Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Do you believe there should be any limits on one-off housing?

I was raised in rural ireland. It was a wonderful childhood in the 1980s 1990s. We lived on a small boreen off a small road about 8k from town. We knew every car which passed on the road.

I would say rural Ireland is massively changed/gone. In the last 25 years there are approximately 50 new one-off bungalows built within a 3k radius of our previously rural house. Theres a massive influx of people moving from cities and towns to the countryside. We no longer know every car on the road and there is significant traffic on the boreens in the mornings and evenings.

We are seeing a rapid urbanisation of the countryside at historic speeds. Its out of control and needs to be managed.

The solution is to encourage people back into living in towns and cities. This means discriminating against people who have chosen to live rurally and commute by single occupant vehicle into the cities, in favor of those who decide to live and work in an urban environment.

And villages! Whatever happened to them? They used to be all the rage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The solution is to encourage people back into living in towns and cities. This means discriminating against people who have chosen to live rurally and commute by single occupant vehicle into the cities, in favor of those who decide to live and work in an urban environment.

Sara Shapely Bead will not be for turning. A dyed in the wool, rurban advocate.

I would favor more positive language though, it is not about discriminating, should rather about rewarding those who are not using a single occupant vehicles to get into Galway City. So even if people choose to live rurban areas. If they get public transport like a bus/train from local town into Galway City they should be rewarded by having faster journey times with Bus lanes on the main transport corridors. Same applies to people living in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

For the most part people earning good money do not want to be stuck in housing estates or apartments either, they want large houses with lots of space outside and not stuck up against their neighbors. This is why they move out of cities.
    This is quite simply not true. Ever wonder why city houses in good areas a multiple times the price of rural houses. I'll give you a hint, more people want them.

Also the way they measure this is also going to be flawed for sure. Say going from knocknacara to parkmore is probably somehow fiddled into the numbers where as in reality that’s not really a city to city journey by any stretch of the imagination.

This is false - it is a City to City Journey.
    If direct bus route was provided it would be done in 20 minutes if proper infrastructure was provided.

If direct bus route was provided it would be done in 20 minutes if proper infrastructure was provided.

Travel into the city from many rural areas is on the 20 to 30 minute time scale too though so I wouldn't use this as a way to judge it. I live about 30km from Galway city and commute after morning and evening peak traffic times and I'd often be home in 25 mins. A little longer in the morning, maybe 35 mins average.

I think the point is just city to city is not a great way of wording it. It makes it sound like most people live and work in the city centre when the reality is the covering an area well outside the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The bus I was waiting for during the week was 'due" for about thirty minutes. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Except that as far as any official statistics go, it is city-to-county. And Barna to Parkmore is county-to-county.

We all know that this is bollox and that Parkmore is "really" in the city.

But the effect of this on cross city journey statistics is large and misleading.

(I'm still far from convinced about how many people actually make this journey, though. My impression is that overall people from Knocknacarra work in the closer in estates. )

Except that as far as any official statistics go, it is city-to-county. And Barna to Parkmore is county-to-county.

We all know that this is bollox and that Parkmore is "really" in the city.

But the effect of this on cross city journey statistics is large and misleading.

(I'm still far from convinced about how many people actually this journey, though. My impression is that overall people from Knocknacarra work in the closer in estates. )

Would not look at it in isolation.
    True Parkmore is on the boundary line, parts are in the City Boundary.
    I would see such a cross city serving far more area's. Need serious priority measures though and dedicated bus shortcuts like going from Ballybrit Industrial Estate into Parkmore West.
    Only 9% of Current Galway Bus Network on dedicated facilities(there is overlap as well in this 9% figure if bus services use same bus lanes in the City)

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've literally the exact opposite experience. I did hear that they're a good employer of local people, but anybody I know qualified for the high skilled jobs just don't want to go there. And that's including people that did PhDs in partnership with them for 4+ years. They don't want to live in Tuam/county Galway and won't face the daily commute. The only people I know that do work for them are all from North Galway/Mayo already and want to live at home. Difficult for any company to rely on such a small population to fill high skilled jobs.

Great to see and not exactly the route you would expect people struggling to hire people to go down. Tuam will be Valeo’s global R&D hq for autonomous cars. We need more investment like this outside of cities.

https://connachttribune.ie/tuam-firm-valeo-to-create-50-new-jobs-as-part-of-major-rd-investment/

Great to see and not exactly the route you would expect people struggling to hire people to go down. Tuam will be Valeo’s global R&D hq for autonomous cars. We need more investment like this outside of cities.

https://connachttribune.ie/tuam-firm-valeo-to-create-50-new-jobs-as-part-of-major-rd-investment/

LOL. Heard it this morning too. Has that been bugging you all this time?

They'll still struggle unless they start paying better and reducing their staff turnover. I'm hopeful though. If only as a backup career for if my current one doesn't work out :pac:

• Advertisement

Tuam will be Valeo’s global R&D hq for autonomous cars. We need more investment like this outside of cities.
    [/url]
    Agree, but wishing it and it occurring are two different things. Decisions makers who decide this show that this is NOT occurring though.
    Existing businesses may go down this route and should be supported - but attracting brand new company's to setup.
    Oranmore IDA Park........

Oranmore IDA Park........

Like EAGames, Zimmer ....

Did EA move from Parkmore?

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

New companies that invested ourside the city in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Do they have a choice? No so that's your reply to the question why they are outside the city.

And these companies are in the Oranmore IDA Park (IDA is a state body)? If they are, they are really concealing it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

City is chocked in several places today. Headford road, the N6, Quincentenary Bridge, Tuam Road, Wellpark, Lough Atalia Road and the Dublin Road are all extremely clogged.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    City is chocked in several places today. Headford road, the N6, Quincentenary Bridge, Tuam Road, Wellpark, Lough Atalia Road and the Dublin Road are all extremely clogged.

Clogged with what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

At the risk of sounding smug my commute took its usual time.

• Advertisement

jjpep wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding smug my commute took its usual time.

Mine was quicker than usual. Bus driver drove with attitude, and the Dublin Rd was clear by 7pm.

No traffic issues at all for me crossing the city just after 6 as usual. The traffic did look heavyish going the other way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Traffic seems to rapidly improve at and after 6pm. Peak time appears to be 5 o'clock. Take a look at Google maps and the AA Roadwatch page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It does be grand on the Tuam Road into Galway around 5:40pm onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi, looking for some advice, I will arrive on the 10.08 am train into Galway on a Fri, and need to be in Salthill, via taxi, for 10.30 am. Is traffic usually very heavy at this time? Sorry, I don't know Galway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Hi Rubyk ..... If train arrives on time you will be just about fine .
    Come out of train station , turn left , walk approx 100 metres to eyre square .
    Best to wait around the myrick hotel and flag down a passing taxi as it's just a straight drive out by the docks to salthill .
    There's also a taxi company office ( big o ) located next door to the meyrick if no passing taxi .
    If should take a taxi around 8 minutes to get to salthill costing in and around €10.
    Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't wait to flag a taxi, just get one from the office there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks so much, hopefully no train delays, and I will get to salthill on time 🙂

Traffic seems to rapidly improve at and after 6pm. Peak time appears to be 5 o'clock. Take a look at Google maps and the AA Roadwatch page.

Avoiding peak times by just a bit is key in having an easy life commuting in Galway. Now I know many employers are still in the dark ages with their rigid work times but many aren’t. I never get into the city before about 9:25am and never leave work normally until 6 at the earliest and I have virtually no traffic issues. I also listen to Galway bay fm in the morning and if there is a crash on my route I just work from home for a while and avoid sitting there getting frustrated and actually get stated at working for the day.

• Advertisement

Avoiding peak times by just a bit is key in having an easy life commuting in Galway. Now I know many employers are still in the dark ages with their rigid work times but many aren’t. I never get into the city before about 9:25am and never leave work normally until 6 at the earliest and I have virtually no traffic issues. I also listen to Galway bay fm in the morning and if there is a crash on my route I just work from home for a while and avoid sitting there getting frustrated and actually get stated at working for the day.

You have described Galway Citys Car Traffic problem well, it is a peak demand issue in the main influenced by rural car commuters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement