Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook - Missing Send/Receive tab after resetting email account.

Options
  • 15-02-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Email accoount Eircom. WiFi is Virgin

I was unable to send email this morning via Outlook (no problem sending via my iPhone) so I have reset my email account settings.

I now have two problems.

1. In the Outlook Home tab, I no longer have Send/Receive over on the extreme right of the Home ribbon, as I used to have. How can I put it back there?

In File/Settings/Customise Ribbon, the Send/Receive is listed under Home, but it's just not visible on the ribbon.

2. I have sent a few test emails to my gmail address and they arrived in my iPhone. But, these test emails are not in Outlook's Sent folder along with all the emails I sent before I reset my account this morning. So, where might they be?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I've just noticed that Outlook has created a new set of folders for the reset account.

So, I have Me and Me 1.

Can I rationalize the Me 1 back to Me, so that all new email arrives into the old Inbox and any new Sent email is in the old Sent folder?

This is a nightmare.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

1. Make sure Send/Receive box is marked in Customize Ribbon window

2. Define "I have reset my email account settings" - what and where you reset? Where you see duplicated folders?

1. Make sure Send/Receive box is marked in Customize Ribbon window

2. Define "I have reset my email account settings" - what and where you reset? Where you see duplicated folders?

Thanks.

I sorted the problem later.

At the second time of asking, I noticed that there is an option in the new Profile dialogue to choose where Outlook stores its folders. You can browse to the C:Users folder and choose the existing Outlook file. Your new profile is then created using all existing folders.

I still don’t know how the problem arose, except that the first server which emails bounced from (a Dublin Museum) is still bouncing those emails, if I simply click Reply/Send. If I write a new email to the correspondent, it appears to send ok.

So, I don’t think it’s a Virgin or Eircom problem, but an Outlook one.

D.

If you get "bounce back", your outlook and your mail work OK. Problem most likely lying in incorrect/non existent recipient address, issues on recipient server - check where you send, "no reply" box might be.
    Bounce back messages usually informative enough and define reason.

If you get "bounce back", your outlook and your mail work OK. Problem most likely lying in incorrect/non existent recipient address, issues on recipient server - check where you send, "no reply" box might be.
    Bounce back messages usually informative enough and define reason.

Thanks.

In this case the email address was definitely correct. I had simply clicked Reply, so it couldn’t have been inputted incorrectly. Anyway, I’ve used those addresses dozens of times.

The bounced back message said that my message contained spam - also not true.

Odd.

D.

• Advertisement

Now here is info!

So, if you reply to message - it bounces back, and if you compile message and send to same recipient address it goes out OK.
    This sound to me that original message/subject send to you is considered as spam and filtered by your outgoing server. Bounce back should say what server/service denied delivery.

As test , reply to message, but don't include original text/subject and see if it goes out.

Outlook doesn't allow to "not include" per address - its all or nothing. Either delete content manually or File>>Options>>Mail>>Replies and forwards

The problem has started again this morning...

1. I tried sending an email from Outlook to my gmail address.

2. It immediately bounces with the same "contains spam" message.

The text body of the email contained nothing except my default sign-off which has been there for years.

So, in Outlook I go to File/Options/Mail/Signatures and turn off Signatures for both New and Replies.

I now start a new email, which has not sign-off signature. I type some text in the body of the email and click Send.

It immediately arrives in my gmail address on my phone.

So, the problem seems to be an Outlook one related to the Signature.

But, why has this problem developed in Outlook (I presume that Outlook is the problem and not something on the Eircom end) after working perfectly for so long?

Thanks.

D.

Tons on the web about email signatures being read as spam and rendering email undeliverable.

My email signature is a solid black line under which there is my full trading name, website link in HTML and mobile number.

Line, trading name and mobile number are Calibri Light/Black, website is the standard HTML blue.

Mystified!

D.

its not Outlook issue, its content that is filtered as outgoing spam. Either your signature changed recently or outgoing spam filters updated and don't like your signature anymore
    Inspect hyperlink

its not Outlook issue, its content that is filtered as outgoing spam. Either your signature changed recently or outgoing spam filters updated and don't like your signature anymore
    Inspect hyperlink

Thanks.

I deleted the old Signature and created a new one. Same problem.

I'm not even sure I have an outgoing spam filter, to be honest! I have McAfee installed.

Does Outlook have one inbuilt that might have changed?

Thanks again.

D.

• Advertisement

Outgoing spam filter would be on your outgoing mail server - your message went there, was filtered and server send you bounce back- bounce message should state what it is.

Also worth scanning you PC for malware and malicious add-ins in Outlook
    To see if add-in potentially effecting your outlook - load outlook in safe mode, this disables all of them - send test message.

Outgoing mail server is: smtp.upcmail.ie

And this is the typical undelivered message I've receiving:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test 1001
    Sent: 19/02/2019 11:57

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'XXXXX.XXXXXXX@gmail.com' on 19/02/2019 11:57
    554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=w40MgMwNC5WeQw40MgR89H;sid=w40MgMwNC5WeQ;mta=vie01a-pemc-psmtp-pe11;d=20190219;t=125606[CET];ipsrc=37.228.239.103;

Thanks.

D.

Ps. Safe Mode/Test Message was undeliverable too. (with Signature)

D.

Looks like VM is killing it, see VM Forums
    Rise Q with ISP
    Remove hyperlink from your signature until it is resolved.

Try this...
    At least one report I've read suggested that a sentence or paragraph which started with a web-address (URL) was rejected, but inserting some leading text allowed it to go through.
    Dot in white font color perhaps

You're correct.

Signature works perfectly if I remove HTML link, leaving just my trading name and telephone number.

So, this points the finger at Virgin, correct?

Many thanks!

D.

According VM forums you not alone with this issue.
    However, without knowing link you use i cannot exclude that - it might be reported by someone ever as spam and got "blacklisted".
    Further more, IP address, where web server hosted could be "blacklisted" too, so multiple variables....

Outlook Signature with HTML website link worked perfectly for years up to last week.

The only thing I had ever changed was the font and colour of my trading name. But, even a reversion to big-standard black today didn’t help.

It only works with web address removed.

Will try a fresh copy and paste of my web address later, when I’m back in the office.

Have posted on Virgin forum also.

Many thanks.

D.

According VM forums you not alone with this issue.
    However, without knowing link you use i cannot exclude that - it might be reported by someone ever as spam and got "blacklisted".
    Further more, IP address, where web server hosted could be "blacklisted" too, so multiple variables....

Ps.

Where on VM forums have you seen mention of a similar problem?

They’re denying one exits with me.

Would be useful to know.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Link in #16, however, its not on boards

What i am trying to tell you, you can't blame Virgin directly(not yet anyway), but you can ask them to help to resolve issue.

I see your thread in Virgin forums here on boards and suggestions by Brien.
    Back in time there was another BrienF dealt with similar issue https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057490700
    in this one, Brien(current) and even yourself had your voice https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057096786/1
    there was many more similar i believe - reasons/resolutions could be different.

VM SMTP server seems function OK - you able to send plain text mail

You ready know that hyperlink is preventing you to send mail - link recognized as spam.

Hint i gave you - server (hosting your website) IP could be blacklisted - for privacy you might not like to share it here, but check it, there are online tools.

Thanks.

Just now, I created an Outlook signature that was www.MYTRADINGNAME.ie typed - i.e. not copied and pasted from website address bar into Outlook. So, it wasn't hyperlinked in the Signature - only typed.

That didn't work either - same spam bounce.

As as experiment, I removed the 'e' from .ie. It worked fine.

I've now reduced it to MYTRADINGNAME.ie (i.e. without the WWW.) and it's also fine.

For the record, my website host is Register365.

Many thanks.

D.

As long it works and satisfactorily reflects "your face" - perfect!

As long it works and satisfactorily reflects "your face" - perfect!

I guess so.

I do like the blue hyperlinked web address though.

Also, if I reply to an email (with the new Outlook signature) that is part of a conversation that extends to before the problem started (i.e. that the series of emails contains one with my website address) that bounces too. I have to extract my web address from the other emails, or start a new one.

Annoying whatever has gone wrong with it and a tad underwhelmed by Virgin's lack of suggestions.

Thanks.

D.

Hi Smuggler,

I wrote to Register365 asking if they might be part of my problem. Below is the (very considered) reply I received. I don't really feel the need to spend any extra money - though reducing my Google hit rate would be annoying. In any case, they appear to be pointing the finger at Virgin. Some of the response is Dutch to me - a bit technical.

"I'm afraid we aren't responsible for the spam protection policies for Virgin Media however I can determine that the link you're sending isn't encrypted and so this MAY be part of their spam detection policy.

I've ran a test using my own domain to my own Virgin media account using an exchange mailbox and this bounced back to me. This shows me their spam policies are daft and overzealous as my domain and mailbox has an upstanding reputation digitally.

We have tens of thousands of emails coming in and out from our servers to virgin media addresses daily and so we know we don't have an issue on our end.

I would strongly suggest getting an SSL secured site and including the link in your digital signature as https://yourdomain.com as this'll set it as a hyperlink and perhaps bypass virgin media's outrageous spam policies.

You aren't the only person to have reported this. I believe a recent change in their attempts to curb spam into their servers has caused genuine people such as you to be erroneously listed as sending spam.

I have linked below to our SSL prices. I strongly recommend getting one to keep your site in googles good graces & to ensure you're complying with GDPR as if your site has backend access you require one."

D.

Here you go, with this info you can go back to Virgin and ask them to review what can be done to "whitelist" your domain, however, they might stand their position if your web server has no digi cert.

I know, its costly, but this is for your business well-being and good face - people like to see green "lock" in their browsers. This also insures your website cant be "faked" so your customers will know they connecting to your site, not some bogus place.

Your call anyway.

Ps.

Just tried sending an email with the new Signature, but with one Word and one .pdf attachment.

It bounced immediately.

This is turning into a nightmare.

D.

As your web host was explaining, Virgin mail spam filter might have policies to block digitally unsigned links - this is harsh and i don't even know how much this is legal or not, but this reduces mail users being phished for credentials, etc.

Sorry for this comparison, but look at your message like stranger - some text, word and pdf attachment, link to site that has no digital signature - 100% junk mail/phishing scam

Imagine you receive mail from "your bank" that states you need to do some action on your bank account and there is link provided - looks innocent enough to some people and link to YOURBANK.LALA resembles your bank name and interface looks same as yesterday. Without back thoughts you click on it and enter your credentials at prompt - boom, your account is emptied. What you should check before credentials - is there green "lock" - digital certificate , ensuring that you connecting to your bank website and not some cyber thief's server.

Anyway, go back to Virgin and ask for review/explanation/resolution

• Advertisement

Just spent half an hour on the phone to Virgin.

No joy. Went through everything. They ended up by saying that I should speak to Eircom about "capacity".

I've been sending attachments by email for years - all invoices and statements, for example, are Word document attachments.

I've had no problem up until this last week.

Is there another desktop email client (preferably free) that I could set up email on to see if Outlook is the problem?

Register365 seem to think it's Virgin. Virgin patently do not.

If something (the Virgin server?) is suddenly viewing my email as spam, what can I do about it? On the phone, Virgin had me checking things on Spamhaus.org. All clear there.

I presume I can't use Eircom as my outgoing, being a Virgin customer? (All email via my iPhone is working perfectly.)

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement