Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Account drained

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

coylemj wrote: »
    And well you might, but I'd have serious concerns that someone with no mandate from you presented them with a DD and they paid it.
    Again, financial institutions have no access to mandates. Creditors do not send mandates to them. The Creditor literally supplies an IBAN and an amount, and says "we have authorisation to take this money".

If I have your IBAN, I can use it to (for example) pay my electric bill and there's nothing your bank/credit union can put in place to stop it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

28064212 wrote: »
    Again, financial institutions have no access to mandates. Creditors do not send mandates to them. The Creditor literally supplies an IBAN and an amount, and says "we have authorisation to take this money".

That makes sense if you're talking about a company like the ESB or Vodafone but I can't for the life of me understand how an Irish credit union would accept a DD out of the blue from Luxembourg.

And there was zero verification involved, other than that they supplied a valid account number. The OP's credit union is basically telling him that anyone who knows his account number can submit a DD and they will pay it.

That makes sense if you're talking about a company like the ESB or Vodafone but I can't for the life of me understand how an Irish credit union would accept a DD out of the blue from Luxembourg.
    What if that company is a multinational like Amazon or Paypal? Luxembourg is a popular financial capital. And even if it was the ESB or Vodafone, what difference would that have made to the OP? Someone could still have accessed money armed with just their IBAN.
    And there was zero verification involved, other than that they supplied a valid account number. The OP's credit union is basically telling him that anyone who knows his account numer can send in a DD and they will pay it.
    Not "anyone". Anyone that is an authorised creditor. Becoming a direct debit originator is not easy

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

To update, the CU have recalled the payments, and are in contact with PayPal and the bank in question..they agreed it looked fraudulent..

Reasonably pleased with the outcome..

What is PayPal's involvement?

Call me Al wrote: »
    What is PayPal's involvement?

The reference number given made it look like it might be a PayPal account the money was going into,..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If I have your IBAN, I can use it to (for example) pay my electric bill and there's nothing your bank/credit union can put in place to stop it

They can out in place a system where all DDs need to be approved to allow payment. That's what I have on the accounts I pay them from.

McGaggs wrote: »
    They can out in place a system where all DDs need to be approved to allow payment. That's what I have on the accounts I pay them from.
    Which has to be specifically requested to be set up by the customer. By default, all accounts which allow direct debits allow all requests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Which has to be specifically requested to be set up by the customer. By default, all accounts which allow direct debits allow all requests

No, it's the default with this bank that all DD payments must be approved by the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

They should still have the mandate reference through which the payment was authorised.

MOH wrote: »
    They should still have the mandate reference through which the payment was authorised.
    Which is supplied and created by the creditor, and has no meaning to the bank. It's not something they can look at and say "this might be fraudulent"

• Advertisement

Which is supplied and created by the creditor, and has no meaning to the bank. It's not something they can look at and say "this might be fraudulent"

No, but it's the start of a paper trail. In my case, the provider had gone back to my bank months after I'd cancelled my mandate with both them and the bank, and started taking payments under a new mandate. The bank were able to provide me with the mandate reference which proved this. I wasn't in any way blaming the bank for accepting the mandate on faith, it's the massive flaw in the way the old DD+ scheme worked, some companies have been abusing the system for years. Not sure how much it's changed under SEPA.

But if they'd turned around and said "we can't tell you anything about why this payment left your account", like the CU did in this case, I wouldn't have been happy. And if they couldn't produce a mandate reference at all, there'd clearly be a problem there.

No, but it's the start of a paper trail. In my case, the provider had gone back to my bank months after I'd cancelled my mandate with both them and the bank, and started taking payments under a new mandate. The bank were able to provide me with the mandate reference which proved this. I wasn't in any way blaming the bank for accepting the mandate on faith, it's the massive flaw in the way the old DD+ scheme worked, some companies have been abusing the system for years. Not sure how much it's changed under SEPA.
    But I was responding to someone who thought it was impossible for funds to be taken with just an IBAN. Tracing it isn't a problem, I was addressing the point that there's nothing the CU could have done to prevent it in the first place (without a instruction from the account owner in the first place).
    But if they'd turned around and said "we can't tell you anything about why this payment left your account", like the CU did in this case, I wouldn't have been happy. And if they couldn't produce a mandate reference at all, there'd clearly be a problem there.
    That's not what the CU did in this case though

But I was responding to someone who thought it was impossible for funds to be taken with just an IBAN. Tracing it isn't a problem, I was addressing the point that there's nothing the CU could have done to prevent it in the first place (without a instruction from the account owner in the first place).

That's not what the CU did in this case though

I give up, if you think the CU's initial response was acceptable, I'm done arguing

Advertisement