late April.

It would have involved her being removed from the camp and sent south to the Jordanian border and to safety. However, the Department of Foreign Affairs wants the gardaí instead to bring her home."

What did all that mean? They were going to bust her out using force? How would the Military intelligence concoct a plan without being been given the go ahead by a politician to start it?

So they do want to bring her home but through legal channels.
    I swear to God the mind boggles.

How about we pay the Kurds to keep her in Kurdistan until her sentence is complete

What has she been convicted of by Kurds and what sentence did she get?

:confused:

Also we have double jeopardy laws.

What has she been convicted of by Kurds and what sentence did she get?

:confused:

Also we have double jeopardy laws.

She will be convicted of being a member of ISIS by the Kurds. She is a person of interest to them as a potential mercenary/member of an international Brigade. The Geneva convention doesnt cover mercenaries/members of an International Brigade, so they are free to do with her as they please. Once again that matter is in the hands of the Kurds.

I have not suggested that we try her or punish her here, once again a kurdish matter. We all know what happens to mercenaries when a coup fails? Play stupid games win stupid prizes

She will be convicted of being a member of ISIS by the Kurds. She is a person of interest to them as a potential mercenary/member of an international Brigade. The Geneva convention doesnt cover mercenaries/members of an International Brigade, so they are free to do with her as they please. Once again that matter is in the hands of the Kurds.

I have not suggested that we try her or punish her here, once again a kurdish matter. We all know what happens to mercenaries when a coup fails? Play stupid games win stupid prizes

and the kurds have said they just want rid of her. they have no interest in putting her on trial.

• Advertisement

and the kurds have said they just want rid of her. they have no interest in putting her on trial.

Foolish Idea, if she gets away scottfree then that means anyone can come out there consequence free.
    Poor auld Lisa, the only thing she is more popular than is a dose of Herpes.

She will be convicted of being a member of ISIS by the Kurds.

Have you a link for that?

Have you a link for that?

Well No but if they dont that means anyone can comeout and join ISIS without any repercussions. Its worse than humanely releasing mice into the garden, they will be back in before night fall

Well No but

What did you say for so?

Well No but if they dont that means anyone can comeout and join ISIS without any repercussions. Its worse than humanely releasing mice into the garden, they will be back in before night fall

We all know she's terrorist who's part of Isis her fan club on here seems to have an alternative universe theory about poor oul Sharon I mean lisa

We all know she's terrorist who's part of Isis her fan club on here seems to have an alternative universe theory about poor oul Sharon I mean lisa

just asking straightforward questions that you and skooter seem unable to answer.

What did you say for so?

Well she wasnt in Syria for the legendary Bacon Sandwiches and she is trained combatant from a first world army. Alarm bells are ringing. It would be very foolish to release her. Not because of the damage she may do but for the message it would send to Jihad Seans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

"The Government rejected a plan from the Defence Forces to bring her home from Syria two months ago through co-operation with foreign intelligence agencies.

The plan, which was drawn up by the Directorate of Military Intelligence, also known as J2, was presented to Minister of State for Defence Paul Kehoe in late April.

It would have involved her being removed from the camp and sent south to the Jordanian border and to safety. However, the Department of Foreign Affairs wants the gardaí instead to bring her home."

What did all that mean? They were going to bust her out using force? How would the Military intelligence concoct a plan without being been given the go ahead by a politician to start it?

So they do want to bring her home but through legal channels.
    I swear to God the mind boggles.

The only way Lisa will be got out of Al Hawl, will be with the permission and co-operation of the Kurd's and Syrian's. There will not be any uniformed "Grab" or " Rescue". And definitely not by using the Irish Army ( this is not any reflection or criticism of the army. They are a highly trained and much regarded force around the world) but this would create more problems than it would solve in that part of the world. Another military force in Syria??? I don't think so.The Government were right to knock that idea on the head,( I know that there are Irish Army units based on the Golan Heights, but that's a different situation) They will use a humanitarian organisation already working in that region, or possibly the UN. And Lisa will be brought home Legally and with everything above board.

Well she wasnt in Syria for the legendary Bacon Sandwiches and she is trained combatant from a first world army. Alarm bells are ringing. It would be very foolish to release her. Not because of the damage she may do but for the message it would send to Jihad Seans.

Again though that is your opinion and I don't disagree with all of it.

But you stated as a fact she would be convicted by the Kurds.

I simply asked you to back up the fact.

• Advertisement

just asking straightforward questions that you and skooter seem unable to answer.

She's a trained killer who joined a terrorist organisation.

Explain how you think she is not a Terrorist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement