Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook - Missing Send/Receive tab after resetting email account.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dinarius wrote: »
    I presume I can't use Eircom as my outgoing, being a Virgin customer? (All email via my iPhone is working perfectly.)

You cannot, but you can use Google.

And you should, VM have cocked up their SMTP server before and left SMEs twiddling their thumbs. No reason not to send via Googz with five nines uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Re "Eircom "capacity" - they are talking about mail provider applying limit how many messages you can send per day/month. i don't know quotes there - check with Eir, but to me makes no sense - mail without signature are going out and they count same as with signature from Eir prospective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

ED E wrote: »
    You cannot, but you can use Google.

And you should, VM have cocked up their SMTP server before and left SMEs twiddling their thumbs. No reason not to send via Googz with five nines uptime.

Just to be clear........

Are you saying that I can use Google as my outgoing and retain Eircom as my incoming and (most importantly) keep my email address?

If so, what do I do?

Thanks!

D.

Re "Eircom "capacity" - they are talking about mail provider applying limit how many messages you can send per day/month. i don't know quotes there - check with Eir, but to me makes no sense - mail without signature are going out and they count same as with signature from Eir prospective

On a busy day, I send 5 emails.

Seriously.

But, being able to send attachments is vital.

Right now I can't even add a Dropbox link to the body of a text. (I'm a photographer.)

Virgin have been poor in all of this.

Thanks again.

D.

This where ED E's suggestion grows into even bigger value.
    Your reason to keep eir's mailbox? People know you by this address so on so so...
    Well, keep it but set forwarding to your new Gmail or outlook/hotmail account.
    Any message send to your eir box will be automagicaly delivered to your new account(providing there no faults on eir side). You can reply from new account that way allowing customers to know your new address.
    It will take time , but eventually you will fade away from eir.
    And no hassle with outgoing messages (unless there is some seriously wrong with your signature ) :D

You can export data file from outlook now and import ALL messages you ever had in eir box to be available on new one

• Advertisement

Smuggler,

Thanks.

That's a tad beyond me.

And there's always the slim chance that Virgin Media will solve the problem.

Though, given the lack of activity on my Virgin Media Ireland thread, I don't think there are too many in a similar predicament to me. So, it half makes me wonder that I'm the problem, somehow.

I presume that switching BB provider would allow me to use a more reliable outgoing server also?

I'm a sole trader. Been using this email address for over 20 years. Messing with it in any way could be costly.

Thanks.

D.

Forwarding rule is just as you would do "forward" from your outlook, just happens without your intervention.

I believe someone will confirm there is option to keep original message in Eir.

Thanks.

I've just spent the last hour with a very helpful guy in Virgin Support.

I setup a Virgin email account in Outlook.

It ran like a train. I could attach as much as I like to the emails.

So, the problem might not be with Virgin, but with Eircom.

My BB, Outlook and Virgin email combination works perfectly.

Will contact Eircom again tomorrow.

D.

I had forgotten that I was entitled to download Office 365 2016.

So, I uninstalled 2010 and installed 2016 - much nicer!

Anyway, attachments are working again - hyperlinked Signature isn't, but I don't care about that.

Here's the weird thing...

All my problems have been on this Windows 64 laptop.

I also have Office on a Macbook.

The Outgoing setting for Outlook on the this Windows laptop is smtp.upcmail.ie

The Outgoing and Incoming on the Mac are both Eircom. I've no idea why, but it seems to work.

On the Mac they're webmail.eircom.net (Port 993) and mail1.eircom.net (Port 587)

The only difference between the two setups is that the Mac is using WiFi, the Windows machine is connected directly to the modem.

Go figure.

D.

• Advertisement

Are you able to send mail from Mac with these settings while Mac connected to your Virgin Wi-Fi?
    With or without link in the signature.

Are you able to send mail from Mac with these settings while Mac connected to your Virgin Wi-Fi?
    With or without link in the signature.

Having checked email on the Windows machine just now - all downloaded fine - I booted up the Mac.

All downloaded fine on that too. But, then, that was using Eircom as incoming which I've never had a problem with.

I rechecked the settings and they are Eircom both ways. But, I can't send an email. So, if I want to use that machine for email, which I almost never will, I'll have to change them to VM for outgoing.

The one good thing to come out of hours of messing is I now have Office 2016 on this machine. I would never have bothered otherwise. But, 2016 is much slicker than 2010 - especially Word.

The hyperlink thing is still a mystery and a bit annoying, but I can live with it.

Thanks again.

D.

But, I can't send an email. So, if I want to use that machine for email, which I almost never will, I'll have to change them to VM for outgoing.
    Hence my surprise and question...
    ...after your statement.
    The Outgoing and Incoming on the Mac are both Eircom. I've no idea why, but it seems to work.

More problems!

Yesterday, Outlook wouldn't work on the new computer. It wouldn't accept the settings - same as the other computer. So, I gave up. I don't really need it working there anyway.

But, just now, the main email computer won't send email - receiving is no problem.

I go into Settings and see that Outgoing has changed to the eircom.net setting. Very odd. Something to do with me trying to setup the other computer with Outlook?

Anyway, I change Outgoing to smtp.upcmail.ie and it runs the test and tells me it's repaired.

I close the dialog and click Send/Receive, but the email remains in Drafts.

I open the Settings dialog again and Outgoing has changed back to eircom.net.

WTF?

Thanks.

D.

You adding more and more variables each time and i am getting confused whats and where.

For all that matters work on one computer.
    It doesn't matter if you have added same mail account to multiple PC's. Depend on what setting you apply one might not work, however, it will not prevent other, with correct setting to work.

DO THIS NO.1 before you do anything else - better be on safe side.
    To prevent possible data(your historical mail) loss, ensure you have backup(export PST from outlook) .

If you have 2016 installed, did you uninstalled 2010?

Proceed one step at the time. Test after each.
    Be aware that outgoing with signature might not work due to potential outgoing server spam policy - test plain text for now.

You might try repair Outlook.
    You might try to create new profile in outlook and load eir mail box per new. Do not touch original profile for now.

Smuggler,

Thanks.

All .pst files are on the computer and safe.

A friend said that my emails to him had been going straight to spam, until I removed my URL from the signature.

As an experiment, I tried sending him an email from my iPhone (so, no Outlook and no Virgin involved - all Eircom) with my full URL in the body of the text.

The email wouldn’t send at all.

I tried various emails with various other URLs, e.g. www.google.ie, www.amazon.com etc. They sent no problem.

The emails were sent using 3G, not Virgin WiFi.

It’s starting to look like an Eircom problem.

I’ve just been on to them. I explained that I could include any URL in an email except my own. Their reply was, remove the www from yours. They wouldn’t tell me why my URL was a problem!

Thanks.

D.

I’ve just been on to them. I explained that I could include any URL in an email except my own. Their reply was, remove the www from yours. They wouldn’t tell me why my URL was a problem!
    Did that helped?

Did that helped?

Yes.

Just like with Outlook, if I change the URL in any way, I can send the email.

But, it still doesn’t explain why my URL, and ONLY my URL, is preventing emails from sending via Eircom, but not if it’s included in emails with any other email address.

Very strange.

D.

Just sent an email, with my URL in the body of the text, from a college email address to my gmail address. Absolutely no problem.

Then I discovered lots of emails which I had sent from my gmail address (which contains the URL) to my Eircom address, in the Eircom spam folder.

This is definitely an Eircom issue.

Why is my URL not getting through their spam filter, when every other URL is?

Could it be something I’ve changed in Eircom mail settings?

D.

Advertisement