Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

zell12 wrote: »

From the article:
    The Consultant Engineers have proposed that 40 tonne articulated trucks and through traffic should not have access to the pedestrian zone.
    No wonder the surface keeps sinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would start by stopping through car traffic over the 3 City Centre Bridges (Wolfe Tone, O Brien and Salmon Weir) . Not banning cars from City Centre at all. You just have to drive out the same road you drove in. Delft in Netherlands is a good example. Would free up road space for public transport.

As usual .. a big FU to cuty centre residents.

If I want to come home from Salthill at 1am, there's no earthly reason why my taxi should have to do a huge fare-doubling detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If I want to come home from Salthill at 1am, there's no earthly reason why my taxi should have to do a huge fare-doubling detour.

Taxis not affected

I say as City centre resident - that it is currently a big FU already.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

A little off topic, but still relating to traffic.

https://traffic-simulation.de/onramp.html

If you adjust the lane changing behavior to the worst you have an example of Galway city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Taxis not affected

They should be though, a taxi is private transport, and shouldn't be allowed in bus lanes.

ratracer wrote: »
    They should be though, a taxi is private transport, and shouldn't be allowed in bus lanes.
    Agree.
    Probably should have qualified my last response. Could make these Bus Gates operational from 08h00 --> 20h00 on the bridges (could extend for later hours for special events as well like Race Week etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

What about Private buses, Citylink, GoBus, Feda etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

?Cee?view wrote: »

Am of the view that buses should indeed be allowed in bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

What about the amount of business people that we pick up in the mornings to have to go to meetings .
    Should they be held up in hour long traffic ?
    Also would you want to pay what will be on the meter if we couldn't use bus lanes ?
    We are NOT a private vecihcle .
    We are part of the public transport system.
    That's why we are under the nation transport authority (NTA ) .
    There's a clue in the large green stickers stuck on OUR Vecihcles .
    We own our vecihcles yet the NTA stick green stickers on them ... Why ???
    Because we are a part .... A very important part of getting people to work etc.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/coaches-for-sale/the-unreserved-bus-eacuteireann-auction/23073432
    The solution to someone's problem.
    Parking would be a pain though.

Mr_A wrote: »
    Am of the view that buses should indeed be allowed in bus lanes.

I am the view that we don't have enough of them, last one constructed in Galway City was about 5 years ago I reckon. End of 2013/Start of 2014. Inbound Bus Lane at Headford Road/Terryland. 120/150 meters?

What about the amount of business people that we pick up in the mornings to have to go to meetings .
    Should they be held up in hour long traffic ?
    Also would you want to pay what will be on the meter if we couldn't use bus lanes ?
    We are NOT a private vecihcle .
    We are part of the public transport system.
    That's why we are under the nation transport authority (NTA ) .
    There's a clue in the large green stickers stuck on OUR Vecihcles .
    We own our vecihcles yet the NTA stick green stickers on them ... Why ???
    Because we are a part .... A very important part of getting people to work etc.

‘Business’ people are no different than any other member of the public and the rules of the road treat them the same. I seem to remember big controversy over Michael O’Leary buying a taxi plate to dodge traffic a few years ago, it wasn’t long getting nipped in the bud.
    I agree taxis are part of the transport system, but they are private. Why are taxis allowed use bus lanes but Hackney’s aren’t? Are they not part of the transport system also?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

?Cee?view wrote: »

The public private distinction is irrelevant.

What matters is individual (car, bicycle, motorbike) vz shared (bus, train, some taxis .. though not so common in Ireland)

The public private distinction is irrelevant.

What matters is individual (car, bicycle, motorbike) vz shared (bus, train, some taxis .. though not so common in Ireland)
    Your stretching it now. Better to look at the space the various modes use.

‘Business’ people are no different than any other member of the public and the rules of the road treat them the same. I seem to remember big controversy over Michael O’Leary buying a taxi plate to dodge traffic a few years ago, it wasn’t long getting nipped in the bud.
    I agree taxis are part of the transport system, but they are private. Why are taxis allowed use bus lanes but Hackney’s aren’t? Are they not part of the transport system also?

So you agree taxis are part of the transport system .
    We pay for a Psv licence .
    We do a test for a Psv licence .
    Psv stands for ... Public service vecihcle ....clue is in the name .
    We provide a service for the public .
    If we weren't allowed to use bus lanes the cost of that service would go up hugely .
    Than you would have people giving off about that .
    It's true ... You can't please everyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So you agree taxis are part of the transport system .
    We pay for a Psv licence .
    We do a test for a Psv licence .
    Psv stands for ... Public service vecihcle ....clue is in the name .
    We provide a service for the public .
    If we weren't allowed to use bus lanes the cost of that service would go up hugely .
    Than you would have people giving off about that .
    It's true ... You can't please everyone .

What's the difference between driving my self in to town and me getting a taxi? Zilch.
    Taxi's with one paying customer are essentially single occupant vehicles and shouldn't be treated any differently to other single occupant vehicles. Maybe exceptions for 3-4 passengers, but otherwise, they don't belong in a bus lane.

What's the difference between driving my self in to town and me getting a taxi? Zilch.
    Taxi's with one paying customer are essentially single occupant vehicles and shouldn't be treated any differently to other single occupant vehicles. Maybe exceptions for 3-4 passengers, but otherwise, they don't belong in a bus lane.

It's a service .
    That's the DIFFERANCE .
    Not everyone has a car . Sometimes people need to get somewhere faster than a bike or bus .
    Sometimes people have a lot of luggage that won't fit on a bike or they can't pull all the way down to a bus stop .
    Sometimes the elderly have doctor or hospital appointments and can't get a bus to either .
    It's a service .
    Like any service it comes with a price .
    As I've already said.... If we couldn't use bus lanes fares would be far more expensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It's a service .
    That's the DIFFERANCE .
    Not everyone has a car . Sometimes people need to get somewhere faster than a bike or bus .
    Sometimes people have a lot of luggage that won't fit on a bike or they can't pull all the way down to a bus stop .
    Sometimes the elderly have doctor or hospital appointments and can't get a bus to either .
    It's a service .
    As I've already said.... If we couldn't use bus lanes fares would be far more expensive .

I'd say the taxis do well in Salthill during rush hour to cover up for the unreliable buses sometimes.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What does it matter if a taxi uses a bus lane, there is only one or two routes where it will actually gain you any time.

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    What does it matter if a taxi uses a bus lane, there is only one or two routes where it will actually gain you any time.

Agree, think conversation has veered off from Bus Gates at the City Centre Bridges to Bus Lanes, as you rightly point out very few bus lanes in Galway City anyhow. About 9% of the City Bus Network has bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Anytime someone mentions City Hall I always chuckle and think of this :D

https://youtu.be/KAhBvI2YvgU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It's a service .
    That's the DIFFERANCE .
    It's a service .

It's a business.
    Why do you get to use infrastructure that I can't, simply because you have a sign on your roof.
    You're not helping the congestion problem and if people wish to use a private service for whatever reason, they should be willing to pay the extra, use the regular road and suffer the time and expense like the rest of us.

It's a business.
    Why do you get to use infrastructure that I can't, simply because you have a sign on your roof.
    You're not helping the congestion problem and if people wish to use a private service for whatever reason, they should be willing to pay the extra, use the regular road and suffer the time and expense like the rest of us.

But you can bud .
    Just do the Psv ( public service vecihcle ) test .
    Pass it .
    Buy a taxi .
    Pay all the costs I pay to have a taxi and guess what ???
    Ya you to can BY LAW use the bus lanes .
    I ain't special .
    Come join the gang bud .

But you can bud .
    Pass it .
    Buy a taxi .
    I ain't special .
    Come join the gang bud .

Or the easier and cheaper option. Just buy a bike. (pedal bike/push bike)
    Bus and Bike are the only icons on the Blue Sign.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/si/358/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But you can bud .
    Pass it .
    Buy a taxi .
    I ain't special .
    Come join the gang bud .
    Only when you have a passenger or are in the process of picking one up of course. That's the requirement isn't it?

Anyway, I don't see the issue with taxis using bus lanes. Ideally it's only when they're supposed to, but that's the least of our traffic issues. Lets get more bus lanes before we start worrying about things like that (or until it's identified as a major issue). Not a chance do I think people car pooling should be allowed though.

They should put a bus lane inbound on lough atalia by again making it one way .
    Turn college road one way outbound and put a bus lane in .
    Turn bohermore one way inbound and put a bus lane in .
    Those decisions will take balls .
    Do the powers that be in city hall have them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They should put a bus lane inbound on lough atalia by again making it one way.
    Turn college road one way outbound and put a bus lane in.
    Turn bohermore one way inbound and put a bus lane in.
    Those decisions will take balls.
    Do the powers that be in city hall have them?
    Think college road and Lough atalia going one way would be a step forward but how do you address speeding which was factor wasnt it when trialled when the council were doing works?

They should put a bus lane inbound on lough atalia by again making it one way .
    Turn college road one way outbound and put a bus lane in .
    Turn bohermore one way inbound and put a bus lane in .
    Those decisions will take balls .
    Do the powers that be in city hall have them ?

Nah would just install a BUS GATE on College Road. Local traffic and Bus Only then. Keep Bohermore and Lough Atalia two-way.

• Advertisement

Think college road and Lough atalia going one way would be a step forward but how do you address speeding which was factor wasnt it when trialled when the council were doing works?

Fixed speed cameras wouldn’t be long sorting it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement