Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Well, if the one way system comes into play, it'll leave space for a drop-off and taxi rank.
    Also, what is this space for at the moment? Looks like a good spot for a joint use taxi rank. Just needs better a better pedestrian crossing point
    https://goo.gl/maps/zBiMPDiw3ugzBc6W6

That is the designed taxi-rank. Unfortunately the drivers have so little respect for the law that they just line up on the double-yellows outside the hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

That is the designed taxi-rank. Unfortunately the drivers have so little respect for the law that they just line up on the double-yellows outside the hostel.
    To be honest I blame a lack of enforcement for that more than anything. If it's not enforced someone is going to do it and if you're the only driver not doing it then you'll lose out. All the drivers would have to do it or none of them will. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any appetite for enforcing road rules though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

donvito99 wrote: »
    The vast majority of motorists are not OAPs and the disabled, they are able bodied and ignorant

...and this epitomises the attitude of the cycling fascists that dominate this and other similar threads here.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    ...and this epitomises the attitude of the cycling fascists that dominate this and other similar threads here.
    Who mentioned cycling :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The vast majority of motorists are not OAPs and the disabled, they are able bodied and ignorant

Cycling fascists, brilliant. I must remember to wear to my brown shirt and jodhpurs cycling in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Does anyone here know if its possible to park your car in the Galway airport carpark during the day?

It would be handy as a park and cycle for anyone who lives to far away from the city to cycle the whole way in.

The only other place that i can think of on the east side that could work as a park and cycle is the oranmore train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

xckjoo wrote: »
    To be honest I blame a lack of enforcement for that more than anything. If it's not enforced someone is going to do it and if you're the only driver not doing it then you'll lose out. All the drivers would have to do it or none of them will. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any appetite for enforcing road rules though.

Uniformed official to horse them on, with power to issue on-the-spot fines. That'd pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

I am an Indian living in Galway for the last 1 year. Just completed my masers and started working in Tuam. The traffic on my way back is just draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

t.singh1 wrote: »
    I am an Indian living in Galway for the last 1 year. Just completed my masers and started working in Tuam. The traffic on my way back is just draining.

Do you travel back via the m17 motorway from Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I like to call them cycling evangelists: they really do genuinely believe that their way is The Way, and struggle to comprehend that not everyone has The Faith.

• Advertisement

Cycling fascists, brilliant. I must remember to wear to my brown shirt and jodhpurs cycling in tomorrow.

In Lycra naturally...

I like to call them cycling evangelists: they really do genuinely believe that their way is The Way, and struggle to comprehend that one everyone has The Faith.
    You guys seem to be the only ones obsessed with cyclists. Shoe-horning them into every conversation about traffic. The majority of posts I see by cyclists are about the lack of infrastructure that leaves them exposed to potential death or serious injury. Fair complaint in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

they are able bodied and ignorant
    cycling fascists
    Both threadbanned until Thursday morning

biko wrote: »
    Both threadbanned until Thursday morning

the vast majority of motorists cyclists are not OAPs and the disabled, they are able bodied and ignorant

Imagine if the sentence above was written. Imagine the furore that would ensue. Someone points it out and they're (me) banned. :rolleyes:

the vast majority of motorists cyclists are not OAPs and the disabled, they are able bodied and ignorant

Imagine if the sentence above was written. Imagine the furore that would ensue. Someone points it out and they're (me) banned. :rolleyes:
    Meh. Doubt many would care. Probably true for the most part :pac:

?Cee?view forum banned for ignoring threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

But it's not just OAPS .... It's everyone that arrives at the train station by train or bus . It's about 100 yards to the bottom of the square add on another 300 if you have to go to the top . Not a pleasant thing to do when it's raining. Train station and new bus station are both a joke regarding dropping off and picking up and not just for taxis .

Exactly. The walk from the station to the Bank at top of square, particularly if you are elderly, is dreadful. The path seems to zig zag all over the place. People bustling along. Dreadfully designed. Uphill. With suitcases! Soul destroying. Could they not facilitate one or two taxis with a system whereby once one taxi goes another enters immediately? The new coach station is well located but as you say the dropping off feature is odd. You cause a build up if you do drop off. Fed up of it.

bobbyss wrote: »
    But it's not just OAPS .... It's everyone that arrives at the train station by train or bus . It's about 100 yards to the bottom of the square add on another 300 if you have to go to the top . Not a pleasant thing to do when it's raining. Train station and new bus station are both a joke regarding dropping off and picking up and not just for taxis .

Exactly. The walk from the station to the Bank at top of square, particularly if you are elderly, is dreadful. The path seems to zig zag all over the place. People bustling along. Dreadfully designed. Uphill. With suitcases! Soul destroying. Could they not facilitate one or two taxis with a system whereby once one taxi goes another enters immediately? The new coach station is well located but as you say the dropping off feature is odd. You cause a build up if you do drop off. Fed up of it.
    Why would they walk to the Bank of Ireland when there's a rank all along Eyre Square and as already pointed out if they've made it that far with luggage they'll make that short distance too. Also no reason for you to cause a build up of traffic unless you or your passengers are incredibly slow. It takes all of ten seconds to get exit a vehicle, retrieve a bag and leave. If you need longer you should use the car park.

Why would they walk to the Bank of Ireland when there's a rank all along Eyre Square and as already pointed out if they've made it that far with luggage they'll make that short distance too. Also no reason for you to cause a build up of traffic unless you or your passengers are incredibly slow. It takes all of ten seconds to get exit a vehicle, retrieve a bag and leave. If you need longer you should use the car park.

I have no idea why they would use the taxis at the bank as oppossed to the rank at Eyre Square. I guess you'd have to ask them. Yeah you are right. Some people are very slow. Perhaps with a disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Ten seconds ????
    You obviously have never picked up 4 elderly people with luggage arriving/ departing from anywhere .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Also .... Sometimes the nearest taxi is at the top of eyre square and not along by o Connells .
    In galways heavy rain it's not a pleasant experience pulling luggage uphill when there's no facilities at your arrival place .

bobbyss wrote: »

I have no idea why they would use the taxis at the bank as oppossed to the rank at Eyre Square. I guess you'd have to ask them. Yeah you are right. Some people are very slow. Perhaps with a disability?
    Well you mentioned it so I assumed you had a point, I mean the walk to the rank on the Monivea Rd is even further!!

Ten seconds ???? You obviously have never picked up 4 elderly people with luggage arriving/ departing from anywhere .

Spot on. Or Taxi drivers chatting after pulling up. Or change being dropped all the place. And especially the disabled and or elderley as you say. Ten seconds!
    Ten seconds me asre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You would think only elderly people visit Galway the way this thread is going!

etxp wrote: »
    You would think only elderly people visit Galway the way this thread is going!
    Don't forget all the thousands of disabled ones too.

I doubt there would be thousands of disabled people using taxis in Galway. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Why would they walk to the Bank of Ireland when there's a rank all along Eyre Square and as already pointed out if they've made it that far with luggage they'll make that short distance too.

XSDNrFul.png

I have to assume when she said bank she meant the AIB right around the corner. If you go out the back door (green dash) it's a pretty short walk no?

Why would they walk to the Bank of Ireland when there's a rank all along Eyre Square and as already pointed out if they've made it that far with luggage they'll make that short distance too.

XSDNrFul.png

I have to assume when she said bank she meant the AIB right around the corner. If you go out the back door (green dash) it's a pretty short walk no?
    The poster clearly said "bank at top of the square" as well as saying it's uphill and the path zig zags all over the place. Your map is another example of how easy it is to get a taxi from the station or within a very short and easy walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Any railway station I've been to in Europe has a longer walk from one end of the train to the other end of the train longer than any walk in Galway coach/railway station to get a taxi. Never mind the walk thru the station concourse to get to the station exits on top of that but yet everybody manages it just fine elsewhere so there really is no need for that useless excuse of a drop off point/ illegal taxi rank outside the coach station. Put in a rank opposite the revenue offices where you have an easy entrance and use the Galmont mini roundabout as exit to keep it flowing.

• Advertisement

There is a separate taxi thread on the front page, yet the last number of posts are all about walking to taxis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement