Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What year did you get your first mobile phone?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1999, Panasonic. If i am right it wa one of the first vibrating phones.

I had one of those too! Think it had a backlight that could be green or red, also some weird animation thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Blazer wrote: »
    Same, 1996.
    Only problem was I was the first of my friends to have one so apart from the parents and the nana there was no one else to ring :)

The 5110 wasnt releasef til 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Hello Moto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I reluctantly got a phone back in 1999. Never went the mini call. Did anyone get a life get a minicall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Defo 1997 remember jue to the bird that was by my side at the time. Motorola but can't recall the model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

flazio wrote:
    Ericsson GF768 on Eircell RTG in 1999. Still have the number. My dad had a blue one as his phone. When he upgraded to a Nokia 5110 he didn't like it so took my red one. Anyone ever make up their own network logos on e-merge.ie My dad also has his original number, sort of, his 087 number had 6 numbers before needing to add a 2 to the front of it. I remember his sim card used to be the size of a Telecom Eireann call card.

Are you sure? The gf768 was released in 97, the T10 came out in 99, same look with an updated screen and features. Maybe you bought old stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

1996 Motorola startac. Didn’t work indoors so if someone called, you had to make your way outside ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

Got the Philips Diga in I think 1998. Won it on a radio competition the day that Eircell launched Ready to Go. First prepaid offering by any carrier in Ireland. Bought a big leatherette protective case with a snap fastener - thought it was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

1996 and it was the Sony 'Mars Bar' phone.

Didn't even have a screen :D

Still the coolest phone I ever had.

$_86.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Got my first phone around 98-99. It was a piece of crap NEC phone. Got it via some tokens off a newspaper lol. Then replaced that with a Mitsubishi Trium for free from the bank when I got my first student account. Thought it was great. It was like the communicator from TOS :)

After that it was Nokia's all the way for a while.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

1998/99 was the real breakout point for the mobile phone. Ready to go and all that. Before then it was pretty primitive and chaotic. Digifone and its 086 thing helped too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tedpan wrote: »
    Are you sure? The gf768 was released in 97, the T10 came out in 99, same look with an updated screen and features. Maybe you bought old stock?

Yep. No doubt about it. They were still being sold in 1999. Perhaps it was because I'm outside Dublin we didn’t keep quite up to date. Plus my dad had his blue one a while before I got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Siemens C25 on Eircell in 1999. It was on contract even though I was still in school.

I think it was £50 and maybe £20 a month after that.

After that was an endless list of Nokia’s for 10 years until smart phones came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

2001/2002 Nokia 3210, thought I was the bees knees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

2001/2002 Nokia 3210, thought I was the bees knees

A red 8210 in March 01, lost it a few months later and could only afford to replace it with a 3210, was gutted.

Advertisement