Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

There is yes.

Can we not see the responses here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Can we not see the responses here?

Go for it
    http://www.pleanala.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

I have been on that and cannot find the specific entry for this project as it is very difficult to search. I presume seeing as you knew about it that you have the specific link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Traffic was ridiculous today, to the point of it being dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The schitzo weather occasional dumping buckets aren't helping. The amount of water sitting atop the N6 between Ballybrit and Parkmore was worrisome. Getting back was slow as someone broke down in the middle lane of the the Tuam Rd junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's that time of year in galway for the " perfect storm" regarding traffic in galway.
    Horrendous weather / tourists unable to do tours so staying around city instead / kids soon going back to school so parents getting books and uniforms/ university/ college soon back so students in galway looking for accomadition.

It happens same time every year in galway .
    What made it shocking today is the cat weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wednesday 21st was completely ridiculous, Salthill bus service went completely sh1te. I was going to an information session for evening classes at the GRETB headquarters on the Monivea Road which started at 6 PM. Got down nice and early at the terminus on Dr Mannix Road at 4.50 pm for the 5 401 bus, no bus showed up, so I waited for the 5.20 which didn't show up either. I chanced the 5.40 thinking yeah might make it for 6.10. Not a fcuking hope, we eventually got to Eyre Square at 6.45 where there was a ginormous crowd waiting to board the bus as you could imagine. I just jumped off, I seen no point as would have probably landed up there at 7.30 or 8, had to phone the coordinators saying I couldn't make it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Bodhrandude..... Bus eireann cannot keep to a timetable .
    Token gestures of bus lanes is no good .
    Buses constantly stuck in traffic around city center / university road / bohermore / tuam road etc etc because there are no bus lanes on a lot of the roads around galway .
    They need to turn Lough atalia in one way ,
    College road one way , bohermore one way , headford road one way from courthouse to tesco lights , all of that could than facilitate a bus lane.
    They can't put bus lanes in a lot of galway roads because they are to narrow .
    This city is now beyond a joke regarding the idiots in city hall that sit on their hands and aren't doing a thing to sort galway traffic out .
    They haven't the foresight to see what's required.
    Get all roundabouts out.
    Put a proper CCTV traffic light system in.
    It needs to be run at rush hours like air traffic control .
    Flush the traffic out in the evenings.
    The same roads / junctions causing the same problems at the same time .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Buses constantly stuck in traffic around city center / university road / bohermore / tuam road etc etc because there are no bus lanes on a lot of the roads around galway .
    They need to turn Lough atalia in one way ,
    College road one way , bohermore one way , headford road one way from courthouse to tesco lights , all of that could than facilitate a bus lane.
    They can't put bus lanes in a lot of galway roads because they are to narrow .
    This city is now beyond a joke regarding the idiots in city hall that sit on their hands and aren't doing a thing to sort galway traffic out .
    They haven't the foresight to see what's required.
    Get all roundabouts out.
    Put a proper CCTV traffic light system in.
    It needs to be run at rush hours like air traffic control .
    Flush the traffic out in the evenings.
    The same roads / junctions causing the same problems at the same time .
    Not sure Headford road is a good idea if I'm honest, at least not all the way to the lights. Maybe as far as the dyke road crossroads. It'd actually make getting in and out of the Lidl and Aldi (as well as the cinema and everything else along in those estates) a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wednesday 21st was completely ridiculous, Salthill bus service went completely sh1te. I was going to an information session for evening classes at the GRETB headquarters on the Monivea Road which started at 6 PM. Got down nice and early at the terminus on Dr Mannix Road at 4.50 pm for the 5 401 bus, no bus showed up, so I waited for the 5.20 which didn't show up either. I chanced the 5.40 thinking yeah might make it for 6.10. Not a fcuking hope, we eventually got to Eyre Square at 6.45 where there was a ginormous crowd waiting to board the bus as you could imagine. I just jumped off, I seen no point as would have probably landed up there at 7.30 or 8, had to phone the coordinators saying I couldn't make it.
    If you'd used the Real time app for buses that may have helped and you could have made alternative arrangements, possibly. Very handy app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

(Thought I'd do a post to get notifications.)

Both my sons disregard Bus Eireann when taking bus to get into the city along the N17, as they tell me they are completely unreliable. They always take Burke's bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

It's that time of year in galway for the " perfect storm" regarding traffic in galway.
    Horrendous weather / tourists unable to do tours so staying around city instead / kids soon going back to school so parents getting books and uniforms/ university/ college soon back so students in galway looking for accomadition.

It happens same time every year in galway .
    What made it shocking today is the cat weather .
    You post a lot of rather detailed criticisms, which I welcome as I believe neither fatalism or optimism leads nowhere i.e. the local stereotypical "ah it will be grand" or "ah sure look it we are where we are".
    But what solution do you propose? And how we will make it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

If you'd used the Real time app for buses that may have helped and you could have made alternative arrangements, possibly. Very handy app.
    In fairness, nowhere else you need shíte like this. Elsewhere buses are on time and/or info panels show it for ya correctly. It's ridiculous people in Galway need an app....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I know Galway quite well but not well enough to remember the road layouts, is there any inner or outer orbital route systems in place at all? People have mentioned putting in one way systems etc, is there any provisions for this at all?

Has anything actually been done to try take traffic away from the city centre?

When was the last bus lane construction/modification done in Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    In fairness, nowhere else you need shíte like this. Elsewhere buses are on time and/or info panels show it for ya correctly. It's ridiculous people in Galway need an app....

The app can be viewed at your house, or anywhere.

The panels can only be viewed at the bus stop.

They both show the same information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm far from a fan of Galways traffic or transport system, but the app is an excellent way of planning your journey. My daughter and her friends use it, rather than the wait at the bus stop.

And....Ridiculous people?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That real time app is not so real. I was also using it the last few evenings and both evenings it tells me that a bus is 5 mins away, and then stays on 5 mins for about 15 and eventually just disappears. Next bus is in 34 mins time....happens every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

FitzShane wrote: »
    That real time app is not so real. I was also using it the last few evenings and both evenings it tells me that a bus is 5 mins away, and then stays on 5 mins for about 15 and eventually just disappears. Next bus is in 34 mins time....happens every other day.
    That's weird. I have found it quite good recently (been using the bus a few times a week at least). I did have some issues with disappearing buses in the past though. And you need to get there a little bit early as sometimes it arrives (and departs) before it's supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Got to say I use the app and I find it very reliable in the Westside of the City, I do go a few minutes early to the stop and in fairness with the s...e traffic problems its very hard to maintain an on time arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

RBoO1wAhttps://imgur.com/RBoO1wA

I use a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system each day in the Netherlands. Never was a fan of the idea when they were voiced as an option for Galway in the past, but seeing it now it is fantastic. It's on it's dedicated road for the vast majority of it's route and when it needs to go into streets, they make the street one way and give the other lanes to the BRT. They have buses arriving every 3 minutes and they don't get stuck in traffic and have priority at every junction. It basically works just like a tram system but has greater flexibility and cheaper. I know it would be long enough term solution but I think Galway needs something like this to attract people to use buses en masse.

You post a lot of rather detailed criticisms, which I welcome as I believe neither fatalism or optimism leads nowhere i.e. the local stereotypical "ah it will be grand" or "ah sure look it we are where we are".
    But what solution do you propose? And how we will make it happen?

McGiver... I'm constantly on galway traffic forums .
    I'm from the city , have driven in it for 35 years .
    I know every inch of it . I drive in the city every single day for my job.
    Here is what's needed to be done :
    (1) put someone in charge of galway city traffic that knows what they're at .
    (2) replace all city roundabouts with CCTV operated traffic lights .
    (3) one way system in Lough atalia / out college road / in bohermore out headford road from courthouse to tesco lights
    (4) after doing above put bus lanes on those roads
    (5) zero tolerance from gardai/ traffic wardens regarding cars parked along foster street/ eglinton street and other main arteries.
    (6) one way system on mill street / Henry street / Dominic street .
    (7) all city deliveries to be finished by 11am .

McGiver... I'm constantly on galway traffic forums .
    I'm from the city , have driven in it for 35 years .
    I know every inch of it . I drive in the city every single day for my job.
    Here is what's needed to be done :
    (1) put someone in charge of galway city traffic that knows what they're at .
    (2) replace all city roundabouts with CCTV operated traffic lights .
    (3) one way system in Lough atalia / out college road / in bohermore out headford road from courthouse to tesco lights
    (4) after doing above put bus lanes on those roads
    (5) zero tolerance from gardai/ traffic wardens regarding cars parked along foster street/ eglinton street and other main arteries.
    (6) one way system on mill street / Henry street / Dominic street .
    (7) all city deliveries to be finished by 11am .

The one way systems you suggest are madness, particularly the headford road one it’s a bonkers idea to make that section of road one way absolutely bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Doesn't really matter if it's used elsewhere or not, it's in use here and it can be helpful. It's also a nationwide app not a Galway app.

The one way systems you suggest are madness, particularly the headford road one it’s a bonkers idea to make that section of road one way absolutely bonkers.

The last time they turned lough atalia / college road one way it worked !!!!
    Nox..... You do know the true sign of madness ....to leave things as they are when we know it doesn't work !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

According to the elderly people living there who couldn't get a bus into town anymore, it didn't.

According to the elderly people living there who couldn't get a bus into town anymore, it didn't.

Here we go .... Get a bus from college road ..
    Let it go outbound college road ...
    Turn right at bottom of college road to go inbound along lough atalia /// let it stop at eyre square and continue to salthill .... Happy ???
    Next question

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Here we go .... Get a bus from college road ..
    Let it go outbound college road ...
    Turn right at bottom of college road to go inbound along lough atalia /// let it stop at eyre square and continue to salthill .... Happy ???
    Next question
    Ah, but the last time it was trialled. It was turned into a motor race track

zell12 wrote: »
    Ah, but the last time it was trialled. It was turned into a motor race track

Put speed cameras along the road .
    Put proper signage along the road warning drivers of speeding .
    Issue fines for speeding ..... Next

• Advertisement

Really? All the HGVS from Galway Port had to travel via Fairgreen then out College Road. Oil Tankers, Scrap Metal trucks. Fairgreen road has Ceannt Railway and Bus Eireann Station one side and the Bus Coach Station on the other. Large volumes of pedestrian traffic crossing this road. Another reasons why can never see your proposal happening unless Galway Port status changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement