Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to buy LTV

Options
  • 15-02-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Currently planning on purchasing a house as a first time buyer. I wanted to get a 50% mortgage and pay for the rest with savings I have.

However I’ve just realised that I need a LTV of greater than 70% to be eligible for the help to buy scheme.

So my question is: can I get a 70% mortgage and let’s say in 6 months time pay a lump sum into the mortgage and bring the LTV down to 50%? I realise I’ll need to be on a variable interest rate.

And to follow on, is it worth availing of the help to buy scheme or am I better suited to just have a LTV of 50% and take the lower interest rate?

Sorry but I’m learning as I go along here;)

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DodgeS

Hey I'm thinking of the exact same thing as you now. Can you tell me how you got on?

I was considering a split mortgage, 20% variable and 50% fixed then pay the variable off straight away.

Advertisement