Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Country folk coming into our city, congestion charges for non city dwellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Above post is supposed to be humorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

topcat77 wrote: »
    Country folk coming into our city, congestion charges for non city dwellers!

Most City folk I know seem to be originally from the Country(or further). Maybe give the Country folk better options of getting into the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone see in yesterday's Advertiser they've managed to spend €15 million on a ring road we don't have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'll tell you what folks, we are losing a lot of high tech jobs to Limerick at the moment due to our traffic issues and the lack of commercial property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll tell you what folks, we are losing a lot of high tech jobs to Limerick at the moment due to our traffic issues and the lack of commercial property.

Ya, but I'm sick of working with people who commute up here from Limerick and surrounds. Tremendous social and environmental cost. I'd rather they get jobs close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ya, but I'm sick of working with people who commute up here from Limerick and surrounds. Tremendous social and environmental cost. I'd rather they get jobs close to home.

LOL.. welcome to the cities, large human settlements, the cultural and economic nerve centres of the country where humans converge for employment, entertainment, and edification.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hahaha
    welcome to 21st century.
    Theyre getting jobs here in Galway as they cant get jobs in their career/area interest in their home town.

ya very true. example of two developments that are now shortly to be constructed that back up your claim :rolleyes:

https://connachttribune.ie/appeals-board-gives-go-ahead-for-e100m-bonham-quay-project/
    Only office space for 2,600 people in this City Centre Commercial Development

https://connachttribune.ie/city-planners-approve-major-development-at-former-crown-equipment-site/
    Only office space for 3,500 people in this City Centre Commercial Development

Hahaha
    welcome to 21st century.
    Theyre getting jobs here in Galway as they cant get jobs in their career/area interest in their home town.

Hahaha yourself.

Apparently we're losing jobs to Limerick. Except it seems we're not after all.

• Advertisement

ya very true. example of two developments that are now shortly to be constructed that back up your claim :rolleyes:

https://connachttribune.ie/appeals-board-gives-go-ahead-for-e100m-bonham-quay-project/

https://connachttribune.ie/city-planners-approve-major-development-at-former-crown-equipment-site/

It's not a claim. I know of 2 companies this month alone who chose to set up in Limerick instead of Galway. They cited office space and traffic as reasons. The office space developments you linked will take time. In the meantime we will forego other opportunities.

It's not a claim. I know of 2 companies this month alone who chose to set up in Limerick instead of Galway.
    How big and who are they?
    So Limerick had space office capacity in City Centre but Galway did not. I wonder why?
    Try house prices then.....

How big and who are they?
    So Limerick had space office capacity in City Centre but Galway did not. I wonder why?
    Try house prices then.....

I cant say because I am involved in the process. We are talking about 170 jobs this month alone. It will be public knowledge soon enough. Its a trend I have seen escalate over the last 12 months. I think the lack of office space is probably the main reason but traffic is a factor.

Of course lack of office space is a factor: that's why Bonham Quay is being built. And there are plans for the Crown site at Mervue, a whole new office park in Ballybane industrial and in Doughiska, and likely others I haven't remembered.

But the mentality of "oh no, we're losing jobs" to Limerick is nuts.

Limerick is a city: a far bigger one than Galway if you look at the proper (as opposed to official) boundaries. Of course Limerick will get some jobs - because people who live there or close to there should be working there.

Of course lack of office space is a factor: that's why Bonham Quay is being built. And there are plans for the Crown site at Mervue, a whole new office park in Ballybane industrial and in Doughiska, and likely others I haven't remembered.

Limerick is a city: a far bigger one than Galway if you look at the proper (as opposed to official) boundaries. Of course Limerick will get some jobs - because people who live there or close to there should be working there.

I am guessing you think my 'mentality' is 'nuts'. I am not sure how you read my original post but I was just stating a fact. I'll be honest, your 3 responses to my initial post makes me think you and what_traffic are a bit highly strung. I am not really sure what your angle is on this thread and that's fine with me. Look, I am just the messenger. It's large irrelevant to me as I am well settled in the public service and I won't be leaving anytime soon. Galway has done very well in terms of high tech jobs for many years. So has Limerick to be fair (they have some very persuasive politicians). I guess the pendulum is swinging towards Limerick at the moment. It is what it is and it will balance out I am sure. A lot of employers (and employees) in Dublin are looking to expand or setup along the western seaboard which can only be a good thing. There is almost certainly a better quality of life outside Dublin.

I am guessing you think my 'mentality' is 'nuts'. I am not sure how you read my original post but I was just stating a fact. I'll be honest, your 3 responses to my initial post makes me think you and what_traffic are a bit highly strung. I am not really sure what your angle is on this thread and that's fine with me. Look, I am just the messenger. It's large irrelevant to me as I am well settled in the public service and I won't be leaving anytime soon. Galway has done very well in terms of high tech jobs for many years. So has Limerick to be fair (they have some very persuasive politicians). I guess the pendulum is swinging towards Limerick at the moment. It is what it is and it will balance out I am sure. A lot of employers (and employees) in Dublin are looking to expand or setup along the western seaboard which can only be a good thing. There is almost certainly a better quality of life outside Dublin.
    A messenger.....?
    You have not backed any of your assertions or your facts?
    Both Galway City and Limerick City are both growing, and into the future will do so as well.
    What pendulum are you talking about?

I cant say because I am involved in the process. We are talking about 170 jobs this month alone.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Source?

Why ask a question when you know the answer?

I'm not speaking for the reliability of the original comment.

Anyone see in yesterday's Advertiser they've managed to spend €15 million on a ring road we don't have?

Not surprised. Team in ARUP in Ballybrit have been 5 years at it this stage.
    Roughly the same spent on the previous "Bypass" version that never got passed the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Whats going into the crown site?

• Advertisement

Another one

https://connachttribune.ie/planners-approve-new-office-campus-for-1500-workers/
    Only office space for 1,500.
    "
    Phase 1, an investment of €50m, involves the construction of three office blocks, ranging from five to eight storeys in height, a café and parking for 421 cars and 120 bicycles.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cghsr56w4654r

From May when GMIT and NUIG have no classes, traffic eases quiet abit, same with school holidays.

Make the colleges start from 10 and finish at 3-4 or 6-7, that way you will free up some traffic.

No parents dropping kids off, just buses collecting them from their estates.

If businesses could alter opening times from 8-10 it would also help.

More importantly people who rent, should try and rent on the side of the city that they work, obviously not always possible but sometimesi t is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From May when GMIT and NUIG have no classes, traffic eases quiet abit, same with school holidays.

Make the colleges start from 10 and finish at 3-4 or 6-7, that way you will free up some traffic.
    That's entirely unworkable, colleges/universities are not schools, they do not have fixed 9-4 timetables. Perhaps changing school times? Also worth mentioning that both institutions don't offer much in the way of parking, and most cycle/walk/bus in.
    More importantly people who rent, should try and rent on the side of the city that they work, obviously not always possible but sometimesi t is

It can be hard to find anywhere at all suitable to rent, nevermind in the most ideal location for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's entirely unworkable, colleges/universities are not schools, they do not have fixed 9-4 timetables. Perhaps changing school times? Also worth mentioning that both institutions don't offer much in the way of parking, and most cycle/walk/bus in.

Driving has increased dramatically for college students in the last few years due to accommodation shortages in the city. A lot of people are commuting from home when they can. NUIG have a huge amount of land given over to parking, but they also have a huge number of students and staff. GMIT seem to be dropping parking spots like they're going out of fashion. Not sure what their long term plan is. They've already made all the footpaths into parking spots and their overflow carpark has been sold. Park and Ride facilities are the only thing I can think of that would help with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

One leaking water pipe and the whole city has grounded to a halt. I have never experienced the traffic as bad as it is this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

motley wrote:
    One leaking water pipe and the whole city has grounded to a halt. I have never experienced the traffic as bad as it is this evening.

Not just this evening. I saw QB backed up this morning.

motley wrote: »

What mode of travel are ya using?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

bobbyss wrote:
    Not just this evening. I saw QB backed up this morning.

If you were travelling East at all it was bad. There was no escaping the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

motley wrote:

What happened?
    Lights were off at the Briarhill/Parkmore junction - dangerous chaos, no garda directing traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement