Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips TV not turning on.

• 14-02-2019 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

Am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this query.....have a Philips TV that is not working this evening.
    I turned it onto standby as usual using the Sky remote last night before going to bed.When the OH went to put the TV on this evening there wasn’t a gig out of it.No red idle light on front bottom panel of TV even though it’s plugged in properly....no response when trying to turn on TV using the Sky remote.

Could it be something gone in the TV plug at wall?....one of those fused ones you can’t open....or could something be gone in the TV?....it’s around 8 years of age.

Thanks for any ideas or opinions .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Plug something like a light into the wall socket. That will eliminate the socket as your problem

Those plugs often give access to fuse by prying out a fuse holder with a small screwdriver.
    If you can't get at the fuse cut the plug off and fit a new one. That will eliminate the fuse as your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I already tried it in a different socket,will try to look at plug over weekend,would TV just give up like that?......is around 8-10 years the shelf life of a decent TV now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Chances are if the fuse in the plug is blown, the set is toast anyway.

Am just after changing the fuse in the plug ( by taking out old one as a poster said you could)....no sign of life with TV,even with that....
    Any point in getting a TV repair person to look at it or is it off to buy a new TV time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Am just after changing the fuse in the plug ( by taking out old one as a poster said you could)....no sign of life with TV,even with that....
    Any point in getting a TV repair person to look at it or is it off to buy a new TV time?

simple as it sounds ....... is it possible the lead at the back of the tv is a little loose?

• Advertisement

simple as it sounds ....... is it possible the lead at the back of the tv is a little loose?

Am away from the house at mo.....which lead do you refer to?....am I right in saying that power lead from TV to plug in wall is a fixed lead going straight into TV so can’t ‘loosen’ iykwim.

I checked Sky leads etc and all properly in as far as I can make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Am away from the house at mo.....which lead do you refer to?....am I right in saying that power lead from TV to plug in wall is a fixed lead going straight into TV so can’t ‘loosen’ iykwim.

I checked Sky leads etc and all properly in as far as I can make out.

As mentioned above, the power lead to the tv might be using a socket on the TV in which case it is possible for it to become loose and lose connection.

Feel like a bit of a lemon:).....went through all leads,scart lead etc again last night to check they were all in properly .....they were.....
    Got my iPhone out and turned on the light on it,checked along the very bottom of the TV at the back.....there was a very small on/off switch.....turned it back on and all working 👍.....
    One of the kids must have hit it.

Thanks to all posters for advice.

Advertisement