Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Tell me WHOY) I don't like Funny Froidays: Liveline 15/2/19 and dat

Comments

A man :eek:

1970: "Yer wife is ok but your baby is dead"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

is this the first male caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Tommy gave birth to triplets and it was awful hard.

A Man!!!

1981.?

• Advertisement

F bomb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Oh God, please, no men.

It will go on for the next fortnight if we have to hear from the other halves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

tretorn wrote: »
    Oh God, please, no men.

It will go on for the next fortnight if we have to hear from the other halves too.

And we've to hear from the babies too, many of them hitting forty by now.

Yes and they should apparently put up and shut up with appalling treatment that is their own fault because they’re too fat.

Well, one thing they could do is get their weight down before they get themselves pregnant. There is no point in blaming staff for birth injuries if not only do women not get to a healthy weight before pregnancy but then continue to eat the same fattening food but in double quantities throughout the nine months. Mother then ends up like a beached whale and develops gestational diabetes and baby is too big to deliver through the pelvis.

Caesaran deliveries are probably much more expensive than vaginal deliveries and also you cant throw women out after a few hours, hence hospitals may be reluctant to recommend Csections for the bigger women even though in the long run it would be safer.

And we've to hear from the babies too, many of them hitting forty by now.

We did hear from one of the babies but he is thirty now. He knew the story of his birth off by heart, it must have been retold again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Well, one thing they could do is get their weight down before they get themselves pregnant. There is no point in blaming staff for birth injuries if not only do women not get to a healthy weight before pregnancy but then continue to eat the same fattening food but in double quantities throughout the nine months. Mother then ends up like a beached whale and develops gestational diabetes and baby is too big to deliver through the pelvis.

Caesaran deliveries are probably much more expensive than vaginal deliveries and also you cant throw women out after a few hours, hence hospitals may be reluctant to recommend Csections for the bigger women even though in the long run it would be safer.

You’re all heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

We did hear from one of the babies but he is thirty now. He knew the story of his birth off by heart, it must have been retold again and again.

I must ring in. after I was born my mother asked a nurse to close the window as she was in a draught and the nurse wouldn't.

You’re all heart.

Its called personal responsibility, ie you want the best start in life for your baby so you get a few stone off before you conceive.

Its fair to wonder is obesity and unfitness a factor in these protracted deliveries,

Are babies getting stuck because they are too big at delivery, why are babies getting heavier and heavier and is this babies from lower socio economic backgrounds mainly.

Medical staff arent miracle workers, you could have three midwives responsible for thirty mothers and thirty babies,thats twenty people each to look after on one shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thread would be busier of an unfunny Friday. This was a terrible Tuesday

You’re all heart.

Tretorn is probably a nurse!
    Or should go for the job as seems to fit one of the qualifications!

No, Not a nurse but do know lots of nurses.

People are losing respect for nursing as a profession and the exodus from it is enormous. Its a thankless badly paid job staffed mainly be females who stay in it a lot of the time because the hours are family friendly, ie three long days and four days off or a three night shift once a month and the rest of the time at home.

The last four days radio is pointless, most of the HSE staff dont listen to liveline or at least Ihope they dont if they are supposed to be working. Simon Harris who is Minisster for Health has made no comment whatsoever even though he is ultimately responsible for the maternity services. Ditto with the Chief Executives and the Masters of the hospitals, not one comment have they made to defend their staff. If it was mainly male staff who were having their reputations trashed, ie consultants, they would have plenty to say.

Its called personal responsibility, ie you want the best start in life for your baby so you get a few stone off before you conceive.

Its fair to wonder is obesity and unfitness a factor in these protracted deliveries,

Are babies getting stuck because they are too big at delivery, why are babies getting heavier and heavier and is this babies from lower socio economic backgrounds mainly.

Medical staff arent miracle workers, you could have three midwives responsible for thirty mothers and thirty babies,thats twenty people each to look after on one shift.

You’re making so many assumptions, you know nothing of the weight of the callers throughout the week. If having listened to all the calls and all the horror stories your pressing concern is “I have to wonder if these women were over weight?” then at best, you’re lacking in empathy.

Also there isn’t always a correlation between maternal weight and baby’s birth weight.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that most of the contributors to this thread are male. While I agree the last week has dragged on and been unessesary in part, it’s very clear that most here have never been in a position of needing maternity care and having any concept of what that means to a woman.

i am actually looking at this from a woman who has had children and gone through labour. labour is painful and midwives are busy and that's it. a lot of embellishment to some of these stories which undermines the real stories.

cozar wrote: »
    i am actually looking at this from a woman who has had children and gone through labour. labour is painful and midwives are busy and that's it. a lot of embellishment to some of these stories which undermines the real stories.

I agree to some extent. I’ve had children and I’ve also had multiple miscarriages. While I wouldn’t go on live radio to discuss them I can appreciate for some it’s cathartic and provides maybe some solace.

A kind word and a listening ear even from people who are busy is not too much to ask when in a position of considerable vulnerability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Test

• Advertisement

My mother died during childbirth giving birth to my older brother he is five year's order than me.
    My father died two years before I was born nobody on liveline interested in my story because I'm a man

We’re ye kept in a test tube all those years yer parents had doyed?
    A womb with a view

I agree to some extent. I’ve had children and I’ve also had multiple miscarriages. While I wouldn’t go on live radio to discuss them I can appreciate for some it’s cathartic and provides maybe some solace.

A kind word and a listening ear even from people who are busy is not too much to ask when in a position of considerable vulnerability.

I think some of these women have been retelling their tale of woe to anyone who would listen. There is nothing more boring than listening to other peoples medical woes and maternity medical woes are the most tedious of all.

It may be cathartic for someone to go on liveline and talk without pausing for breath for ten minutes about their experience but its boring and tedious Radio and one full show of it, never mind four days on end is ridiculous. Could you imagine men lining up to take their turn to talk about their hospital experiences, Joe wouldnt entertain them for half an hour, never mind four endless days.

I think Joe intends to continue with this topic, he has endless women waiting for their turn. Why hasnt he given out the name of AIMS, this is an association to improve maternity care. Why hasnt he got any midwives on to talk about their working days. What does he hope to achieve by this, Our midwives are highly sought all over the world so its not a question of them not being fully qualified. If the problem is they are overstaffed and underworked then endless retelling including recorded accounts of negative experiences isnt going to help one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am amazed that there aren't legal implications in constantly slagging off the health service & health professionals who have no right of reply. Duffy knows that they can't discuss individual cases.

I think some of these women have been retelling their tale of woe to anyone who would listen. There is nothing more boring than listening to other peoples medical woes and maternity medical woes are the most tedious of all.

It may be cathartic for someone to go on liveline and talk without pausing for breath for ten minutes about their experience but its boring and tedious Radio and one full show of it, never mind four days on end is ridiculous. Could you imagine men lining up to take their turn to talk about their hospital experiences, Joe wouldnt entertain them for half an hour, never mind four endless days.

I think Joe intends to continue with this topic, he has endless women waiting for their turn. Why hasnt he given out the name of AIMS, this is an association to improve maternity care. Why hasnt he got any midwives on to talk about their working days. What does he hope to achieve by this, Our midwives are highly sought all over the world so its not a question of them not being fully qualified. If the problem is they are overstaffed and underworked then endless retelling including recorded accounts of negative experiences isnt going to help one bit.

If you’re expecting something more than “boring & tedious” radio from Woe Duffy then welcome, you must be new around these parts.

Also I disagree I think if men lined up to give their experience of hospitals he’d be all ears, Joe is equal opportunity when it comes to illness and missing duty of care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Also I disagree I think if men lined up to give their experience of hospitals he’d be all ears

Most normal men are wont to avoid medical matters, doctors and hospitals like the plague! That's last ditch stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Jeff2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Most normal men are wont to avoid medical matters, doctors and hospitals like the plague! That's last ditch stuff..

I am like that when it comes to me but when my kads mother was in the hospital I was there as ofter as possible and there for the one birth that i could be.

Breech birth and I couldn't help but keep looking to see what was going on.
    All ended well and we were thankfull to the doctors and nurses.

The only thing I can deduce from this is that Joe is going to run for the next presidency and every woman who had a child, whether difficult or not, is going to vote for him. Plus there's the fees from the "Callback" show. There's enough material for a 6 month series and just a days input from him doing soundbites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We only get dragged into the health system by the time it's too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There was mighty talk during the Bingo last night with all the ol' wimmin regaling the young whippersnappers of their escapades in the labour ward.

Most if not all had heard the Loifloin yesterday or had heard about it second hand and tuned in to hear what all the fuss was about.

The martyr's of the maternity ward would have Jow canonised if it were possible. 'Only for Jow' 'If it wasn't for Jow Duffy' many of them said...'the things us wimmin went through would never see the light of day.

Some of what they said would make your hair curl and far be it from me to carry tales.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Make sure you listen in today,I'll be on the show.
    Talking about how my mother died during childbirth five years before I was born.
    A rude midwive was so rude to her she died from the shock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Make sure you listen in today,I'll be on the show.
    Talking about how my mother died during childbirth five years before I was born.
    A rude midwive was so rude to her she died from the shock

Wasn't funny the first time.

Anyway,shouldn't you be fixing the wheel on the wagon and heading into town for provisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

We only get dragged into the health system by the time it's too late

That's about it. I sometimes scratch my head when I hear people say that this or that part of the health system would be very different if men were the patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Yep, he's warming to the subject - could get a week or two outa this topic.

From 2 April - full marks for foresight!

He doesnt have to do anything, its even better when he plays the recorded segment, he probably has a nap then.

He is such a jammy dodger, imagine landing that gig and knowing you can stay there till you are seventy.

He doesnt have to do anything, its even better when he plays the recorded segment, he probably has a nap then.

He is such a jammy dodger, imagine landing that gig and knowing you can stay there till you are seventy.
    Ah its all across the public service, in fairness.

Mind you, nobody in the public sector is on an earner anything like Duffy's, but they often do have abnormally high incomes whilst doing SFA and get to enjoy a job beyond scrutiny.

In my line of work, I sometimes have to go to meetings in a national institution. One of the members of the board, who is on a six-figure salary, has been in a sulk for years because of a highly petty dispute with a colleague. I'm not exaggerating when I say he does no work. He must attend meetings but literally sits there playing on his phone. When work does come his way, he passes it to his other colleagues.

At least in Joe's case playing with the telephone is part of his job description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Greasy Tool

Fasten your seatbelts folks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

More of the same and I'm out.

Right; gone.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,909 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Absolutely shameless, especially after leading the preview with another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Greasy Tool

I'm out !!

Thats email from 1979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What exactly was wrong with that first story?

She got told to get out of bed to feed the baby and she wanted to take a medical negligence case because of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

These are cute but they just wont cut it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Hears the word 'baby'

giphy.gif

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

She was drunk I was there that day Mrs ingles was have out baby that day she was locked abused the midwife

its even harder to listen to when its the same person reading the emails. Keep thinking i have heard this story before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is sick, this guy will milk one month of this.
    Horrible cases, but very rare I'd imagine, he is such a ghoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Could they not bring in Morgan Freeman or someone with a less grating voice to read these stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cade75b4174583555ff081c

hello, and goodbye !!

Is this one long story, Jesus wept this woman went through the mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What is this guff, there hasn't been a nun in a hospital in decades?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement