Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Removing the lights would allow the main Galway to Dublin Road to flow instead of having lights backed up onto each other. The 3 sets of lights between the crystal factory and doughiska are farcical at best. It’s a jokeshop of a town and the fact that it’s faster to travel to Athlone if you are east Galway says it all.
    How about driving to the speed limit? That section is a 80km road but whenever I go there the traffic goes 65. Why?
    Also, all the three lights are needed - all three are junctions (crossroads and T-junctions) which wouldn't work, hence the lights are there.

John_Rambo wrote:
    What, in your opinion is causing heavy vehicular traffic and tailbacks in Galway city?

Ponies? The Connemara breed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Its faster in the car alright 2 mins drive and you can park right outside most petrol stations, deli’s, subway etc that I head to for lunch (parking is free in any nearby place and if I head into town I’ll chance parking for the few mins it takes to grab a takeaway roll/sandwich) but generally unless I’m in a big rush to get something I walk to any of the places within 10 mins walk to get a bit of air once it’s dry, anywhere further than that is always a drive if I fancy somewhere different for lunch.

You said it's 5 minutes walking and 2 minutes by car, 3 minutes in the difference. Like I said, it's only water ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There should be boats working as water taxis ferrying people from Oranmore and maree across the bay into Galway docks.

4 boats working like a bus service.regular fast and affordable.have a designated parking spot in Oranmore or maree

That’s my solution anyway.the sea there doing nothing.if you were dropped at the docks you could walk anywhere in the city handy enough.

Same on west side with boats in from Spiddal etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

are you a sadist? nothing worse imo stuck in rain. at least in my metal box i can listen to tom petty and drink coffee

No, seriously. Have you never heard people say that they love running in the rain? It’s the same for cycling. You warm up very quickly and once that happens, it’s quite refreshing. I always much preferred cycling to work in winter than in summer. In summer, it was a sweaty endeavour, especially on sunny, warm days. Anyone I know who cycles to work would amused at the idea of being put off by a bit of rain. That’s why I surprised to see someone imply here that they don’t cycle if it’s raining. Does not compute. I could understand non-cyclists thinking nobody would cycle to work in the rain. If they started cycling themselves though, they’d soon realise what a non-issue it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And be soaking wet when you arrive anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And be soaking wet when you arrive anywhere?

I never was. A full year of cycling to work every day in a rainy location and never once was I drenched. Whatever coat or jacket I was wearing would keep me dry. As they tend to do. The only damp bit sometimes would be above the knee on whatever I was wearing on the bottom and that would dry quickly. The bottom half of my legs would never get wet really because of the angle and because they’d be moving so fast. I’d get far more wet when walking.

It wouldn’t occur to a lot of cyclists to not do so because of rain. I cycled in all kinds of weather except if there were very icy conditions. And I’m no outlier. I love being warm and cosy. Cycling in rain or frosty conditions is grand. You’re not cold for very long and you’re moving so fast that you don’t really get wet.
    It's the strong winds combined with heavy rain I'd avoid as I've no shower facilities at work. Bus gets me in in ten or fifteen minutes so it's handy enough when needed.

Fair nuff!

Jamsiek wrote: »
    You said it's 5 minutes walking and 2 minutes by car, 3 minutes in the difference. Like I said, it's only water ;)

I find it exceptionally uncomfortable sitting in work for the afternoon with wet feet or wet clothes, can also make you sick so it’s not “only water”.

Do we have worse weather than Copenhagen?
    It wouldn't take much to establish a similar culture in Galway and would solve a lot of problems.
    I don't think the weather here is as bad as many make out but we do get about twice as much rain as Copenhagen spread over a similar number of days 170 (G) vs 157 (C) on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Jamsiek wrote: »

I find it exceptionally uncomfortable sitting in work for the afternoon with wet feet or wet clothes, can also make you sick so it’s not “only water”.

I think its obvious that you are a person who wants to live in the big house in the countryside and drive the big single occupant vehicle into the city without restriction to access anytime day or night.

As a society we have 10 years to make hard decisions to alter course and serve the long-term interest of the community above the individual.

If we don't take a mature outlook there won't be anything left for future generations. Our great grandkids will most likely look back on us with disgust and wonder how this generation could continue to pursue self-interest to the point of global evironmental destruction.

They will wonder how this generation could, despite warning, chew up the environment and place their very survival in question.

How many more big bungalows are we going to build in the countryside? If every individual has the right to, will there be any countryside left in 40 years?

• Advertisement

It wouldn’t occur to a lot of cyclists to not do so because of rain. I cycled in all kinds of weather except if there were very icy conditions. And I’m no outlier. I love being warm and cosy. Cycling in rain or frosty conditions is grand. You’re not cold for very long and you’re moving so fast that you don’t really get wet.
    Not sure how you do that but I got completely wet many times when not wearing full gear.

With gear it's perfectly fine and you won't get wet at all, maybe except of the face. I use the following gear in rain:
    - Goretex mid shoes (low trim Goretex is useless in rain - the water gets in from the top) OR normal shoes & nylon waterproof gaiters
    - Waterproof over-trousers
    - Waterproof jacket
    - Waterproof gloves
    - Waterproof helmet cover

I don't think the weather here is as bad as many make out but we do get about twice as much rain as Copenhagen spread over a similar number of days 170 (G) vs 157 (C) on average.
    It's true that Galway is hell lot of a rainy place and also very windy. One of the most rainiest places in Europe. Not the most cycling friendly from this perspective, but on the other hand, it's never really hot here (it's equally pain to cycle in hot weather as in rain) and most importantly rarely really cold, snowing or icy.

I think we are being dragged off course here. Sustainable, sensible transport solutions is not about whether or not your granny can slog her way across galway in a winter storm.

The point is we have little or no emphasis on cycling and public transport infrastructure currently. The current plans incude token gestures towards these values.

First we build an infrastructure which supports non car travel. This will resolve a massive % of current traffic problems. Second we build roads as necessary after we have done everything we can to support non-car solutions. This is in line with best practice in every progressive cosmopolitian area on planet earth.

I think its obvious that you are a person who wants to live in the big house in the countryside and drive the big single occupant vehicle into the city without restriction to access anytime day or night.

As a society we have 10 years to make hard decisions to alter course and serve the long-term interest of the community above the individual.

If we don't take a mature outlook there won't be anything left for future generations. Our great grandkids will most likely look back on us with disgust and wonder how this generation could continue to pursue self-interest to the point of global evironmental destruction.

They will wonder how this generation could, despite warning, chew up the environment and place their very survival in question.

How many more big bungalows are we going to build in the countryside? If every individual has the right to, will there be any countryside left in 40 years?

Sensationalist nonsense.

We can do what ever the hell we want and it won’t make a blind but of difference to our grandkids.

I for one will be putting some nice cars in storage so future generations of my family won’t have to drive only electric muck.

I for one will be putting some nice cars in storage so future generations of my family won’t have to drive only electric muck.

You’re going off topic but this “electric muck” you call it is the future as gas cars are being phased out. It’s likely your cars in storage could be useless for your grandkids. You might as well keep a fax machine.

Sensationalist nonsense.

We can do what ever the hell we want and it won’t make a blind but of difference to our grandkids.

Theres not much one can say here. Even if you believe climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the chinese there is a moral obligation to leave a place in better condition than you found it.

Why shouldn't our descensants be entitled to live in a pollutant free planet? On our current trajectory they will be born into a garbage tip.

You seem locked in on the extreme end of the climate change denial argument. You believe your actions have little or no consequence. It is for the rest of us to find ways to move forward. We can't be held back by the nihilistic amongst us.

I think we are being dragged off course here. Sustainable, sensible transport solutions is not about whether or not your granny can slog her way across galway in a winter storm.
    That's true but I think we were reacting to the following logic:
    It rains all the time - hence cycling is not a viable transport mode - hence we don't need more cycling infrastructure - hence build more roads.

This then increases car dependency and you are stuck in a loop where public and sustainable transport cannot develop.

Jamsiek wrote:
    You’re going off topic but this “electric muck†you call it is the future as gas cars are being phased out. It’s likely your cars in storage could be useless for your grandkids. You might as well keep a fax machine.

He's most likely never driven one and knows nothing about the tech. It's sad but as per my observation it's a common way of thinking around this corner of Ireland - a mixture of mocking attitude, ignorance and prejudice to generally any sort of change or new tech. Couple that with a culture of submitting objections to any development and you're where you are.

And this way of thinking then influences the governance - development of the city and public transport. First of all, the local politicians may have the same mindset and secondly they represent electorate with such a mindset. It will be hard to change this I'm afraid.

Theres not much one can say here. Even if you believe climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the chinese there is a moral obligation to leave a place in better condition than you found it.
    Funnily enough, as for the electric "muck". The Chinese are leaders in electric mobility by the way. 55% market share of electric vehicles, many public transport systems use electric buses, there are dozens of Chinese electric car makers, there are several electric bus manufacturers etc.

McGiver wrote: »
    He's most likely never driven one and knows nothing about the tech. It's sad but as per my observation it's a common way of thinking around this corner of Ireland - a mixture of mocking attitude, ignorance and prejudice to generally any sort of change or new tech. Couple that with a culture of submitting objections to any development and you're where you are.

And this way of thinking then influences the governance - development of the city and public transport. First of all, the local politicians may have the same mindset and secondly they represent electorate with such a mindset. It will be hard to change this I'm afraid.

Agreed. I believe the answer to this is education and there seems to be just as many ignorant politicians as every other profession. I think it’s inevitable that the penny will drop eventually when they see changes happening elsewhere

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Jamsiek wrote:
    You’re going off topic but this “electric muck†you call it is the future as gas cars are being phased out. It’s likely your cars in storage could be useless for your grandkids. You might as well keep a fax machine.

Looking around the country last week the quality of candidates is generally poor. My home ballot had 2 builders, 2 auctioneers, 2 farmers and a few indpendents. We ain't going to change course by voting in people who have a personal vested interest in wrecking the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Looking around the country last week the quality of candidates is generally poor. My home ballot had 2 builders, 2 auctioneers, 2 farmers and a few indpendents. We ain't going to change course by voting in people who have a personal vested interest in wrecking the gaff.

I couldn't get over how many of the same old heads got re-elected last week
    Same people who've done nothing to improve this city in the last twenty years.
    We needed younger, more vibrant members who will knuckle down and work together to solve our city's problems.
    But we elected same people who will spend more time getting a crack in the footpath outside someones house fixed than they will fixing the city's infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

... But we elected same people who will spend more time getting a crack in the footpath outside someones house fixed than they will fixing the city's infrastructure.
    We want them to represent us!
    The PR-STV system is one of the fairest voting systems, so no excuses.

Why shouldn't our descensants be entitled to live in a pollutant free planet? On our current trajectory they will be born into a garbage tip.

You seem locked in on the extreme end of the climate change denial argument. You believe your actions have little or no consequence. It is for the rest of us to find ways to move forward. We can't be held back by the nihilistic amongst us.

I didn’t deny there was climate change I said it makes zero difference what we in Ireland do and costing ourselves money and going through hardship to p*ss into the wind is not something I’ve any interest in doing.

We can do what ever we like in Ireland and it will make zero difference to anything. When the world starts converting all goal, oil and gas electricity production to nuclear then they will actually be making an effort not taking nonsense about cars and cows.

I didn’t deny there was climate change I said it makes zero difference what we in Ireland do and costing ourselves money and going through hardship to p*ss into the wind is not something I’ve any interest in doing.

We can do what ever we like in Ireland and it will make zero difference to anything. When the world starts converting all goal, oil and gas electricity production to nuclear then they will actually be making an effort not taking nonsense about cars and cows.

So to paraphrase..."Climate change is a threat to the survival of the species, but we can't do anything about it, change would be difficult, why should we bother?".

Don't mind if the rest of is crack on with the work that need to be done, do you?

As individuals and as country we are personally and collectively responsible for how we act.

Even if you put the climate change to oneside there is a limit to the number of roads we build to facilitate urban sprawl in this small country of ours. Especially, when there are working examples of alternative best practice elsewhere. We don't need to reivent the wheel here. We just fall into line with the more progressive cities and towns worldwide. It would be good for people, good for communities, more efficient from tax perspective, more productive use of peoples time, easier to deliver services and would leave something of the beauty that it is to live on the west coast of Ireland. It's deeply unfair to just concrete the landscape and deny this to future generations.

I've always thought we are a nation that hasn't quite cast off the yoke. It is time for us to grow up and act responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Johnny_BravoIII banned from thread
    All, drop the offtopic please, this thread is about Galway city only and local traffic problems only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭spurshero

<offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What do ye make of the idea of water taxis.
    Is Galway bay the solution to taking cars off the road.
    Huge expense involved with boats and car parks.
    Private company or government backed etc.
    What do ye reckon.
    Wasn’t there a water taxi last year from ballyvaughan to Galway docks.
    Did anyone know of anyone using it

What do ye make of the idea of water taxis.
    Is Galway bay the solution to taking cars off the road.
    Huge expense involved with boats and car parks.
    Private company or government backed etc.
    What do ye reckon.
    Wasn’t there a water taxi last year from ballyvaughan to Galway docks.
    Did anyone know of anyone using it

It’s a great idea and one that’s underused in Ireland. In Vancouver where I’m based it’s used a lot. Nice change from road travelling too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

<offtopic>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement