Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a forged €50 note

• 15-02-2019 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I withdrew money from our credit union the other day and deposited it into bank using the ATM (BOI). 1 note was flagged as possible forgery, and had to speak to staff the following day. They confirmed it was a forgery and they need to send it to their fraud department. They filled out a form and gave us a copy to confirm that they had received a fraud, we brought it to credit union to try and get our money back (the €50) and they said they can't do anything until Bank of Ireland receive a letter from the central bank confirming it's a fraud and then send that letter to us so we can bring into the credit union.

Has anyone had any sort of experience on this? How long is it likely to take re. letter. Are credit union giving us the runaround?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Have had this before but it was money from the PO that that was a dud.

It was touch and go and it was only a bit of persistence that got my money back. I was told by the PO manger that they could claim the money back by saying they had detected it in the money they got from the bank :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I didn't think that the bank could give it back to you. They used to destroy them. Giving it back to the customer encourages the victim to put it back into circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I didn't think that the bank could give it back to you. They used to destroy them. Giving it back to the customer encourages the victim to put it back into circulation.

They don't give them back, but they have to give you a receipt to say they have the fake note. Normally that process also involves getting a photo copy of the note as further proof that it did exist.

When this happened to me with BoI I had to make a big fuss just to get a receipt and a photocopy. The staff knew all about not giving the forgery back to me but nothing about any further procedure. It took a while for me to get them to look up their own procedures and then act on them.

The bank is giving the OP the runaround as I don't see any reason why they can't say its a forgery. ffs they are a bl00dy bank they should know! In my case it was a BoI staff member that told me the note was a forgery. If I'd looked at it rather than handing over a bunch of notes I'd got from the PO then I'd have easily spotted it and gone back to the PO with it.

I've worked with money counting machinery and the forgery must have been good to get through the system. Can't see why it wasn't chucked back to the customer like damaged or defaced notes normally are.

So thinking about it if it got through the machine then it might need a second opinion about its authenticity - I've seen lots of fakes and not one that a machine couldn't spot? I like to know at what stage in the process it was spotted and how it was then traced back to being lodged by the OP.

Advertisement