Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

topcat77 wrote: »
    What about the old and infirm? Keep them locked in the house i suppose?
    Force them into cars, more like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Look I never wait for a green man and cross where it’s most convienent but I do so at my own risk and make sure not to impede cars when doing so.

Which came first - Roads or cars? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You can’t be serious? Pedestrians are 100% responsible for looking after themselves when walking and should very much worry about putting themselves in harms way as it’s their job to stay out of cars way if they set foot on the road, which is for cars not walkers aside from when they have a green man to cross. Are you suggesting that walkers should just be able to walk out in front of cars and expect them to stop and if they don’t it’s not their own stupid fault?

Look I never wait for a green man and cross where it’s most convienent but I do so at my own risk and make sure not to impede cars when doing so.

"I'm a motorist, don't you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You can’t be serious? Pedestrians are 100% responsible for looking after themselves when walking and should very much worry about putting themselves in harms way as it’s their job to stay out of cars way if they set foot on the road, which is for cars not walkers aside from when they have a green man to cross. Are you suggesting that walkers should just be able to walk out in front of cars and expect them to stop and if they don’t it’s not their own stupid fault?

Yup. 100% serious. Course we should be able. It's a city not a motorway. People were walking there long before cars were even a concept. Car movement shouldn't get priority over a persons safety. If they can't coexist safely, the cars have to go. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Is there self driving cars in Galway now? Surely you mean people driving cars....

• Advertisement

jjpep wrote: »
    Is there self driving cars in Galway now? Surely you mean people driving cars....

Don't you know there's no people involved in this? It's cars, pedestrians, drivers and cyclists. 4 unique species with no crossover. All incapable of communicating with each other

xckjoo wrote: »
    Don't you know there's no people involved in this? It's cars, pedestrians, drivers and cyclists. 4 unique species with no crossover. All incapable of communicating with each other

Plus don't forget that if you're a cyclist and a driver than really you're just a cyclist...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »
    Yup. 100% serious. Course we should be able. It's a city not a motorway. People were walking there long before cars were even a concept. Car movement shouldn't get priority over a persons safety. If they can't coexist safely, the cars have to go. Simples

Does that mean cycles also have to go?

I spent 45 minutes walking around the city this morning. No cars endangered or even annoyed me at any time. The only vehicle which did was a bicycle going the wrong way down a one-way street; traffic was stationary while a lad unloaded some stuff, so I stepped into the street to go around some slower-moving pedestrians. Cycle-user should have anticipated that I'd do this because it'd been catching up to them for a good minute, but still he passed me with mm to spare.

I spent 45 minutes walking around the city this morning. No cars endangered or even annoyed me at any time. The only vehicle which did was a bicycle going the wrong way down a one-way street; traffic was stationary while a lad unloaded some stuff, so I stepped into the street to go around some slower-moving pedestrians. Cycle-user should have anticipated that I'd do this because it'd been catching up to them for a good minute, but still he passed me with mm to spare.

Oh FFS. YES!!!!!!!! Do I need to spell this out? Safety should be #1 priority. If we can't share space with cars, they go. If we can't share space with bikes, they go. There's a reason we (kinda) banned cycling on the footpath and have separate lanes for people on foot and people on bikes. Those dicks that cycle on Shop Street are just that, dicks. Get off and walk FFS. Bikes aren't allowed to contra-flow a one-way system so the person in your example was a dick twice. Them and their ilk are the reason we can't have cars and bikes and pedestrians sharing the same space.

Thanks for re-enforcing the whole "us" vs "them" mentality though.

You'll win yourself a Darwin Award with behaviour like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Count yourself lucky it was a bike and not a car you stepped out in front of.

You'll win yourself a Darwin Award with behaviour like that

Nope.

There is no way a car could have been in that place: the street is one vehicle wide, one way, and traffic was totally stopped by the van, which I was only a few metres away from.

Ass*** on bicycle shouldn't have been there. Suffice to say he had no helmet, dark coloured clothing, and either no warning device (ie bell) or chose / was to stupid to use it.

Classic example of why pedestrians and bicycles don't mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Many european cities are now allowing contra flow cycling (I admit not ours) as one way systems were introduced in the first place as cars and carparking didn't allow two way because of space.... but there really is no reason to restrict bicycles in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

McTigs wrote: »
    Many european cities are now allowing contra flow cycling (I admit not ours) as one way systems were introduced in the first place as cars and carparking didn't allow two way because of space.... but there really is no reason to restrict bicycles in the same way.

So it's not ok for cars to break the rules but it is ok for cyclists to break them :rolleyes:

So it's not ok for cars to break the rules but it is ok for cyclists to break them :rolleyes:

I don't think so. Use the bike to get around most days but stick to the rules.

The obvious difference is the risk involved to others, but I'd be happy with equal enforcement of all road rules. And I don't mean the zero enforcement that's currently done :D

Nope.

There is no way a car could have been in that place: the street is one vehicle wide, one way, and traffic was totally stopped by the van, which I was only a few metres away from.

Ass*** on bicycle shouldn't have been there. Suffice to say he had no helmet, dark coloured clothing, and either no warning device (ie bell) or chose / was to stupid to use it.

Classic example of why pedestrians and bicycles don't mix.

I owe you an apology, I missed that the cyclist was going the wrong way down a one-way in your original post, I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

One things for sure .
    Galway streets are to narrow to allow on street parking and expect them to be 2 way . The space isn't there for cyclists / motorists .
    I'm all in favour of bus lanes / bike lanes , however unless you start knocking down buildings it's impossible to fit everything in .
    It's obvious a one way system around a lot of the city roads needs to be implemented.
    But like with a lot of things enforcement is the key .

Nope, didn't say that. I merely pointed out that it's not a rule that should apply to cyclists and this something that is being recognised in other (more progressive and imaginative) places.

It's obvious a one way system around a lot of the city roads needs to be implemented.
    It's already implemented, half of them are one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A basic for anyone learning to drive a car (or indeed ride a bike) is to assume that other people will do stupid things. This will never not be an issue. So if a pedestrian does something stupid, you still have to try not to hit them. It doesn’t matter that you’re in the right. It’s not always possible to not hit the pedestrian but the driver should do their best not to. Human life > being right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

topcat77 wrote: »
    There should be a lot more light controlled crossings in the city centre and all should be pedestrian biased.

The lights at Spanish arch are a joke along with Eyre square. no crossings along Eglington street and trying to get from Galway shopping centre to Galway retail park is a nightmare for anyone.

The ped lights at the spainish arc are the main cause of traffic to stretch along the docks and Lough Atalia Road

The ped lights at the spainish arc are the main cause of traffic to stretch along the docks and Lough Atalia Road

One of our esteemed local councillors said similar recently too. Is the idea that parts of the city should not be accessible on foot so that people driving can be stuck some where else along that road? Maybe a better plan would be to find other ways than just cars as a way of commuting across the city.

McTigs wrote: »
    It's already implemented, half of them are one way

....mill street / sea road / Dominic street/ Henry street/ .... A slight exaggeration to suggest half of the streets in galway are already one way !!!!

Also .... University road / headford road / bohermore / Lough atalia / college road / .... Nonsense to suggest half of the galway city roads/ streets are already one way

Also .... University road / headford road / bohermore / Lough atalia / college road / .... Nonsense to suggest half of the galway city roads/ streets are already one way

It would make a lot of sense to make many, if not all, of those one way. Where the streets are narrow, on street car parking could be removed to allow for bike lanes

Ashleigh has a point, we should be pushing to get more one way streets to free up space for pedestrians and cyclists

Will the galway city council do away with on street parking on certain roads to facilitate one way systems or bike lanes ????
    The revenue from on street parking pays for a lot of these public sector workers !!
    Sooner better than later galway city council needs to get its head out if it's ARS ,and start implementing drastic changes ,to aliveate all the issues regarding galway traffic no matter what mode of transport you use .

Will the galway city council do away with on street parking on certain roads to facilitate one way systems or bike lanes ????
    The revenue from on street parking pays for a lot of these public sector workers !!
    Sooner better than later galway city council needs to get its head out if it's ARS ,and start implementing drastic changes ,to aliveate all the issues regarding galway traffic no matter what mode of transport you use .

What particular streets do you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What particular streets do you have in mind?

I would guess Eglinton street for a start. Forster street too.

• Advertisement

Lough atalia / college road / mill street / sea road / Henry street / presentation road / Dominic street .... After that take a look at headford road from courthouse to traffic lights at tesco ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement