Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Really? All the HGVS from Galway Port had to travel via Fairgreen then out College Road. Oil Tankers, Scrap Metal trucks. Fairgreen road has Ceannt Railway and Bus Eireann Station one side and the Bus Coach Station on the other. Large volumes of pedestrian traffic crossing this road. Another reasons why can never see your proposal happening unless Galway Port status changes.

And your point is ???
    It's hardly Dublin port we are dealing with .
    There are traffic lights at new bus station .
    If pedestrians and drivers use them correctly there isn't/ won't be an issue .
    All I'm getting is excuses from certain posters about what I've suggested .
    As I've already said .... Let's do it galway style and just stick our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away .
    As I've said many times , galway is a city been managed / operated as a village .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

dave 27 wrote: »
    I know Galway quite well but not well enough to remember the road layouts, is there any inner or outer orbital route systems in place at all? People have mentioned putting in one way systems etc, is there any provisions for this at all?

Has anything actually been done to try take traffic away from the city centre?
    Nope. Cosmetic changes only AFAIK. But Mrs OBumble will confirm, I ain't local.

McGiver wrote: »
    In fairness, nowhere else you need shíte like this. Elsewhere buses are on time and/or info panels show it for ya correctly. It's ridiculous people in Galway need an app....

The app can be viewed at your house, or anywhere.

The panels can only be viewed at the bus stop.

They both show the same information.
    That's not my point. This additional flexibility as you mentioned is common in other public transport systems. If you want it you can have it, but it's not necessary.

My point is that you need it in Galway because a) buses don't follow any timetable whatsoever and b) info panels are many times wrong. Makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

And your point is ???
    It's hardly Dublin port we are dealing with .
    There are traffic lights at new bus station .
    If pedestrians and drivers use them correctly there isn't/ won't be an issue .
    All I'm getting is excuses from certain posters about what I've suggested .
    As I've already said .... Let's do it galway style and just stick our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away .
    As I've said many times , Galway is a city been managed / operated as a village .
    Need to get your head out of the sand on this one Ashleigh1986.
    Mixing HGV's with people who are walking and cycling in this environment is bad news. People will die.
    Since the Dublin port tunnel has opened it has saved countless lives in Dublin City Centre.

The last time they turned lough atalia / college road one way it worked !!!!
    Nox..... You do know the true sign of madness ....to leave things as they are when we know it doesn't work !!!!

It didn’t work it was a disaster and people went mad over it. When you see posters who never agree with me (or vice versa) agreeing with me :) you know you are way way off the mark. It was a massive inconvenience, made no difference to traffic except made people have to drive further to get places and has had been pointed out pushed heavy vehicles through narrow roads with tight junctions in a busy pedestrian area.

The headford road one really takes the biscuit though as while the college road one way was bad at least they run parallel and close together you would have to drive half way around the city to get to places that are very close if you put in a one way system there. You are in dunnes and want to go to lidl, woodies etc or are in woodies etc and want to go to lidl or into wood quay (just some example) you would have to drive for miles. It’s an insane idea thay would never work and will never happen and I have no idea how you think it could work.

One way streets in general are a terrible idea and should never be used except where the street is only one car wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ah Galway. The place where the only thing people moan more about than traffic, is possible changes to traffic. Followed closely by moaning about nobody doing anything

It didn’t work it was a disaster and people went mad over it. When you see posters who never agree with me (or vice versa) agreeing with me :) you know you are way way off the mark.
    One way streets in general are a terrible idea and should never be used except where the street is only one car wide.
    and it has a Contra Flow Cycle Lane. :D

Well I have news for ye .
    The one way sytem inbound on lough atalia , outbound college road is coming back .
    Galway inner city roads at the moment are a disaster ... Why ???
    Because they are expected to be 2 way and for the most part allow on street parking .
    There isn't the space for this to go on as it is .
    Galway needs changes .... And it needs to be done now .

The one way sytem inbound on lough atalia , outbound college road is coming back .
    Do you have link from Galway City Council about this?

Galway inner city roads at the moment are a disaster ... Why ???
    Because they are expected to be 2 way and for the most part allow on street parking .
    There isn't the space for this to go on as it is .
    Galway needs changes .... And it needs to be done now .

There is no parking on Lough athalia or the section of headford road you want made one way so your argument doesn’t tally.

• Advertisement

Btw Limerick City Centre is all one way and bus routes are almost all on bus lanes. Just saying ;) Maybe the GCC will also get it one day... perhaps after they have disgraced themselves with Galway Capital of Culture 2020, when no visitors will be able to get anywhere. That's gonna be international embarrassment.

Except of Limerick of course 8-)
    And Oxford and Cambridge, and...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That motor traffic pandemic on Tuesday was absolutely nuts.
    People parked anywhere and then there was the volume of vehicles.
    Maybe this "school books buying" phenomena is real, as popularised by a Council's director of services some years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Btw Limerick City Centre is all one way and bus routes are almost all on bus lanes. Just saying ;) Maybe the GCC will also get it one day... perhaps after they have disgraced themselves with Galway Capital of Culture 2020, when no visitors will be able to get anywhere. That's gonna be international embarrassment.

Equivalent bits of Galway are already one-way: Market / Lombard, Shop / High / Quay, Middle Streets, Merchant's and Dock Roads, Cross and Abbeygate Streets, east and west ends of Eyre Square and Bothar an big-hill-that-no-one-remembers-the-name-of. Outside that, where there aren't obvious parallel streets with frequent cross-streets to allow for direction changes, it gets trickier to even think about one-way, due to the consequences.

But similarly, in Limerick, Ennis Road ain't one way. Neither is the road by the Hunt museum. Or John St. Or all of Parnell St. Or lots of other main roads.

Equivalent bits of Galway are already one-way: Market / Lombard, Shop / High / Quay, Middle Streets, Merchant's and Dock Roads, Cross and Abbeygate Streets, east and west ends of Eyre Square and Bothar an big-hill-that-no-one-remembers-the-name-of. Outside that, where there aren't obvious parallel streets with frequent cross-streets to allow for direction changes, it gets trickier to even think about one-way, due to the consequences.

But similarly, in Limerick, Ennis Road ain't one way. Neither is the road by the Hunt museum. Or John St. Or all of Parnell St. Or lots of other main roads.
    Cheers, I got this from a Limerick fella who knows situation in both places, probably better.

And what about the bus lanes? ;)

gugsy wrote: »
    Feb 2019. Are the GCC still "planing"? Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cheers, I got this from a Limerick fella who knows situation in both places, probably better.

And what about the bus lanes? ;)

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt: I don't remember lots of them - but it's a few months since I was there last, and they might have installed a bunch of bus lanes since then.

Feb 2019. Are the GCC still "planing"? Clowns.

Remember reading that article back in Feb - seemed to be a fishing exercise from the GTU back then + this was before the local elections as well.

Today will be utter carnage regarding traffic in the city .
    Roadworks at bohermore .
    Working on traffic lights at foster street .
    Horrible wet day .
    Some schools back .
    Recipe for disaster .
    .... Than again what's new in galway

• Advertisement

Today will be utter carnage regarding traffic in the city .........
    Pedestrian traffic having no issues

Today will be utter carnage regarding traffic in the city .
    .... Than again what's new in galway

Whats new. Depends on what kind of traffic you are going to be today.
    Would not like to be Car Traffic today.

Pedestrian traffic will be nuts in shopping centres .

Whats new. Depends on what kind of traffic you are going to be today.
    Would not like to be Car Traffic today.
    username is apt :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Seriously thinking of getting another job outside the city just because of the traffic. Unfortunately I can't use any other form of transport than car. The traffic is probably the most stressful part of the day!!

jk23 wrote: »
    Seriously thinking of getting another job outside the city just because of the traffic. Unfortunately I can't use any other form of transport than car. The traffic is probably the most stressful part of the day!!

What about shift work? I do it and rarely if ever see much traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

What about shift work? I do it and rarely if ever see much traffic

Yes that could be an option. Don't see the issues being resolved anytime soon... More roadworks but nothing to help with traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The clowns over the Galway roads system haven’t a ****in clue!!! All the roundabouts were taken out and now there’s nothing but lights in Galway slowing everything down ...and they don’t work in unison... u get stopped at every light.. prolonging the trip and making a bigger traffic jam!!! The secret of a good traffic system in a city is to get the traffic in and out fast.. In galway... the way the timing is done on the lights... there’s more time given to roads coming into junctions in town than going out of town!!! It’s clear to see why the build ups occur!!

LillySV wrote: »
    All the roundabouts were taken out and now there’s nothing but lights in Galway slowing everything down

There's a far higher throughput on the signalised junctions than the old RAB's

...and they don’t work in unison... u get stopped at every light.. prolonging the trip and making a bigger traffic jam!!! The secret of a good traffic system in a city is to get the traffic in and out fast.. In galway... the way the timing is done on the lights... there’s more time given to roads coming into junctions in town than going out of town!!!

Again, it's about getting the highest throughput at each junction for each arm of the junction
    It’s clear to see why the build ups occur!!

Yes, too many cars for the capacity of the road network

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    The clowns over the Galway roads system haven’t a ****in clue!!! All the roundabouts were taken out and now there’s nothing but lights in Galway slowing everything down ...and they don’t work in unison... u get stopped at every light.. prolonging the trip and making a bigger traffic jam!!! The secret of a good traffic system in a city is to get the traffic in and out fast.. In galway... the way the timing is done on the lights... there’s more time given to roads coming into junctions in town than going out of town!!! It’s clear to see why the build ups occur!!

LillySV..... It hasn't a chance of working until ALL roundabouts are taken out and a properly CCTV controlled traffic light system put in their place .
    You run it like air traffic control.
    Flush it out in the evenings.
    Lights were green at so many junctions yesterday yet there was no place for vecihcles to move forward to .
    No point having lights turned green if you can't move forward .
    Clowns running the whole system .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement