Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

More nonsense. As a country we are one of the least populated countries is Europe. So our density is low everywhere in the country. You keep coming back to the density argument but once again this hasn't been used as a reason to build the road.

Untrue. Population density varies greatly in Ireland. County Galway is quite low. I don't want too even count what it is for the western part of the county minus Galway City and attachments (Bearna). It must be abysmally low for EU standards. There are plenty of roads already.

Guffy wrote:
    Your ignoring the fact that all of these population centres, dense or not, filter through one junction.

Which one? Do you need a 600m project to extend it? Build two more bridges over the Corrib and one more junction for fraction of the cost of the "bypass".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

We need to step back and figure out how we protect Ireland for future generations. Its likely the population will continue to grow. The answer to the above is to make our cities "liveable". This means designing the cities in a manner where people decide they are better off living within the city region. This means high quality transport, green spaces, rent control, etc
    We also need to discourage people building in the countryside through planning restrictions etc
    Agree + build up the density of towns within normal commuting range of Galway City as well. Then the transport services will be viable and available to commute from those towns into the City if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

McGiver wrote: »
    Untrue. Population density varies greatly in Ireland. County Galway is quite low. I don't want too even count what it is for the western part of the county minus Galway City and attachments (Bearna). It must be abysmally low for EU standards. There are plenty of roads already.

It has increased by 50% since we last increased capacity across the corrib

It has increased by 50% since we last increased capacity across the corrib

Density? Or Population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Density? Or Population?

Think about the effect of a 50% increase in population o the population density .....

Think about the effect of a 50% increase in population o the population density .....

Asking the wrong person the wrong question.

Density? Or Population?

When did the county border change???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Can you not clarify what you mean? I've no idea what the 50% refers to from your original post and this doesn't help at all.

You tell me???

• Advertisement

You tell me???

Tell you what?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Can you not clarify what you mean? I've no idea what the 50% refers to from your original post and this doesn't help at all.

They is clearly a direct correlation between population and density unless the boundary has changed

They is clearly a direct correlation between population and density unless the boundary has changed

But you haven't defined what's encapsulated by any of those terms when you said "It has increased by 50%since we last increased capacity across the corrib"

What's "it"?
    50% of what?
    What does a 50% increase signify?
    What population? City? County? Transient? Other?
    County boundary? City boundary? Commuter distance boundary? Other?
    Density in terms of housing, people, commuters, other?

If this is so obvious, why do you keep avoiding giving any clarification? Explain to us thickos down the back :pac:

Let's say you are right and the density increased by 50% from 28 to 42/sq km (which is the density of Co Galway in 2016).
    It's still abysmally low by any standards. And that includes Galway City and its growth. Now back to Galway West (population ~31,000, area ~2000 sq km), the density is extremely low, my estimate is 15 to 20/km at most. So once again who are the new roads for?

But you haven't defined what's encapsulated by any of those terms when you said "It has increased by 50%since we last increased capacity across the corrib"

What's "it"?
    50% of what?
    What does a 50% increase signify?
    What population? City? County? Transient? Other?
    County boundary? City boundary? Commuter distance boundary? Other?
    Density in terms of housing, people, commuters, other?

If this is so obvious, why do you keep avoiding giving any clarification? Explain to us thickos down the back :pac:

Contact the CSO they do the figures. I'm sure they'll tell you the details behind the figures

McGiver wrote: »
    Let's say you are right and the density increased by 50% from 28 to 42/sq km (which is the density of Co Galway in 2016).
    It's still abysmally low by any standards. And that includes Galway City and its growth. Now back to Galway West (population ~31,000, area ~2000 sq km), the density is extremely low, my estimate is 15 to 20/km at most. So once again who are the new roads for?

You keep bringing up the population density of West Galway and for the last time. This has never been used as a reason to build the road, so using it as a reason not to build the road is irrelevant. This is your continued default position and its nonsense.

Contact the CSO they do the figures. I'm sure they'll tell you the details behind the figures
    You can just admit that you don't know. There's no shame in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A double decker bus broke down on Eglinton Street yesterday around 1:30, and the stupidly illicitly parked cars caused severe restrictions and logjam

A councillor mentioned that Transport Infrastructure Ireland have given permission for a QB cross-city bus service, but Bus Eireann rejected it as more people wanted to go to Eyre Square to connect & it's only 50 metres longer than QB route

Any one any more info on this?

zell12 wrote: »
    A councillor mentioned that Transport Infrastructure Ireland have given permission for a QB cross-city bus service, but Bus Eireann rejected it as more people wanted to go to Eyre Square to connect & it's only 50 metres longer than QB route

Any one any more info on this?
    Had not heard this, I do know City Direct wanted to provide this service a number of years back just for PEAK times - TII turned them down. i.e (KnocknaCarra -> Parkmore) TII turned them down as they said that they had to provide a full day timetable.

• Advertisement

Had not heard this, I do know City Direct wanted to provide this service a number of years back just for PEAK times - TII turned them down. i.e (KnocknaCarra -> Parkmore) TII turned them down as they said that they had to provide a full day timetable.
    The bus would be crawling at peak times! Not sure if there is a demand for it otherwise - witness the private UCHG-MerlinPark service which takes different routes depending on traffic jams.
    It was mentioned in there somewhere, good luck finding it - I think it was Keane or Lyons who mentioned it
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/podcasts/citywest/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A bus lane the whole way would be great, would evaporate the bypass plan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

zell12 wrote: »
    A double decker bus broke down on Eglinton Street yesterday around 1:30, and the stupidly illicitly parked cars caused severe restrictions and logjam

Zell12 .... I'm constantly on about the abandonment of vecihcles on that street.
    Especially at the weekends , no enforcement whatsoever .
    Imagine that happening in the city center of Dublin??
    It wouldn't be tolerated .
    Galway city is a country village trying to operate as a city .
    Same thing goes on along foster street .
    City council / gardai / traffic wardens are a joke in galway .
    Election tomorrow ... And it won't change a thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Zell12 .... I'm constantly on about the abandonment of vecihcles on that street.
    Especially at the weekends , no enforcement whatsoever .
    Imagine that happening in the city center of Dublin??
    It wouldn't be tolerated .
    Galway city is a country village trying to operate as a city .
    Same thing goes on along foster street .
    City council / gardai / traffic wardens are a joke in galway .
    Election tomorrow ... And it won't change a thing .

To be fair, there's no enforcement in Dublin either, the culture is different though. People shout at you and pull their phones out and film you when you do stupid things.

You can just admit that you don't know. There's no shame in it.

:rolleyes:

cgcsb wrote: »
    To be fair, there's no enforcement in Dublin either, the culture is different though. People shout at you and pull their phones out and film you when you do stupid things.

Cgcsb..... There is no way , you could park your car , on for example O'Connell street ,and return a couple of hours later to find it either still there or not clamped .
    Galway needs to wake up and keep certain roads clear of parked vecihcles to allow buses / Lorries / cars to pass tru without having to suffer what happened in eglinton street yesterday .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s no doubt about it but Galway is an absolute fcukin disaster of a place for traffic.
    1000 sets of bastad traffic lights and no need for half the fcukers.
    Throw in a small drop of rain then and the whole fcukin lot stands still.
    An absolute fcuk of a place

There’s no doubt about it but Galway is an absolute fcukin disaster of a place for traffic.
    1000 sets of bastad traffic lights and no need for half the fcukers.
    Throw in a small drop of rain then and the whole fcukin lot stands still.
    An absolute fcuk of a place

Let me guess .... Today was a disaster of a day regarding traffic ??
    When your constantly driving in galway city there are certain times to avode it if possible .
    It needs a one way sytem brought in Asap.
    One way inbound Lough atalia
    One way outbound college road
    One way inbound bohermore
    One way outbound headford road
    Bus lanes all along each of these roads .
    CCTV operated especially during rush hours on traffic lights around the city.
    Pedestrian lights to be replaced by " crossing zones"
    With proper signage/ lighting at these zones .
    Forget a by pass in 8 to 10 years .
    Galway needs changes TODAY !!!!

Let me guess .... Today was a disaster of a day regarding traffic ??
    When your constantly driving in galway city there are certain times to avode it if possible .
    It needs a one way sytem brought in Asap.
    One way inbound Lough atalia
    One way outbound college road
    One way inbound bohermore
    One way outbound headford road
    Bus lanes all along each of these roads .
    CCTV operated especially during rush hours on traffic lights around the city.
    Pedestrian lights to be replaced by " crossing zones"
    With proper signage/ lighting at these zones .
    Forget a by pass in 8 to 10 years .
    Galway needs changes TODAY !!!!

Please stop this one way systems stuff. One way systems are an absolute disaster, making big long needless journeys on people around the city when two way is perfectly fine.

I agree on pedestrian lights though get rid, half the time they give a green man with no one there or when the person has crossed.

If only we could go back in time and stop them replacing the roundabout with all these ridiculous traffic light junctions city traffic would be so much better.

The biggest immediate change that would improve Galway traffic for everyone is a joint effort by all major employers and schools to stagger start/finish times. Galways traffic is really only at its worst for an hour or so in the morning and evening. As I’ve said before I don’t leave home in the county until 9am in the morning, by the time I hit the city it’s about 9:20 and I have no issue crossing the city to work, in the evening I don’t leave work until around 6:30 or later and again have no traffic issues. Aside from the odd morning of a crash my 30km commute from the county into and across the city rarely takes more than 30 - 35 mins and I regularly get home in 25-30 mins in the evening.

• Advertisement

Are you for real ???
    Traffic is only busy for an hour in the morning and the evening???
    I've read some crazy posts regarding galway traffic but congrats that now number one .
    You obviously don't be driving around galway city at the times I do .
    By your posts your not leaving home until 9am and not leaving work until 6.30 ??
    Try driving around galway between 7.45 am to 9.30 am and 4pm to 7pm .
    Come back to me when you have .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement