Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

blame de car. the left greens final solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah yes, because something else is clogging up the roads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

?

What, in your opinion is causing heavy vehicular traffic and tailbacks in Galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ?

What, in your opinion is causing heavy vehicular traffic and tailbacks in Galway city?

Too many junctions with traffic lights and roundabouts.
    The main traffic flow should be able to just flow, with either an under or overpass for the crossroad.

The sea and the river are also big obstacles to designing a free-flowing traffic system.

Rodin wrote: »
    Too many junctions with traffic lights and roundabouts.
    The main traffic flow should be able to just flow, with either an under or overpass for the crossroad.

The sea and the river are also big obstacles to designing a free-flowing traffic system.

All wrong. It's cars that cause the traffic delays.

It's not the seas fault, or the rivers fault!

The junctions, roundabouts and traffic lights are there to facilitate traffic, without them motorists would just drive in to each other.

• Advertisement

All wrong. It's cars that cause the traffic delays.

It's not the seas fault, or the rivers fault!

The junctions, roundabouts and traffic lights are there to facilitate traffic, without them motorists would just drive in to each other.

Cars can cross each other without needing junctions. One road simply runs over or under the other.

The problem is it's a medieval city with narrow streets and poor town planning to the north and north east of the centre. The geography limits efforts to restructure the road network.
    I avoid Galway like the plague.

Many unbombed Medieval cities struggle with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

what will traffic be like passing through Galway this evening about 5:45? I'll be coming in from the Dublin side going to the Moycullen end.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Cars can cross each other without needing junctions. One road simply runs over or under the other.

The problem is it's a medieval city with narrow streets and poor town planning to the north and north east of the centre. The geography limits efforts to restructure the road network.

When the Headford Road junction was replaced, they should have crossed the Sean Mulvoy road out over the Headford Road - straight over the bridge.

The crossing at JJ Fleming should be a flyover also - would release the traffic out of town in the evenings to the Tuam and Dublin Roads

These and the long overdue bypass would make significant improvements.

However, flyovers are aesthetically unwanted and these things never get passed ABP.

As said, Galway city is too small and narrow and really there is only one way in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

galwayllm wrote: »
    what will traffic be like passing through Galway this evening about 5:45? I'll be coming in from the Dublin side going to the Moycullen end.

Traffic crossing the city on a wet Friday evening is harder to predict than the lotto.

The only saving grace might be the Bank holiday weekend and people might be an hour earlier leaving the city. I'd rather 5.45pm than 4.45pm.

Over the bridge is still your best route if you can get down to Menlo Park ok.

Cars can cross each other without needing junctions. One road simply runs over or under the other

Easy to suggest on an internet forum, not so easily engineered in a small, populated Irish city I'm afraid.

Now you’re seeing the light! Cities aren’t for cars, they’re for people.

Cracking city, your loss.

Many medieval cities don’t and shouldn’t accommodate cars.

• Advertisement

Easy to suggest on an internet forum, not so easily engineered in a small, populated Irish city I'm afraid.

Many medieval cities have better weather than Galway and people will walk. Rarely stops raining in Galway and many Irish people like to be cosy and lazy. Wouldn't walk the length of themselves or put themselves in any discomfort.
    I park 15mins walk from work. To drive all the way would take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just came from Newcastle to the East Side and every road is choked with traffic going in all directions that I could see, Sean Mulvoy road both sides full, Bridge same way ,Tuam Road both ways choked, bloody nightmare it will be worse this evening as it has been for the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We are all in agreement. Build the bypass and remove the traffic from the town

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Traffic crossing the city on a wet Friday evening is harder to predict than the lotto.

The only saving grace might be the Bank holiday weekend and people might be an hour earlier leaving the city. I'd rather 5.45pm than 4.45pm.

Over the bridge is still your best route if you can get down to Menlo Park ok.

Ah Galway traffic, it's been a while since I've had to deal with it. I must admit when I moved it was great to live in a place without such issues.

Ya I was taking of taking the N6 all the way in. And you're dead right the bank holiday might just help.

Thank you.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just came from Newcastle to the East Side and every road is choked with traffic going in all directions that I could see, Sean Mulvoy road both sides full, Bridge same way ,Tuam Road both ways choked, bloody nightmare it will be worse this evening as it has been for the past few days.

Maybe just best to wait for an hour and stop for a coffee along for way..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

galwayllm wrote: »

It will be a fresh hell for you Winnie the pooh.a lot will be going against you in outbound but you won’t be able to avoid the paddy Irishman traffic lights that will fcuk up your journey.
    There’s roughly 6 sets between the end of the motorway at kfc to west side each of which will boil your P1ss

Ya I'm just going to wait the extra hour and not get pissed off, I can enjoy a coffee. Thank for the help people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Smooth into the centre on bus along LA Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Personally I don't blame them, I hate having people in the car with me especially people that you only know through work or a house share etc. I like to be able to relax on my commute, listen to what I want to, not have to be making small talk etc.

...but you still complain about traffic congestion.
    The mindset also needs to change to fix traffic problems

Many medieval cities have better weather than Galway and people will walk. Rarely stops raining in Galway and many Irish people like to be cosy and lazy. Wouldn't walk the length of themselves or put themselves in any discomfort.
    I park 15mins walk from work. To drive all the way would take longer.
    Rarely stops raining? Yesterday and today were the first days I haven't cycled to work in approximately ten weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Rarely stops raining? Yesterday and today were the first days I haven't cycled to work in approximately ten weeks.

Yeah, this always raining in Galway thing is possibly the tallest tale anyone tells about the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was cycled to work it was in all weathers and anyone I knew who cycled was the same. Cycling in rain was pleasant actually, even in winter. Do you really not cycle if it’s raining?

Galway is statistically a very rainy part of the country.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    ...but you still complain about traffic congestion.
    The mindset also needs to change to fix traffic problems

I don’t actually complain very much about it because as Ive mentioned in the thread I tailor my commute times to avoid peak traffic, I actually have quite a pleasant commute into and across the city from well out the county.

I do acknowledge there is traffic issues though and top priority should be getting the bypass built to ease this meaning only cars that need to be in the city are in the city and those that need to cross it can stay outside the city. Along with other options like encouraging working from home and staggering school/work start/finish times would make a big difference without tying to impose nonsensical anti-car rules on people going about their business.
    When I was cycled to work it was in all weathers and anyone I knew who cycled was the same. Cycling in rain was pleasant actually, even in winter. Do you really not cycle if it’s raining?

Who likes the rain? I absolutely hate getting wet I wouldn’t walk the 5 min walk to the shop from work if it’s raining I drive it. My current job means I can park at the door of work rather than the 5 minute walk I had from the car park to the office in my previous job and I am very much enjoying the avoiding getting wet completely because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

are you a sadist? nothing worse imo stuck in rain. at least in my metal box i can listen to tom petty and drink coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I don’t actually complain very much about it because as Ive mentioned in the thread I tailor my commute times to avoid peak traffic, I actually have quite a pleasant commute into and across the city from well out the county.

I stand corrected
    I do acknowledge there is traffic issues though and top priority should be getting the bypass built to ease this meaning only cars that need to be in the city are in the city and those that need to cross it can stay outside the city. Along with other options like encouraging working from home and staggering school/work start/finish times would make a big difference without tying to impose nonsensical anti-car rules on people going about their business.

I partly agree with the bypass but urban road building can be slow and expensive.
    More immediate options would be park and ride facilities, etc, which are used in many other places and work very well.
    Who likes the rain? I absolutely hate getting wet I wouldn’t walk the 5 min walk to the shop from work if it’s raining I drive it.

You'd have walked to and from the shop in a fraction of the time taken to drive, find a parking spot, pay the meter etc. It's only water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Afraid of the rain. Yep, let's spend a half billion because some people are afraid of getting wet. The wus factor is getting high on this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Do we have worse weather than Copenhagen?
    It wouldn't take much to establish a similar culture in Galway and would solve a lot of problems.

Jamsiek wrote: »

You'd have walked to and from the shop in a fraction of the time taken to drive, find a parking spot, pay the meter etc. It's only water

Its faster in the car alright 2 mins drive and you can park right outside most petrol stations, deli’s, subway etc that I head to for lunch (parking is free in any nearby place and if I head into town I’ll chance parking for the few mins it takes to grab a takeaway roll/sandwich) but generally unless I’m in a big rush to get something I walk to any of the places within 10 mins walk to get a bit of air once it’s dry, anywhere further than that is always a drive if I fancy somewhere different for lunch.
    jjpep wrote: »
    Afraid of the rain. Yep, let's spend a half billion because some people are afraid of getting wet. The wus factor is getting high on this thread...

Nonsense and you know it, no one is saying a bypass is needed because of rain it’s needed to get traffic around the city that doesn’t need to be there. Rain or no rain cycling is only suitable for a very limited number of people for many different reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

are you a sadist? nothing worse imo stuck in rain. at least in my metal box i can listen to tom petty and drink coffee

Have you seen this one? Check out Prince doing his magic at the end... (3:30)

• Advertisement

It's the strong winds combined with heavy rain I'd avoid as I've no shower facilities at work. Bus gets me in in ten or fifteen minutes so it's handy enough when needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement