Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation (Currently on Hold 2 hours)

• 15-02-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello,

I've currently been on hold for 2 hours 8 minutes as waiting to get through to the cancellations team. The wait time specified on the phone was 30 minutes. Can a rep please advise me of the cancellation process and where my cancellation letter has to be sent? 

I have never come across a company with customer service as poor as this and I will more than happily pay more elsewhere to allow myself the pleasure of a 10 - 15 minute wait. 

I am counting down the days until by 12 months are up and if I cannot get through to EIR I will simply have to cancel the direct debit and take legal action. 

Thank you 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Just to update this got through at 2 hours and 15 minutes. Verification check fair enough. Rep then proceeded to place me on hold to try facilitate my cancellation request, then hung up on me. I'm shocked and appalled is all I can say. No callback either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

BazzyB wrote: »
    Just to update this got through at 2 hours and 15 minutes. Verification check fair enough. Rep then proceeded to place me on hold to try facilitate my cancellation request, then hung up on me. I'm shocked and appalled is all I can say. No callback either.

https://www.eir.ie/switching/

I’ve no connection with eir but I’m not sure if that’s any help to you:

Letter

Please send your letter to this address;

Switchers team,
    eir
    Floor 2,
    Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John’s Road,
    Dublin 8

Please note this is the only address we can accept Switcher notification letters to.

Please print the word 'Switch' on top of your letter.

For verification purposes and to ensure the best possible customer experience, please include the four below pieces of information;

Your name and address as they appear on your eir bill,
    Your UAN number (this can be found on your eir Bill),
    Your telephone number including dialling code,
    Which service(s) your wish to Switch.
    You can use this letter template if you choose.

Telephone

Please call 1800 504 110 to speak to a customer service advisor who will process your request on the phone and advise you of when the 30 days' notice period will be complete

After the customer service advisor has taken your notice and confirmed when your 30 days' notice period will expire he or she may offer to discuss alternative eir products, services or offers with you. You are not obliged to discuss these alternatives and may end the call at any stage even if you do agree to discuss other options

Thank you, Has be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Had the same problem a month ago, their own eir staff in shops can’t get through to them!! How they getting away with it I don’t know ... comreg should be disbanded. Anyways the only way for you to get through to them is webchat on their website... that’s how I did it and apparently that’s how the shop staff try get through too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

I called them to cancel my broadband on January 28th and gave up after being on hold for 45 minutes, so i found the switch letter (above) on their website, filled it out and sent it in that day........I'm still waiting on any kind of response or acknowledgement........worst customer care I've seen in years! 

Update: I've just logged on to my online banking and cancelled their direct debit......no wait time, no stress....Happy days! And if they call me about it I'll stick them on hold for a couple of hours then cut them off :)
    Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

https://www.eir.ie/switching/

I’ve no connection with eir but I’m not sure if that’s any help to you:

Letter

Please send your letter to this address;

Switchers team,
    eir
    Floor 2,
    Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John’s Road,
    Dublin 8

Please note this is the only address we can accept Switcher notification letters to.

Please print the word 'Switch' on top of your letter.

For verification purposes and to ensure the best possible customer experience, please include the four below pieces of information;

Your name and address as they appear on your eir bill,
    Your UAN number (this can be found on your eir Bill),
    Your telephone number including dialling code,
    Which service(s) your wish to Switch.
    You can use this letter template if you choose.

Telephone

Please call 1800 504 110 to speak to a customer service advisor who will process your request on the phone and advise you of when the 30 days' notice period will be complete

After the customer service advisor has taken your notice and confirmed when your 30 days' notice period will expire he or she may offer to discuss alternative eir products, services or offers with you. You are not obliged to discuss these alternatives and may end the call at any stage even if you do agree to discuss other options
    How dare Eir say "the only address we can accept Switcher notification letters to" The arrogance of that alone tells you the attitude of the management.

Eir cannot work out how to route mail to the right department.

Tell your chief exec Carolan Lennon, she has a brass neck waffling about leadership on morning Ireland when she cant letters to get from one department to next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are you switching provider? If so just do it after your contract is up - no need to contact cancellations. Your new provider will cancel the service (ignore the 30 day notice baloney)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rasle

I'm having the exact same issues. I've been on hold for over 6 hours for the past week. (Staying on the call for over an hour each time).
    I got through to someone once and they hung up on me after putting me back on hold for 10 mins.
    I've emailed their complaints address, which is suppose to provide a response within 48hrs. I immediately received an email telling me that due to a high level of complaints they've updated their response time to 5 days.

I'm trying to cancel the service completely, as my contract is up this week and I'm moving to a SIRO connection.
    The letter they recommend sending only refers to switching. Does it cover complete cancellations too? The website is unclear on this.

Also there are many reports on this site of people who have sent the letter to switch and are yet still being charged.
    I cannot see a way out of paying Eir, outside of just cancelling my direct debit, which would be breaking a contract.
    I feel Eir's behavior or practices at this point are illegal. If there are enough of us being affected can we jointly submit a request for help from ComReg? 

Rasle wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same issues. I've been on hold for over 6 hours for the past week. (Staying on the call for over an hour each time).
    I got through to someone once and they hung up on me after putting me back on hold for 10 mins.
    I've emailed their complaints address, which is suppose to provide a response within 48hrs. I immediately received an email telling me that due to a high level of complaints they've updated their response time to 5 days.

I'm trying to cancel the service completely, as my contract is up this week and I'm moving to a SIRO connection.
    The letter they recommend sending only refers to switching. Does it cover complete cancellations too? The website is unclear on this.

Also there are many reports on this site of people who have sent the letter to switch and are yet still being charged.
    I cannot see a way out of paying Eir, outside of just cancelling my direct debit, which would be breaking a contract.
    I feel Eir's behavior or practices at this point are illegal. If there are enough of us being affected can we jointly submit a request for help from ComReg? 

You have to pay what you contracted to pay.
    You must exit the contract per the terms and conditions. This requires you to inform Eir at there address that you are cancelling the contract.

You need to keep documentary evidence that you have done this, registered letter receipt.

You can cancel your direct debit while agreeing to pay what you owe.

Now you are in control.
    If they keeping messing about send an email with your evidence as a formal complaint to ccm@eir.ie which is the official eir email account agreed with ComReg for complaints.
    Request a unique ComReg complaint number.

Good news!!
    I called again today, on hold for another 1hr and 25mins, then someone answered.
    Thankfully they didn't hang up on me this time. So I got my cancel request in.
    I did request that the 30 day notice be set back to this time last week, when I started calling, but they claim there is no way to do that on their system. So that's approximately €20 they've effectively stolen from me (1 week at the out of contract monthly price of €76).

Now they have promised to send me confirmation of the cancellation through all of the below;
    1. A text message
    2. An email
    3. A letter, with details of how/where to return the modem

It'll be interesting to see if I get any of these. At least I've made some progress.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, but it often sounds good to get rid of you.

Anyone want to give odds on you getting any or all of these.

I'm particularly suspicious of emails, since Eir seems allergic to them when dealing with customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

Good news!!
    I called again today, on hold for another 1hr and 25mins, then someone answered.
    I did request that the 30 day notice be set back to this time last week, when I started calling, but they claim there is no way to do that on their system. So that's approximately €20 they've effectively stolen from me (1 week at the out of contract monthly price of €76).

Now they have promised to send me confirmation of the cancellation through all of the below;
    1. A text message
    2. An email

It'll be interesting to see if I get any of these. At least I've made some progress.
    Hi Rasle

Could you pm me the following details and I can check that your request has been processed.

Registered Name:
    Registered Address:
    Account Number:
    DOB:
    Are you the account holder?

Many thanks

~Linzi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

When the CS hang up on customers is that as a result of:
    CS agent actually hanging up
    Flaw in the telephone software that drops call
    Agent pressing the wrong button by mistake 

It seems to happen quite regularly - too often to be chalked down as 'just one of those things'
    Surely this has to be captured during basic training 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All of those things

eir: Linzi wrote: »
    Good news!!

1. A text message
    2. An email

Hi Rasle

Could you pm me the following details and I can check that your request has been processed.

Registered Name:
    Registered Address:
    Account Number:
    DOB:

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Thank you for the reply Linzi.
    I've just sent you the PM there now.

Good news!!

1. A text message
    2. An email

Hi Rasle

Registered Name:
    Registered Address:
    Account Number:
    DOB:

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Thank you for the reply Linzi.
    I've just sent you the PM there now.
    Hi Rasle 

I have responded to your pm.

Thanks

Linzi

Just to update on this. Eventually got through to a rep that day at near 3 hours waiting, explained I would like to cancel my account, he then put me on hold and hung up. 

Eventually got an address for cancellations off of a customer service rep on web chat but she said she could not acknowledge the closure of my account. 

I sent a letter outlining the date I wished to cancel my contact (At the end of the 12 Months) to Eir HQ cancellations team and that I would be cancelling my direct debit following the payment of that billing period. 3 weeks later and no response. I am now once again on hold with customer care >20 minutes to try and get someone to acknowledge receipt of my cancellation letter. 

I'm baffled at how customer service can be this bad. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Just to update on this. Eventually got through to a rep that day at near 3 hours waiting, explained I would like to cancel my account, he then put me on hold and hung up. 

Eventually got an address for cancellations off of a customer service rep on web chat but she said she could not acknowledge the closure of my account. 

I sent a letter outlining the date I wished to cancel my contact (At the end of the 12 Months) to Eir HQ cancellations team and that I would be cancelling my direct debit following the payment of that billing period. 3 weeks later and no response. I am now once again on hold with customer care >20 minutes to try and get someone to acknowledge receipt of my cancellation letter. 

I'm baffled at how customer service can be this bad. 
    Hi BazzyB, 

If you could PM the following details I can check if your letter was received?
    1. Registered Name
    2. Registered Address
    3. Account Number
    4. DOB
    5. Are you the Account Holder?

Thanks, 
    Grainne

Just a quick update on my story too, which I thought had ended but that is now not the case.

So I was told to expect a text, an email and a letter. I didn't receive any of these within the first two weeks of making my cancellation request. However an Eir rep on this site did check my details and confirmed my request to cease my Eir service was in place and set for the 19th of March. Thanks again Linzi.

I was, foolishly, happy with that confirmation.

Then, last Wednesday I received a letter, dated the same. It explained that I had requested to "switch" and that my new provider would handle the switch. I would continue to be billed until my new service provider had made the request.
    Lastly if I wished to cease my service I would need to contact Eir.

Needless to say I definitely requested my service to cease, not switch!

The following day I received a bill, for the entire billing period through into April, not ending on the 19th.

So what choices do I have remaining?

1. Wait on hold with Eir and hope, naively, that they process my request correctly and refund the over payment, from their latest bill.
    2. Cancel my direct debit and refuse to pay as they have proven to be an incompetent service, therefore I have not received the service I was paying for.
    3. Hope that an Eir rep here can clear all this up for me.
    4. Seek legal advice through ComReg or a solicitor.

I believe I'm an extremely reasonable and law abiding person, I've never considered going to a solicitor before but this whole experience is completely ridiculous and distressing.

Just a quick update on my story too, which I thought had ended but that is now not the case.

So I was told to expect a text, an email and a letter. I didn't receive any of these within the first two weeks of making my cancellation request. However an Eir rep on this site did check my details and confirmed my request to cease my Eir service was in place and set for the 19th of March. Thanks again Linzi.

I was, foolishly, happy with that confirmation.

Then, last Wednesday I received a letter, dated the same. It explained that I had requested to "switch" and that my new provider would handle the switch. I would continue to be billed until my new service provider had made the request.
    Lastly if I wished to cease my service I would need to contact Eir.

Needless to say I definitely requested my service to cease, not switch!

The following day I received a bill, for the entire billing period through into April, not ending on the 19th.

So what choices do I have remaining?

1. Wait on hold with Eir and hope, naively, that they process my request correctly and refund the over payment, from their latest bill.
    2. Cancel my direct debit and refuse to pay as they have proven to be an incompetent service, therefore I have not received the service I was paying for.
    3. Hope that an Eir rep here can clear all this up for me.
    4. Seek legal advice through ComReg or a solicitor.

I believe I'm an extremely reasonable and law abiding person, I've never considered going to a solicitor before but this whole experience is completely ridiculous and distressing.
    Hi Rasle

I have sent you a pm

Thanks

Linzi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Could I suggest that people start to highlight this stuff to their local TDs?
    ComReg seem not to want to know unless you've a specific complaint. I can't seem to get them to take feedback on the flaws in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I have to say I am astounded as to the number of problems with Eir on this forum, it is shocking and to think of all the glossy ads that they run portraying everything as being just rosey, something seriously not right here, It warrants an investigation from government level as to what is at the root of the problems here, this is not the norm.

"So what choices do I have remaining?

I agree this is ridiculous and distressing but getting the members of legal profession involved will not work."

Solicitors have no clout with Eir.

Here is my process:

1. Wait on hold for 10 minutes.

2. Raise issue here with reps, who do their very best.

3. Email chief exec Carolan Lennon. (google it). I believe in giving a supplier a chance to fix the problem before going to the regulator.

4. Email official complaint to ccm@eir.ie, request an official complaint number.

5. After 10 days lodge official complaint to consumerline@ComReg.ie.

Alternatively listen to Eir stunning music collection, get commitments that may not happen,
    get extremely frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

I contacted Eir on the 8th of February to close my account.

I was told that I would receive an email with a code that I had to enter online in order to close the a/c. 

When I still had not received an email after a week, I contacted Eir Live Chat who told me that everything was in order & not to worry. I have screenshots of this conversation.

I heard nothing more until I received my regular email notification of my new bill on the 6th of March. I again contacted Live Chat, who told me that I would receive the closure email once my notice period was over.

As of today, Tuesday the 11th of March, I still have not received the closure email, so I again rang 1901. I was on hold for 35 mins when I was cut off. I rang back again & I was on hold for an hour this time when I finally got through. The person with a Cork accent who answered was polite & seemed helpful. He told me that he couldn't understand why I didn't receive the email. He said that I should have received that email straight away! He said that he would need to put me on hold in order to speak with his supervisor & I was then dumped back into the queue. After 20 mins a woman with an English accent answered, I explained the situation. She asked me to hold for a second & immediately dumped me back into the queue.

I then contacted Live Chat, who told me that I had to ring 1901.

At the end of my tether I have now cancelled my Eir Direct Debit. I will of course pay them any money owed, which shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 days of my monthly bill by debit card, if they ever manage to issue me with a final bill.

I have sent an email to ccm@eir.ie informing them of all of the above. I requested an official complaint number. I received an automated response almost immediately saying that the matter would be investigated by a member of the Customer Care Team & that they would get back to me shortly. With an added line, that due to higher than normal complaint volumes, there may be a delay of up to 5 days.

Funny that, as the Eir reps on here have stated that email address no longer woks. Dishonesty seems to be a company wide policy. I will never, ever sign up with Eir again.I was only with them, so as not to have to pay separately for the BT Sport pack. But it looks like come the summer that they will have lost that now anyway: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/eir-customers-could-lose-out-on-bt-sport-and-premier-sports-as-sky-take-over-1.3823004

If this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction within 10 days, I will be lodging an official complaint with ComReg.

I would like to thank @Paddy19 for all the information that he has provided across numerous threads in the Eir forum. I was at my wits' end until I read his advice.

I will follow up on here when I hear back

Edited for a formatting problem.

I was told that I would receive an email with a code that I had to enter online in order to close the a/c. 

When I still had not received an email after a week, I contacted Eir Live Chat who told me that everything was in order & not to worry. I have screenshots of this conversation.

I heard nothing more until I received my regular email notification of my new bill on the 6th of March. I again contacted Live Chat, who told me that I would receive the closure email once my notice period was over.

As of today, Tuesday the 11th of March, I still have not received the closure email, so I again rang 1901. I was on hold for 35 mins when I was cut off. I rang back again & I was on hold for an hour this time when I finally got through. The person with a Cork accent who answered was polite & seemed helpful. He told me that he couldn't understand why I didn't receive the email. He said that I should have received that email straight away! He said that he would need to put me on hold in order to speak with his supervisor & I was then dumped back into the queue. After 20 mins a woman with an English accent answered, I explained the situation. She asked me to hold for a second & immediately dumped me back into the queue.

At the end of my tether I have now cancelled my Eir Direct Debit. I will of course pay them any money owed, which shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 days of my monthly bill by debit card, if they ever manage to issue me with a final bill.

I have sent an email to [email=<strong>ccm@eir.ie</strong>]ccm@eir.ie[/email] informing them of all of the above. I requested an official complaint number. I received an automated response almost immediately saying that the matter would be investigated by a member of the Customer Care Team & that they would get back to me shortly. With an added line, that due to higher than normal complaint volumes, there may be a delay of up to 5 days.

Funny that, as the Eir reps on here have stated that email address no longer woks. Dishonesty seems to be a company wide policy. I will never, ever sign up with Eir again.I was only with them, so as not to have to pay separately for the BT Sport pack. But it looks like come the summer that they will have lost that now anyway: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/eir-customers-could-lose-out-on-bt-sport-and-premier-sports-as-sky-take-over-1.3823004

If this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction within 10 days, I will be lodging an official complaint with ComReg.

I would like to thank @Paddy19 for all the information that he has provided across numerous threads in the Eir forum. I was at my wits' end until I read his advice.

Hi Silverfluffs

Can you pm me the following details and I will take a look at your account ~

Name
    Account Number
    1st line of address
    DOB

Many thanks ~

Linzi

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

I have sent an email to [email=<strong>ccm@eir.ie</strong>]ccm@eir.ie[/email] informing them of all of the above. I requested an official complaint number. I received an automated response almost immediately saying that the matter would be investigated by a member of the Customer Care Team & that they would get back to me shortly. With an added line, that due to higher than normal complaint volumes, there may be a delay of up to 5 days.

Just to follow up on this. I rang ComReg this morning on 01 8049600 & they were super nice. I was only on hold a short few mins before getting through. I hate having to make phone calls like this, but they couldn't have been more helpful. They issued me with a case reference number & told me to ring them back tomorrow, as it would then be 10 working days since I had emailed an official complaint to Eir at ccm@eir.ie. I've heard nothing back from Eir, other than the initial automated response.

So if you are having problems don't waste your time & energy on hold to Eir for endless hours. Email an official complaint to ccm@eir.ie. Wait 10 working days & then contact ComReg on 01 8049600.

I will follow up again here once the matter has been finally resolved. 

Just to follow up on this. I rang ComReg this morning on 01 8049600 & they were super nice. I was only on hold a short few mins before getting through. I hate having to make phone calls like this, but they couldn't have been more helpful. They issued me with a case reference number & told me to ring them back tomorrow, as it would then be 10 working days since I had emailed an official complaint to Eir at ccm@eir.ie. I've heard nothing back from Eir, other than the initial automated response.

So if you are having problems don't waste your time & energy on hold to Eir for endless hours. Email an official complaint to ccm@eir.ie. Wait 10 working days & then contact ComReg on 01 8049600.

I will follow up again here once the matter has been finally resolved. 
    Hi Silverfluffs

I have sent you a pm

Many thanks

Linzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hi Silverfluffs

I have sent you a pm

Many thanks

Linzi

Nothing for 2 weeks then 90 minutes after he posts about comreg the reps miraculously appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nothing for 2 weeks then 90 minutes after he posts about comreg the reps miraculously appear.

And next Friday they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And next Friday they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

Will anyone notice?

Advertisement