Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »
    She's a trained killer who joined a terrorist organisation.

Explain how you think she is not a Terrorist

terrorist according to who? not according to the irish government. According to the kurds she possibly is but the kurds have no interest in trials. the end result of all that will be no conviction and no prison.

ETA. she is a trained killer according to you and a useless soldier according to your mate skooter. you two really need to decide which she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

terrorist according to who? not according to the irish government. .

So this is the grand explanation the guberment didn't say she was (well holy God ) .......

So a trained killer joined isis and there a tourist ??

So what Isis isn't a terrorist organisation because our government didn't say so ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

terrorist according to who? not according to the irish government. According to the kurds she possibly is but the kurds have no interest in trials. the end result of all that will be no conviction and no prison.

ETA. she is a trained killer according to you and a useless soldier according to your mate skooter. you two really need to decide which she is.

I said she wasnt NCO material. It doesnt take a genius, to learn how to load, field stip and clean, and fire any weapon. (Apologies to the guard who shot himself in the foot the other day). neither does it a genius to order the Infantryman handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If one country have some laws to get at terrorists it's Ireland
    "member of organisation styling itself IRA ISIS" should suffice but I'm sure there are others.

Since European troops fought in Syria she have essentially joined the enemy, a capital office in many countries.

biko wrote: »
    Since European troops fought in Syria she have essentially joined the enemy, a capital office in many countries.

Oh more the shame we cannot try her under military law. Give her to the Virginia Farm boys. I am sure being married to an ISIS MVP she must have some information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She will be convicted of being a member of ISIS by the Kurds. She is a person of interest to them as a potential mercenary/member of an international Brigade. The Geneva convention doesnt cover mercenaries/members of an International Brigade, so they are free to do with her as they please. Once again that matter is in the hands of the Kurds.

The Kurds have held trials and executed high profile members of ISIS and also ISIS member who are originally from the reign they have control over.

You know by now the Kurds don't have the resources or desire to convict and punish women and children in these camps. They want them gone from the reign they have no place being there. They need to be taken care of and not in an Al Pacino sort of way. The last thing the Kurds want is the international community to see them as barbarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

One possible solution to the problem, Google here under link. If Lisa's name come's up in any of these documents.......there may be a case for her to answer, if not in Ireland, but under international Law.

UNITAD HEAD SAYS 'SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS' MADE IN ISIS INVESTIGATION IN 2019

If one country have some laws to get at terrorists it's Ireland
    "member of organisation styling itself IRA ISIS" should suffice but I'm sure there are others.

ISIS is not a proscribed organisation in this country.

we have defence pacts with some european countries. but only defence pacts. if a european country goes to syria to fight isis that does not make them our allies in that endeavour. so she has not joined "the enemy" in any sense.

I said she wasnt NCO material. It doesnt take a genius, to learn how to load, field stip and clean, and fire any weapon. (Apologies to the guard who shot himself in the foot the other day). neither does it a genius to order the Infantryman handbook.

you said a lot more than. none of if you could substantiate mind.

tuxy wrote: »
    The Kurds have held trials and executed high profile members of ISIS and also ISIS member who are originally from the reign they have control over.

You know by now the Kurds don't have the resources or desire to convict and punish women and children in these camps. They want them gone from the reign they have no place being there. They need to be taken care of and not in an Al Pacino sort of way. The last thing the Kurds want is the international community to see them as barbarians.

Its not Europe and you suppose you are dealing with reasonable people. Those kids will be back in 10 years as fighters again. There were no reasonable accommodations from ISIS when the kurds were getting it right left and center.

• Advertisement

So this is the grand explanation the guberment didn't say she was (well holy God ) .......

any chance you could try some intelligent posts instead of this nonsense?
    So a trained killer joined isis and there a tourist ??

So what Isis isn't a terrorist organisation because our government didn't say so ???

it isn't a terrorist organisation in the eyes of irish law. that is what that means.

you said a lot more than. none of if you could substantiate mind.

I didnt substantiate it you are right, her superiors didnt renew her contract or offer her a Pots course. It explains itself

Oh more the shame we cannot try her under military law. Give her to the Virginia Farm boys. I am sure being married to an ISIS MVP she must have some information.

more fantasy. you really need to put down the chris ryan novels.

Its not Europe and you suppose you are dealing with reasonable people. Those kids will be back in 10 years as fighters again. There were no reasonable accommodations from ISIS when the kurds were getting it right left and center.

I fail to see what that has to do with the SDF saying there will be no trials and no mass murder of the foreign nationals they have captured.

I didnt substantiate it you are right, her superiors didnt renew her contract or offer her a Pots course. It explains itself

you have no idea if they offered her a pots course. and there is nothing to suggest she wanted to renew her army contract. in fact she was accepted by the air corps so not the useless lump you tried to portray her as.

tuxy wrote: »
    I fail to see what that has to do with the SDF saying there will be no trials and no mass murder of the foreign nationals they have captured.

By failing to put this down hard and fast it is leaving the wound to fester in later years. There has to be a clear winner in this.

By failing to put this down hard and fast it is leaving the wound to fester in later years. There has to be a clear winner in this.

But the SDF are doing all they can despite some countries trying to hinder their progress by not taking responsibility for their own citizens.

you have no idea if they offered her a pots course. and there is nothing to suggest she wanted to renew her army contract. in fact she was accepted by the air corps so not the useless lump you tried to portray her as.

If you were offered a pots course you would take it because you worked hard to get it.
    She couldnt have progressed after two contracts and not be promoted.
    She was just a driver and a handy number on MATS not an avionic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, the world have look upon the atrocities of ISIS for years and years.

Still many countries like Sweden and Ireland have made zero preparations to handle the aftermath, when the losing fighters come back to regroup.
    This is itself is almost as bad a crime as the beheaders themselves.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0112/1022775-paul-reynolds-the-irish-who-are-fighting-for-isis/

Leo and his cronies shouldn't be ashamed - they should be made to resign and apologise for their incompetence in time of need.

If you were offered a pots course you would take it because you worked hard to get it.
    She couldnt have progressed after two contracts and not be promoted.
    She was just a driver and a handy number on MATS not an avionic.

just stop making stuff up. you have no idea what she did in her 10 years.

• Advertisement

just stop making stuff up. you have no idea what she did in her 10 years.

Well what ever it was it wasnt enough to get off the blocks of A/wn, the proof is in the pudding. I did however ask ahn acquaintance over the weekend and the reply was "no comment" but he didnt say I was wrong.

Scooterblue2....a question for you.. ( that's poetry :) ) you were making the point earlier about how Lisa got transferred to the Air Corp's , and about how the Army promotions etc. work. You seemed to suggest that she was able to "jump the gun". That was my interpretation of it anyway, so please excuse me if I got it wrong. I do know that in Irish society in general, it's often the case where promotions or job's are concerned, it's a case of "not what you know, but who you know". This is so true in this Country, in all walks of life. But back to my question anyway, as you have military experience. Something triggered Lisa to go and join a terrorist organisation, could it have been she was rejected for a promotion, or an extension in the Air Corp?

Plus for the non-military amongst us, can you explain what are "POTS" and "MATS" and A/wn? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I did however ask ahn acquaintance over the weekend and the reply was "no comment" but he didnt say I was wrong.

So he ignored you? :P

jmreire wrote: »
    Scooterblue2....a question for you.. ( that's poetry :) ) you were making the point earlier about how Lisa got transferred to the Air Corp's , and about how the Army promotions etc. work. You seemed to suggest that she was able to "jump the gun". That was my interpretation of it anyway, so please excuse me if I got it wrong. I do know that in Irish society in general, it's often the case where promotions or job's are concerned, it's a case of "not what you know, but who you know". This is so true in this Country, in all walks of life. But back to my question anyway, as you have military experience. Something triggered Lisa to go and join a terrorist organisation, could it have been she was rejected for a promotion, or an extension in the Air Corp?

according to them she only got into the air corp because of 'diversity'.

Boggles wrote: »
    So he ignored you? :P

yup cos normally he would be up for a debate. We talked about other things but he said it was off limits conversation. When I was in a similar position about 10 years back, I was asked a similar situation and he wanted information from me about something sensitive and I had inside information on. I was just looking after my own lot first.

Yes, if that was the case, and then she did not measure up for the next step, and was by-passed, or not offered extension of contract, would that have driven her into the arms of isis? Because, when all of this has settled down ( or even by now) her entire Life will be dissected and analysed to see what drove an average Irish woman to join a murderous organisation

When cadets/soldiers/ratings/airmen pass out and start their careers, life is exciting with postings, new courses and overseas missions. Sometimes you are lucky (correct timing + Ability) sometimes not. The defence forces is supposed to toughen you up to meet those challenges and adversity head on be it mental or physical or educational. If you havent had a few knock backs in the Defence Forces then you weren't really there were you? Your plans for your career and the defence forces plans often dont coincide. You wont get that course or someones brother gets that promotion or the Army stops running a certain course. Seen it all happen before. Life aint fair.

I am with Willy Wonka on this one, she turned out to be a bad egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

it isn't a terrorist organisation in the eyes of irish law. that is what that means.

So she is a tourist

Yes, if that was the case, and then she did not measure up for the next step, and was by-passed, or not offered extension of contract, would that have driven her into the arms of isis? Because, when all of this has settled down ( or even by now) her entire Life will be dissected and analysed to see what drove an average Irish woman to join a murderous organisation

No you misunderstood. that was a claim by skooter that he did not substantiate. I wouldn't put too much credence on it.

• Advertisement

Scooterblue2....a question for you..
    Plus for the non-military amongst us, can you explain what are "POTS" and "MATS" and A/wn? Thanks

Pots -= Potential NCOs Course. It is a prescribed course you nominated for by training staff before you are promoted to Corporal. you would have command over a section (9 soldiers)

MATS - Ministerial Air Transport. Its the wing of the Air Corps that ferries Ministers and their wives around. can also be used as an air ambulance.

A/m or A/wm is short of Airman / Airwoman equivalent to Private in the army.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement