Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »
    I would guess Eglinton street for a start. Forster street too.

I'd absolutely agree with removing peak hour parking from those streets. Not suitable for protected bike lanes though, because there still needs to be off-peak parking for deliveries to the businesses. (And not it's not feasible to deliver to them by bicycle courier: think about what a keg weighs.)

Eglinton St isn't a candidate for one-way though because there's no obvious parallel for buses etc to use.

Lough atalia / college road

They tried one way. The problem wasn't on-street parking. It was the speed that traffic went at, and also that it really isolated old people living on College Rd who depend on public transport to get into town.

mill street / sea road / Henry street / presentation road / Dominic street ....

I don't know traffic patterns in the west so well - guess there could be some good one-way loops there. Removing on-street parking is more of an issue, because where would the residents park.

After that take a look at headford road from courthouse to traffic lights at tesco ....

Very little on-street parking there. Hard to see it as a candidate for one-way, again, no obvious parallel. But I'd totally agree there should be a lane for low-powered two and three wheelers, which is both a protected from high-powered vehicles and grade separated from pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The ped lights at the spainish arc are the main cause of traffic to stretch along the docks and Lough Atalia Road
    I dunno where this idea came from but it's demonstrably wrong. There's a near solid line of traffic between those lights and Ravens Terrace in the evening rush hour. Pedestrian lights add minor delay at best. We're talking a 2-5 car gap between those lights and the end of the traffic at Ravens Terrace. Removing the lights would shift the traffic by that amount.

In saying that, I wonder why they don't change them to be flashing amber at peak times.

Will the galway city council do away with on street parking on certain roads to facilitate one way systems or bike lanes ????
    The revenue from on street parking pays for a lot of these public sector workers !!
    Sooner better than later galway city council needs to get its head out if it's ARS ,and start implementing drastic changes ,to aliveate all the issues regarding galway traffic no matter what mode of transport you use .
    Yup. It's craziness. GCC have a real hard on for those parking spaces. I think they calculate their value as price-per-hour x hours-in-the-day (i.e. assuming 100% usage and compliance at all times). I'd love to see if they bring in anywhere near that amount. I doubt it somehow.

I'd absolutely agree with removing peak hour parking from those streets. Not suitable for protected bike lanes though, because there still needs to be off-peak parking for deliveries to the businesses. (And not it's not feasible to deliver to them by bicycle courier: think about what a keg weighs.)

Eglinton St isn't a candidate for one-way though because there's no obvious parallel for buses etc to use.

They tried one way. The problem wasn't on-street parking. It was the speed that traffic went at, and also that it really isolated old people living on College Rd who depend on public transport to get into town.

I don't know traffic patterns in the west so well - guess there could be some good one-way loops there. Removing on-street parking is more of an issue, because where would the residents park.

Very little on-street parking there. Hard to see it as a candidate for one-way, again, no obvious parallel. But I'd totally agree there should be a lane for low-powered two and three wheelers, which is both a protected from high-powered vehicles and grade separated from pedestrians.

Delivery drivers rarely use parking spots. They use delivery zones or pull up wherever they can. Keg deliveries are a good example. They'll park nearly in the cellar if they can, but they'll also roll them half way across town if needs be.

If there was no parking for private car, they'd actually have more space for deliveries and cause less of an impedance.

I can think of "parallels" for all those roads you mentioned. Think rings as opposed to straight lines. The car might have to travel further overall, but they're pretty quick when they're free to move, so it would be faster.
    The Lough Atalia one-way system was poorly planned with no residence consultation and a half-ass implementation. They could 100% solve all the problems they encountered if they put some effort into it. I've a feeling we'll see it again in the not too distant future.

Last I heard the one way Lough Atalia/College Road setup was due to return

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Last I heard the one way Lough Atalia/College Road setup was due to return
    Not in the one way sense
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109978379&postcount=227

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

One way coming in Lough atalia and outbound on college road .
    One way coming in bohermore and outbound headford road .
    By doing this you would have room along these roads for bus lanes .
    A zero tolerance is needed along those roads ,for vecihcles of all sorts ,that would be abandoned as in already in practice along foster street and eglinton street.
    One way system turning off prospect hill down " hidden valley " .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Also .... University road / headford road / bohermore / Lough atalia / college road / .... Nonsense to suggest half of the galway city roads/ streets are already one way
    Dock Road, Merchants Road, East side of Eyre Square, Prospect Hill, Cross Street, Middle Street, Market Street, Lower and Upper AbbeyGate Street, Augustine Street, Bowling Green, Mary Street, Eyre Street, Brendans Avenue, Bothar Irwin, Waterside, Forster Street, That road going from Prospect Hill down to the Bus Station, Raleigh Row.... hardly nonsense.

I agree we need more mind

xckjoo wrote: »
    I can think of "parallels" for all those roads you mentioned. Think rings as opposed to straight lines. The car might have to travel further overall, but they're pretty quick when they're free to move, so it would be faster.

Please do share the names.

But note that we dont want 'em moving quicker. And that drivers of low-power vehicles have issues with being asked to travel substantially further.

To stop so called speeding on these one way roads
    Lough atalia / college road / bohermore / headford road ... Put proper signage up and speed cameras !!!
    better to be moving at 30 kph than stuck in bumper to bumper traffic .

Please do share the names.

But note that we dont want 'em moving quicker. And that drivers of low-power vehicles have issues with being asked to travel substantially further.

What's a "low-power" vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So it's not ok for cars to break the rules but it is ok for cyclists to break them :rolleyes:

Of course not - needs to be based on risk. Fines and penalties for breaking the rules needs to be based on physics. Basic Newtonian Physics. I.E the greater the mass you have - the greater the damage you are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »

This is correct. One main reason - Galway Port redevelopment/existing Port HGV traffic. Would it practical for Outbound HGV to using Fairgreen Road - TRAIN STATION/2 Bus Stations? Lough Ataila as it is, is not suitable for 5 axel HGV. College Road certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Absolute traffic chaos again near Dun Na Corribe where they repaired a water leak recently, they are digging it up again, the bridge inbound is jammed from the Corrib Park roundabout and also coming from the City towards the headford road, avoid at all costs its not moving.

Storm10.... Another example of how NOT to do things in galway .
    traffic chaos down there and it's not raining or rush hour .
    That's why CCTV operated traffic lights s are needed !!!
    If you had CCTV operated traffic lights ,instead of the roundabout at castlelawn heights , the person watching on camera would be able to see westbound on the bridge is in serious trouble, and therefore change the light sequence to help alleviate the problem.
    Wake up galway city council .
    It's not rocket science.
    But I've always said .... " give me streetsmarts over book smarts any day "

Storm10.... Another example of how NOT to do things in galway .
    traffic chaos down there and it's not raining or rush hour .
    That's why CCTV operated traffic lights s are needed !!!
    If you had CCTV operated traffic lights ,instead of the roundabout at castlelawn heights , the person watching on camera would be able to see westbound on the bridge is in serious trouble, and therefore change the light sequence to help alleviate the problem.
    Wake up galway city council .
    It's not rocket science.
    But I've always said .... " give me streetsmarts over book smarts any day "

They're trying to get rid of that roundabout no? It's more a case of bureaucracy than anything

Xckjoo.... The issue with that roundabouts is there's 5 archeries off that roundabout .
    Headford road inbound / tuam road / liosban/ headford road outbound / castlelawn .
    Traffic lights work best when there are 4 .
    They considered closing off liosban... Businesses complained.
    They considered closing off castlelawn.... Residents complained.
    What they are now going to do is
    When you drive down by the menlo park hotel, you will have to take a left, as you approach lights , to take a right to come back into traffic lights , where roundabout is at moment .

Xckjoo.... The issue with that roundabouts is there's 5 archeries off that roundabout .
    Headford road inbound / tuam road / liosban/ headford road outbound / castlelawn .
    When you drive down by the menlo park hotel, you will have to take a left, as you approach lights , to take a right to come back into traffic lights , where roundabout is at moment .

Ya that's bureaucracy. Not "book learning"

It's design !!!
    Who designs these projects ????
    People who to much book smarts and not enough street smarts .
    Same people decided to put down cobblestones down shop street and allow heavy Lorries drive on them .
    Same people told us eyre square redevelopment was going to give galway a worldwide appreciated plaza ???
    Same people are involved in the galway 2020 fiasco .
    Same people were involved in the Volvo ocean race finale .
    Same people .......

It's design !!!
    Who designs these projects ????
    People who to much book smarts and not enough street smarts .
    Same people decided to put down cobblestones down shop street and allow heavy Lorries drive on them .
    Same people told us eyre square redevelopment was going to give galway a worldwide appreciated plaza ???
    Same people are involved in the galway 2020 fiasco .
    Same people were involved in the Volvo ocean race finale .
    Same people .......

Actually they're designed, go to committee, get rejected due whatever reasons, go back to get redesigned with compromises, get rejected again due to the same or new reasons, back to redesign, etc.

Nobody sets out to design a sh1t solution. I'm not sure what you're getting at other than having a rant. Some of those examples you gave happened decades apart so aren't likely to be the same people at all. Are you suggesting it would be better to not design these things and let them throw together whatever feels right on the day?

To my eyes, the problem is in that redesign loop. The stakeholders are driven by their own objectives, which aren't always the same objectives as the wider population. So for example with traffic most people will want overall improvement in traffic flow, but businesses are only interested in customers and will fight anything they perceive as a threat (usually based on their opinion which can often be refuted by looking at the research), local people will have different desires than every one else (e.g. minimum traffic near their house), and some people will argue against a change because they believe it'll make things worse because "it's obvious" or they prefer roundabouts to traffic lights.

Research (or "book learning") is vitally important to making these decisions, that's why I'm pushing the point and not leaving you to it. On the face of it, I'd assume building more roads would help with traffic, but every single bit of research I've read on the topic has found the opposite. That's important to know or we'd just keep repeating the same mistakes. Same with parking spots in town. You'd think that would bring more customers to the shops, but again that has been found to be untrue. It's footfall that is the biggest factor to shop sales, so increased pedestrianisation is actually more likely to help businesses.

But I do agree that design without hands-on experience is almost always a disaster. It's the flip side of throwing something together based on intuition (or "street smarts"). The solution must lie somewhere in the middle. Use the research to show us what works on a macro scale and then apply it with local knowledge input.

Anyway. I'll leave it at that. I tend to agree with you in general Ashleigh, just thought that point is too important to ignore.

There will only be 4 arms at the new junction.

• Advertisement

If you had CCTV operated traffic lights ,instead of the roundabout at castlelawn heights , the person watching on....

You must be mad, the worst thing that ever happened to traffic in Galway was getting rid of the roundabouts. They are vastly more efficient for traffic flow and traffic in Galway moved massively better before they all got take away. It was an idiotic nove.

One way systems are another disaster of an idea forcing people to drive half way around the city to make a short journey not to mention how forcing far more cars deon a single route than multiple routes will cause absolute mayhem at rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

You must be mad, the worst thing that ever happened to traffic in Galway was getting rid of the roundabouts. They are vastly more efficient for traffic flow and traffic in Galway moved massively better before they all got take away. It was an idiotic nove.

You can't compare the flow through roundabouts back then to the flow through traffic light junctions now though as the volume of traffic has changed.

Moving to traffic lights gives you the ability to control the flow of traffic much better, especially once all junctions are all converted and the signals connected and a bit of smarts or supervision to keep things moving efficiently. Unfortunately this step hasn't happened in Galway yet.

Roundabouts are also a major deterrent to cycling and more bikes has to be central to a solution for modern inner-city transport - it has already proven to work across many cities.

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's a "low-power" vehicle?

Bicycle. Tricycle. Scooter. Many eBikes.

Bicycle. Tricycle. Scooter. Many eBikes.

They aren't cars. We have different sets of rules for them (contra flows, bus lanes, bike lanes, etc). A bit of extra distance isn't an issue on a bike though. Elevation changes are a much bigger challenge. Most people I've met that cycle commute already take longer routes to avoid things like hills and dangerous parts of the road. Not too many trikes out there....

PS thanks to nox for perfectly demonstrating what I was talking about with intuition vs fact backed information

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    You can't compare the flow through roundabouts back then to the flow through traffic light junctions now though as the volume of traffic has changed.

Moving to traffic lights gives you the ability to control the flow of traffic much better, especially once all junctions are all converted and the signals connected and a bit of smarts or supervision to keep things moving efficiently. Unfortunately this step hasn't happened in Galway yet.

Roundabouts are also a major deterrent to cycling and more bikes has to be central to a solution for modern inner-city transport - it has already proven to work across many cities.

Exactly chewylouie....it won't be until all the roundabouts are taken out and a PROPERLY CCTV OPERATED TRAFFUC LIGHT SYTEM OPERATED BY PROPERLY TRAINED PEOPLE is replaced .

There will only be 4 arms at the new junction.

I'm aware of that Dacor ... That's why the uproar over which junction to close off.

I'm aware of that Dacor ... That's why the uproar over which junction to close off.

Some folks just don't like change

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Traffic backed up do horrifically this evening. Even into NUI, due to roadworks on the headford road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Why the can't have flashing Amber lights for people going left on the Tuam road from bothar Na drabh is beyond me, you have to join with the same traffic going straight ahead, why when the lights are green for traffic coming in from Tuam going straight ahead left and right can't the lights go green to go left for Tuam instead you have to wait for all lights to go green, they should only be red going left when a pedestrian wants to cross.

• Advertisement

Same storm10 when you hit the lights at foster street .
    Why can't there be a flashing amber light to turn left going up college road ?
    Yet again galway city council and its engineers haven't a clue .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement