Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnageeragh Cove development right beside water treatment plant.Buy or avoid?

Options
  • 15-02-2019 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

ATTENTION SKERRIES RESIDENTS: Can you weigh in on the following topic for me.

I recently seen a new development phase of Barnageeragh Cove is to be released in the next couple of months. I was excited as I am looking to live in a seaside town in County Dublin. I am very fond of Skerries, the houses are Ber A rated, and it is 20 mins walk from the dart station. Which will bring both my husband and I to our jobs within an hours commute.

I visited the proposed site yesterday to find that the site is literally across the road from the front gate of Skerries water treatment plant on 1 Kelly's Bay Parade, Ardla. There's the catch. The development is right beside water treatment plant.

There was no great odor when I walked there from the dart station, I am here seeking any 'local knowledge' of living in this area of Skerries.

I did speak to a resident of Barnageeragh cove whom I met on my walkabout on the topic. He said that there is a bit of a smell on a Saturday morning and that is it really. He moved there from the city centre and that Skerries is a wonderful place to live and start a family. That I should not be put off by the treatment plant.

Prices are skyrocketing in the general commuter belt of Dublin and will continue to do so. Whilst I am looking at other new developments in nearby seaside towns, none are within as easy a walk to a dart station and have as many amenities nearby.
    I do need to decide in the next two weeks to move on this or not.

Can any local residents who live in close proximity to this site tell me if I should be put off buying in this development?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

I don’t live beside the Sewage treatment plant but I have found the odour particularly bad during the summertime. I personally would not buy there, it’s also on the very outskirts of the town. There is no dart in skerries !!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Don't live in Skerries but drive through it. In the summer there is a very strong odour and it lingers due to the plant. With added housing raw material is being released at times of high use. Locals had complained to the council. The houses are walking distance to the train station. It may not be the dart but there are trains into and out of town. Prices have increased massively in the estate. Have a look at the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Skerries is a lovely spot to be fair but I've noticed the smell a few times when driving by.
    The houses aren't cheap so I wouldn't be too happy with it myself.
    If you want new there is also The Links in skerries, which is only 10 min from station.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

The more people that move to the area, the more people that will complain about the smell, sooner or later the council will be forced into finding a solution if they want the area to be a family friendly, safe and happy environment for people to live...Of course that might take a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I live at the other end of the road leading up to the estate so I pass through there very often. There used to be an issue with the plant maybe about 7 years ago when it smelled horrendous. That was resolved and since then I haven't noticed any regular smell, although a few posters have pointed out they have. I have noticed it on only a handful of occasions but it was never that bad.

Skerries is a fantastic place to live. There's plenty of houses for sale too, and there is no DART station in Skerries but that'll be along in the next few years.

Not sure what houses you are looking at in Barnageeragh but there is a new development going up called The Links, by all means a better location in my opinion. Check out Skerries Rock too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

The area around banageeragh is bad in th e summer Maybe wait and visit during the summer. Smell is normally in the warm weather when there is no movement at the sea. Raw sewerage is pumped out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marcelomaxaqp

Was there any improvement about odor control in the treatment plant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yes. New caps put on the holding tanks this year. Haven't smelled anything this summer

Advertisement