Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most efficient way to get dollars for short U.S break

• 15-02-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

Avoiding charges as much as possible.

PTSB is the bank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

https://www.revolut.com/our-pricing-plans

Used this app while abroad recently. Extremely handy to be able to change funds between currencies as much as you want. I use it for all my day to day expenditure back home too. Currency exchange is at the market rate with no fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mr.S wrote: »
    Revolut really is the best way.

Top it up with € and when you arrive take out $100 in cash for emergencies / tips and use the card for everything else. No charges.

Always pay in local ($) currency when it prompted at the ATM or payment terminals.

You can't use it at most self service gas stations just FYI.

You pretty much can't use any non-US card in gas stations. Load of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

McGaggs wrote: »
    You pretty much can't use any non-US card in gas stations. Load of hassle.

I'd say a quarter of them accept Irish cards. Amex is the way to go if renting in the US regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I haven't rented a car in the US for a long time but why would a gas station refuse to accept an Irish credit card when they're accepted in hotels, restaurants and stores all over the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,107 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the gas station issue no longer exists since they switched to needing PIN numbers over there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement