Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Expired today.. what to do now?

Options
  • 15-02-2019 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi!

My work contract (1 year) has expired today.. no sign of a new contract or any confirmation I'm finished.

Mon-Fri for the standard week but have been working Sats too because of how busy we are (Engineering Company).

Has anybody else been in this position? I've been asked to work tomorrow

Would you say it or just carry on until somebody says something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Ask them for your renewal contract. I go through this every 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Are you really expecting someone to give you advise to say nothing and carry on until someone says something???

....erm....I'm a little confused but why have you not discussed this in advance with your manager (or at least your recruitment agency if the contract was organised through them)? Surely, if you knew contract end date was imminent, you'd have discussed well in advance whether the contract was to be renewed so that you could start job hunting in advance if you knew it was ending or else put yourself at ease knowing it was to be renewed? Financial reasons and certainty alone would be the main reason to do this unless you are so well off that this is not a concern.

It is poor form that the company hasn't brought it up with you yet either but this is where you should have been proactive and spoken up too. Do it right now, immediately to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

ongarboy wrote: »
    Surely, if you knew contract end date was imminent, you'd have discussed well in advance whether the contract was to be renewed so that you could start job hunting in advance if you knew it was ending or else put yourself at ease knowing it was to be renewed?

I have been job hunting just to be safe!

I know there's another good few months left in the project so I guess I was a bit naive to assume it would arrive or somebody would ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You should definitely talk to them.

This isn't a big deal. Just mention it and ask what the plan is.

They probably forgot.

Advertisement