Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reply options - optional quoting of post

Options
  • 15-02-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been brought up many times.

Would it be possible to reduce quoting of a full post by not having the reply with quote as the default option.

Perhaps having reply with no quoting as default option and a tick box to include the original post?

Sorry for typo in the title, mods can you change pist to post?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I agree with you. It’s very irritating when the first reply to a post quotes the entire original post. It takes up space with no benefit. It’s particularly annoying for mobile users. As a mod, I snip it when it happens in my forums.

However, that doesn’t happen for me. If I use Quick reply or even just Reply, I don’t have the original post quoted. In my view, I have to deliberately hit “Quote” in order for that to happen.

What skin/view are you using? I’m wondering if this is a view thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are you on touch? If so, hitting the Reply button will quote whatever post the button it is attached to. If you hit the Post button at the bottom of the screen, then there are no quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

dudara wrote: »
    What skin/view are you using? I’m wondering if this is a view thing

I'm using the legacy site, from mobile predominantly. Not a frequent poster, but a frequent reader and just wondering options there might be to reduce quoting as default.

When I pressed reply to this I got the full message above quoted and manually trimmed it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Ranjo,

We can add this to the suggestions list. In the meantime you will need to scroll to the top or bottom of the page on mobile and press the "post" button

I wanted to double check on this thread. Is anything likely to be actioned from this?

I have an example post and many one line responses which shows what I mean.

It's in Personal Issues so won't post here unless requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

With the Covid-19 pandemic in play, the development team are in maintenance mode for the time being. Any changes of this nature to the site (if it is followed up on) won't be happening until this is all over.

Boards.ie Employee

Sorry, Ranjo. As Mike said, new development work is going to be taking a backseat for the time being.

Wasn't really asking for it to be done right now, the timing of my check-up post was probably not the right time to be asking. I just wanted to see if it's even being considered, given it was over a year ago I originally brought it up.

The "If" and "when" are up to you obviously.

Boards.ie Employee

Before the pandemic kicked off, work on the back-end was being prioritised over new features, so we wouldn't have been able to give a time frame as to when new features could have been considered.

It was planned that when this work was taken care of, we would be able to review new feature suggestions and prioritise from there. This is part of the list that will be reviewed in the future, but I am unsure when that will be.

No worries. Hope you're all keeping safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement