Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult situation with PTSB, advice needed

• 15-02-2019 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I would be grateful for advice on the following as not having much joy with ptsb.

I am looking after a relatives affairs who suffered a severe injury confining them for life to a care home, basically their injury restricts them from leaving their care home at all. We have put in place for me having enduring power of attorney if relatives mental capacity diminishes however they are all there mentally the injury is basically paralysis.

Now relative is paying care home fees from a different bank directly to care home however this money has been diminishing and she wants to withdraw her savings from ptsb to top this account up as soon she will run out of funds. A letter was typed and signed by relative and sent to PTSB before Christmas asking them to issue cheque to relative in her name and explained the situation of not being able to leave care home.

PTSB wrote back saying no can do you have to call into branch. Relative then called the bank from their nursing home, I assisted with the call and we spoke on speaker we voiced our frustration at the situation and were advised to get letter from care home and send in to PTSB with request to transfer via bank transfer and submit bic iban of accounts etc.

Now I’ve got the letter from care home etc verifying position of relative but I am a little reluctant to send in letter by post with bics/ibans as it’s a fair amount to transfer and don’t trust the bank not to make an error as I’ve read on another thread here of a bank transfer of 2500 going into limbo, I think cheque would be a safer option? Also I should say that person we spoke to on phone could not guarantee that even if we send in the above the bank will facilitate and may still insist on relative calling into branch!

Any thoughts on this folks it’s a very frustrating situation

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Does your relative have online access to the PTSB a/c, & if so can you assist them in setting up the other bank a/c or the care home bank a/c as a payee to make online payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Calltocall wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I would be grateful for advice on the following as not having much joy with ptsb.

I am looking after a relatives affairs who suffered a severe injury confining them for life to a care home, basically their injury restricts them from leaving their care home at all. We have put in place for me having enduring power of attorney if relatives mental capacity diminishes however they are all there mentally the injury is basically paralysis.

Now relative is paying care home fees from a different bank directly to care home however this money has been diminishing and she wants to withdraw her savings from ptsb to top this account up as soon she will run out of funds. A letter was typed and signed by relative and sent to PTSB before Christmas asking them to issue cheque to relative in her name and explained the situation of not being able to leave care home.

PTSB wrote back saying no can do you have to call into branch. Relative then called the bank from their nursing home, I assisted with the call and we spoke on speaker we voiced our frustration at the situation and were advised to get letter from care home and send in to PTSB with request to transfer via bank transfer and submit bic iban of accounts etc.

Now I’ve got the letter from care home etc verifying position of relative but I am a little reluctant to send in letter by post with bics/ibans as it’s a fair amount to transfer and don’t trust the bank not to make an error as I’ve read on another thread here of a bank transfer of 2500 going into limbo, I think cheque would be a safer option? Also I should say that person we spoke to on phone could not guarantee that even if we send in the above the bank will facilitate and may still insist on relative calling into branch!

Any thoughts on this folks it’s a very frustrating situation

Thank you

Bank transfer is much better than a cheque. If you have any issues sending that info (BICs/IBAN) on the post send the letter registered. They will guarantee delivery. If you need more assurances regarding the letter use a courier with with experience delivering sensitive documents, but registered post is more than plenty. Just make sure the details in the letter are correct. A cheque can get lost in the post and might be very "difficult" to track down, the transfer is very easy just make sure the details are correct and keep a copy of the letter sent once it has been signed by relative and witnesses (if they are needed). If there is a problem you have paper trail and digital trail, it might take a while but you should get it back.

If you need more assurances than this just get a solicitor involved, and there is no way there will be an issue. But I very much doubt a solicitor will recommend a cheque for a big sum to be sent on the post. There are very good reasons why cheques are not used so much nowadays. Revenue is no longer accepting payments using cheques and they are avoiding making refunds using cheques sent on the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The chances of a bank transfer going astray are minimal. I know there’s a story here on Boards right now, but that only goes to show the exceptional nature of the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

I've heard stories before of someone from PTSB calling out to the bank customer when they were not able to access the branch - perhaps a call to the branch manager?

Advertisement