Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

In fairness, I'm not sure how it's possible to go from a RAB to a 4 arm signalised junction without inconveniencing all junction users during the transformation process

It's not the construction part I'm worried about. But, yes for me on a bike or driving I'd take a junction ahead of a roundabout any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is this announcement different to the last time they announced this development?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Thank god for that .
    Get the rest of them out Asap.
    In there place CCTV monitored at rush hours traffic lights .
    Wait until this Sunday , Connacht final in pearse stadium.
    It will be carnage .
    Traffic lights left on their normal sequence even tho hundreds of extra vecihcles going to event in salthill .
    Where else but galway would you get this bull****.

Yes roundabouts clog up , no good anymore at big junctions unless lights on them

If there is one thing the new Mayor and council should focus on imho its Park and ride and bus links to town and workplaces
    There has to be a major push to encourage people to use PT and the likes of Galway Airport, NUIG, and satellite car parks on main routes to city ( ie [pick a location on each of Tuam Road /Claregalway, Headford Rd, and Oranmore )could and should be used and linked to a frequent bus service into town /( and Salthill for big games for eg. Could even make one road in Bus Only eg Monivea Road and College road ?

Is there such a plan for this Sun?

Thank god for that .
    Get the rest of them out Asap.
    In there place CCTV monitored at rush hours traffic lights .
    Wait until this Sunday , Connacht final in pearse stadium.
    It will be carnage .
    Traffic lights left on their normal sequence even tho hundreds of extra vecihcles going to event in salthill .
    Where else but galway would you get this bull****.

No no no, getting rid of roundabouts is why our traffic has got so add. Not one roundabout should have been removed, they are far far better for traffic flow than lights as they automatically do what you want the cctv monitoring to do, give priority to the busier junction.

The biggest disaster in the history of Galway roads was getting rid of roundabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

No no no, getting rid of roundabouts is why our traffic has got so add. Not one roundabout should have been removed, they are far far better for traffic flow than lights as they automatically do what you want the cctv monitoring to do, give priority to the busier junction.

The biggest disaster in the history of Galway roads was getting rid of roundabouts.

Whats the data on traffic volumes and throughputs on junctions with/without roundabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Source?

As a pedestrian I have entirely the opposite perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Roundabouts are grand until traffic gets busy, and then they're a disaster because they end up jammed and then blocking all routes.

They're also hostile to pedestrians and cyclists.

For a busy city like Galway, junctions are clearly a better choice.

Source?

My own experience of driving into and out of Galway almost every day for many years and that of the countless people who express the same opinion.Traffic flowed far better at all times with roundabouts. Most people have the exact same opinion and you will regularly hear people complaining about the roundabouts.

The discussion is how best to make traffic flow, pedestrians etc shouldn’t be dictating junctions especially on the outskirts of the city where they are used minimally by pedestrians and massively by cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Drivers in Galway cannot use roundabouts safely so each one being taken away can only be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Source?

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm

Studies by Kansas State University measured traffic flow at intersections before and after conversion to roundabouts. In each case, installing a roundabout led to a 20 percent reduction in delays. Additional studies by the IIHS of intersections in three states, including Washington, found that roundabouts contributed to an 89 percent reduction in delays and 56 percent reduction in vehicle stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

youngrun wrote: »
    Yes roundabouts clog up , no good anymore at big junctions unless lights on them

If there is one thing the new Mayor and council should focus on imho its Park and ride and bus links to town and workplaces
    There has to be a major push to encourage people to use PT and the likes of Galway Airport, NUIG, and satellite car parks on main routes to city ( ie [pick a location on each of Tuam Road /Claregalway, Headford Rd, and Oranmore )could and should be used and linked to a frequent bus service into town /( and Salthill for big games for eg. Could even make one road in Bus Only eg Monivea Road and College road ?

Is there such a plan for this Sun?
    Youngrun.... Plan for Sunday ???
    Plan for an event in galway ???
    The plan for galway is get the people here to spend their money.
    Doesn't matter what happens when they get here just get them here.
    I was talking to a woman who worked in city hall.
    She was known as the woman that brought up the dirty word at meetings.
    The word was ...TRAFFIC
    She was told " our job is to get people here to spend their money so businesses can pay their rates so we get our salaries.
    She left city hall ... Couldn't deal with the bull**** .

Nox001... Your clueless .
    You said in a previous post that you work certain hours.
    Leaving work at 6.30pm ???
    Roundabouts work brilliantly in 2 places .
    (1) on paper
    (2) when there's a small flow of traffic coming into them ( salthill)
    Beleive me after over 30 years of driving in this city our only short term hope is getting roundabouts out and CCTV traffic lights in their place.
    Galway traffic needs to be run during rush hours just like air traffic control.
    8 sets of lights from galway clinic to huntsman junction and all on different sequences.
    What's needed is a " green wave " of traffic lights .
    In other words " flush the traffic out "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Just look at the Browne RA behind hospital. It's a disaster. Dangerous for pedestrians. Mayhem. And that's a small, rather tight one. Look at the RA at Seapoint. Cars parked up to exit point. Ridiculous. Can't recall if there is a pedestrian crossing there even? Just tweak some junctions e.g. filter left turn over QB coming from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

My own experience of driving into and out of Galway almost every day for many years and that of the countless people who express the same opinion.Traffic flowed far better at all times with roundabouts. Most people have the exact same opinion and you will regularly hear people complaining about the roundabouts.
    That's called anecdotal evidence.

Roundabouts with nothing lights (and no lane markings!) are good for town level of traffic but not for cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

roundabouts look great on a traffic planners design page, but in reality are usually a receipt for disaster in an Irish context, particularly where you have very heavy traffic congestion. People cannot use them correctly at the best of times, so you have cars in the wrong lanes. Also people insist on clogging up the throughput of a roundabout, even when it's been marked wit h a yellow box. It's all about me and my car getting from A to B without a jot of consideration for other people, this is what screws up roundabouts.,

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    roundabouts look great on a traffic planners design page, but in reality are usually a receipt for disaster in an Irish context, particularly where you have very heavy traffic congestion. People cannot use them correctly at the best of times, so you have cars in the wrong lanes. Also people insist on clogging up the throughput of a roundabout, even when it's been marked wit h a yellow box. It's all about me and my car getting from A to B without a jot of consideration for other people, this is what screws up roundabouts.,

Exactly pinch flat
    Anyone that doesn't see that hasn't a clue about driving.
    Roundabouts in galway work well except for 7.30 am to 9.30 pm
    4pm to 7pm mon to Friday .
    Why is that ???
    Because during rush hours they can't cope with the amount of traffic trying to get onto them and off them.
    Get them all out and do it fast !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Roundabouts work great for people who are aggressive/assertive drivers. Y'know, take whichever lane is moving quicker on the way in and then assume every other driver will anticipate you breaking the rules of the roads and make way so they don't lose their front bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I moved back to Galway after 8 years away. I was living in the US. An interesting observation from me is that Galway doesn't really getting going until at least 9am these days...

There's hardly a sinner in the city centre before 9am.

I've been starting work at 7am. There is no traffic between 6am-7am along the Headford Rd, Prospect Hill, Quinncintennial bridge etc. It's great for me but makes me wonder why the traffic isn't being spread out time wise.

I know the likes of Boston Scientific, Medtronic and Wayfair for example do staggered shifts with some starting later than others but I wonder if looking at where most people are going and then trying to work with employers, schools, colleges etc. to stagger start times could that have a positive impact.

e.g. What if not all secondary schools and primary schools in the city start and finish at the same time. Maybe get the companies in Ballybrit and Briarhill to co-ordinate shift times.

Just an idea.

Personally, I don't see a huge benefit in the bypass. I fear it'll just mean the traffic moving onto the bypass.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I moved back to Galway after 8 years away. I was living in the US. An interesting observation from me is that Galway doesn't really getting going until at least 9am these days...

There's hardly a sinner in the city centre before 9am.

I've been starting work at 7am. There is no traffic between 6am-7am along the Headford Rd, Prospect Hill, Quinncintennial bridge etc. It's great for me but makes me wonder why the traffic isn't being spread out time wise.

I know the likes of Boston Scientific, Medtronic and Wayfair for example do staggered shifts with some starting later than others but I wonder if looking at where most people are going and then trying to work with employers, schools, colleges etc. to stagger start times could that have a positive impact.

e.g. What if not all secondary schools and primary schools in the city start and finish at the same time. Maybe get the companies in Ballybrit and Briarhill to co-ordinate shift times.

Just an idea.

I made this very point earlier in the thread but it was shot down by a few of the anti-car brigade and a person or two who don’t even live on this side of the country as it wouldn’t suit the agenda being pushed. I go the other way to you and generally don’t start work until sometime between. 9:30 and 10am most mornings and similar have no traffic issues anywhere once I’m hitting the city around 9:15am or later.

I disagree on the bypass though, it’s an absolute necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Wompa1 wrote: »
    e.g. What if not all secondary schools and primary schools in the city start and finish at the same time.

A big help would be a return to secondary school students making their own way to school.... there shouldn't be the massive difference that there is in traffic when the schools are on or off. There is no way i'm driving my kids to school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The city centre is not generally where the traffic problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,122 ✭✭✭✭zell12

chock-a-block with pedestrian traffic earlier, everywhere you looked

I come in on the N84 and drive into the City Centre usually. I have come in via the Tuam Rd in and direct N84 to the square. So far no traffic at all.

I was working later today and got to work remote but had an appointment early this morning by GMIT. 7-7:45am no traffic at all, it was great.

There was traffic at 8:45am when I was heading out of town. There was a tailback on the Headford Rd and a steady line of cars on their way in via the N84 which I'm sure would have made the tailback even worse. I did a quick count. All but 5 of the cars I passed had only one occupant.

Bus service through the likes of Ballinrobe and Headford is much better now than it was 15+ years ago in terms of frequency but based on my observations over the last few weeks, they are all missing a trick. They are stopping so much between the larger villages and there's still 3 hours between buses, if you miss one, you may as well call out sick from work of give college a miss.

Is there any grant scheme or something in place to incentivize car pooling? Obviously, we don't have the infrastructure for car pool lanes but there should be something. I also still think plan out the start of schools and college classes around the city. Get the large employers to stagger their start times. Not all of them will be able to do it, if they are providing service for customers during a set time but still worth trying something.

A park and ride down by Bothar an Choiste might be handy too. Free parking and maybe 3 euro per person return and I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I tell ya what will happen. Galway City Council will introduce a congestion charge. Whether or not it will be reduced/eliminated for car pooling cars is debatable ( how would it ne enforced etc). also, I don't understand why Galway airport isn't put to better use. Apart froma few in the flying club and the odd concert, who uses it? Prime location for a park and ride ( even open it to private operators to run a constant loop of shuttle buses. Make an exit on the Oranmore side of the Carnmore junction and split the buses at the motorway end, one going Parkmore into town, one going Remore into town ( whichever ratio suits whatever time best)

dok_golf wrote: »
    I tell ya what will happen. Galway City Council will introduce a congestion charge. Whether or not it will be reduced/eliminated for car pooling cars is debatable ( how would it ne enforced etc). also, I don't understand why Galway airport isn't put to better use. Apart froma few in the flying club and the odd concert, who uses it? Prime location for a park and ride ( even open it to private operators to run a constant loop of shuttle buses. Make an exit on the Oranmore side of the Carnmore junction and split the buses at the motorway end, one going Parkmore into town, one going Remore into town ( whichever ratio suits whatever time best)

Same with the Race Track. People commuting in from the N17 to get into the city could hang a left at the track, park up there and take a bus the rest of the way.

I made this very point earlier in the thread but it was shot down by a few of the anti-car brigade and a person or two who don’t even live on this side of the country as it wouldn’t suit the agenda being pushed. I go the other way to you and generally don’t start work until sometime between. 9:30 and 10am most mornings and similar have no traffic issues anywhere once I’m hitting the city around 9:15am or later.

It's a nonsense. Nowhere in a European city this is being done AFAIK. Also, local government can't control private businesses in this manner, it's non workable.

Note:I have no anti-car agenda. Just anti polluting and anti inefficient transport agenda. I own a car myself but at least it's s zero emission one.

dok_golf wrote:

Agree but what about the West Side. This would help only the east side, specifically commuters from the east going into the east side bison parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

dok_golf wrote: »

This very thing was trialed years ago, airport was opened to a private operator to run regular buses into town. Parking was free but you just had to pay for the bus. It didn't go well, most days there were only a hand full of cars parked there, the scheme was very quickly called off and never spoken of again.

https://connachttribune.ie/unsustainable-park-ride-catering-for-20-cars-a-day/

I do think a heavily subsidised scheme could work like what is run in the race course during the christmas season. For a service to work it has to be fast and it has to be cheap. Only since the shuttle bus in Oranmore dropped the fare to city prices, it's the only way I make my way into the city anymore. It's brilliant, a bus every 30 mins for less than the cost of a cup of tea and quicker than the car at most hours of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

A public consultation survey on the Western Rail corridor which would join the lines at Claremorris-Tuam-Athenry. Have your say whether positive or negative.

https://emea.focusvision.com/survey/selfserve/214c/190513

Personally think it would be a great addition to the West. Could get the train from Galway all the way through to Westport and serviced towns. Also providing link ups to Dublin and other lines.

• Advertisement

I found the traffic :)

I had to go to Dublin last week. Around 8:15am the traffic coming in from Oranmore was terrible. I may need to rethink my ideas of moving somewhere South of the city.

It's kind of a trend but also looking at the Train timetables from Athenry and Oranmore, the service is pretty regular but is constantly sold out during a couple of the slots in the morning and a couple in the evening. Majority of commuters travel at the same time.

Have to wonder what will happen when that traffics gets pushed onto a bypass. How many lanes will the bypass have, presumably more than the motorway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement