Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male babysitter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

listermint wrote: »
    Who's a great parent ? I'm just a parent.

I've a keen eye for idiot's though. Great at that.

I didn’t know listermint came in surly flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don’t belong in this forum.

Correct you don't. Do not post in this thread again. And any more comments like the ones you've made and you won't be posting in this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I am mother and my SO has been very involved in spending time with our daughter when she was a baby (he minded her more than a year after I returned to work); probably I would have not trusted an external male baby sitter for her at all.

But if I were to look into making a business out of something that allows me spending time with my child in an after school regime, I would look into art/music/cooking/languages classes instead of baby sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sitting here on holidays and it's naught but fathers minding their children here in the water park. Great craic altogether. People are always going to have different parenting views to your own, if it's outlandish you should just ignore it.

In Germany people are very forward and strangers will regularly give you crap for your parenting style. Twits they be.

Anyway, it's fantastic that your mate wants to mind children, we really should have more males represented in the child minding/babysitting industry. However, there are far too many ignorant people that believe male babysitters are sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't have kids, but I would find a lot to like about having an adult male babysitter. If it is a small local area as you say and people trust him then why not? He could put up a sign somewhere and as long as he is open about his identity then I can't see the problem. As you say he seems to really like kids and I am sure there are a load of kids out there who would love a few hours with a man minding them as opposed to another 17 year old girl on her phone all night. I think he has nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

For a part time job that might fit in with school has he thought about be coming a home help. All ways looking for male home helps. Just a opinion no problem with male baby sitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You've hit the nail on the head there with why men are better babysitters than women. You'd be sitting in the office wondering if the man was doing bad stuff with the kids.
    A man wouldn't sit around wondering if someone was interfering with his kids he'd be straight over to knock 7 different kinds of **** out of them.

Pretty sure that poster is a male, so how does that prove your point?
    It does the exact opposite, seeing as he says he would be sitting around wondering. :rolleyes:

On the Op's question, I think the best way is to start with families who already know him as a stay at home dad, and once he builds up a reputation from there, other people will be interested too. IMO it can be as much an advantage as a disadvantage. Some people will want an active, outdoors-type childminder for active kids, and they may tend to think a man will be better at that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ahh right I saw the rainbow sig and assumed teenage mom now lgbtq+ feminist.
    He's a bit of an oddball them don't know any men who would be sitting wondering if anyone was abusing their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ahh right I saw the rainbow sig and assumed teenage mom now lgbtq+ feminist.
    He's a bit of an oddball them don't know any men who would be sitting wondering if anyone was abusing their children.

So the fact that your assumptions were entirely wrong means that he's necessarily an oddball, not that your own prejudices might need to be reviewed.

Ok got that. :rolleyes:

My assumption on age/gender/sexual orientation/relationship status may have been wrong but it's doesn't take away from the fact he suggested men are a threat to children.
    A lot of the queer women on Frist dates seem to have been young mothers and no have no interest in men. You can blame RTÉ, the #metoo movement and the toxic Ruth Coppinger for my assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

harr wrote: »
    Thanks , the reason I said him being a “ man and all “ is that a lot of people still don’t like men in traditional child minding roles. I am a stay at home dad myself and I often get comments about how it must be my turn “ to babysit” or if I am giving my wife a “ deserved day off “.
    So he is a little apprehensive about offering babysitting services as a 40 something year old male.

Tbh it’s the ‘babysitting’ label doesn’t sit right with me for someone who is middle-aged and hoping to make childminding at the weekend legitimate employment. ‘Babysitting’ as other posters have suggested is something I’d be more inclined to associate with a teenager looking for part-time or Summer work.

It’s the taking on of other people’s children though carries many more responsibilities than just earning himself a couple of quid at the weekend because he’s great with children. I wouldn’t discourage him from going for it, I’d suggest maybe doing some more research into whether or not childminding would be viable employment for him and whether the opportunities really are there to make it worth his while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have trust issues with other people minding my kids in general, male or female, whether I know them or not. This may or may not be considered healthy by others, maybe I've read too many stories on Daily Mail, but I really struggle with this. Friends and acquaintances don't seem to have this issue though and in answer to OP's question, I don't think many would have an issue with hiring a male babysitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If he is collecting and dropping his children to school why not become a childminder for children in school, parents would be maybe more comfortable with him doing this as he is picking up his own children and the children would be older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My assumption on age/gender/sexual orientation/relationship status may have been wrong but it's doesn't take away from the fact he suggested men are a threat to children.
    A lot of the queer women on Frist dates seem to have been young mothers and no have no interest in men. You can blame RTÉ, the #metoo movement and the toxic Ruth Coppinger for my assumptions.

No, you can blame fellas who assume that they deserve to sit on their arses while woman slave around them. This notion that all men are threats in some way is very useful altogether, when slobbing about watching sport with a beer in hand, while the world is run around them

Men are well able to look after their own children, in much the same way they are well able to cook their own dinners, do their own laundry etc.

Macho culture would make you think that everything is a woman's job, but there's nothing macho about it. It's the behavior of an extra child who needs to be taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Well women have made this matcho man either his mother or his partner. They are out there alright I know a few but like the great mamat that they are, they are dieing out.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Well women have made this matcho man either his mother or his partner. They are out there alright I know a few but like the great mamat that they are, they are dieing out.

What?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    What?

I think that Papasmurf means that the women in the layabout man's life enable them to be that way but that those men's attitude is thankfully dying out.

OP, one of the best childminders in our son's creche was male. I think if your friend markets himself as a childminder rather than a babysitter he might have better luck. If he's serious about it being a steady income for him then he might want to look into qualifications in childcare. My criteria for choosing a childminder would be experience, qualifications and premises not gender.

pwurple wrote: »
    No, you can blame fellas who assume that they deserve to sit on their arses while woman slave around them. This notion that all men are threats in some way is very useful altogether, when slobbing about watching sport with a beer in hand, while the world is run around them

Men are well able to look after their own children, in much the same way they are well able to cook their own dinners, do their own laundry etc.

Macho culture would make you think that everything is a woman's job, but there's nothing macho about it. It's the behavior of an extra child who needs to be taken care of.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Neyite wrote: »
    I think that Papasmurf means that the women in the layabout man's life enable them to be that way but that those men's attitude is thankfully dying out.

OP, one of the best childminders in our son's creche was male. I think if your friend markets himself as a childminder rather than a babysitter he might have better luck. If he's serious about it being a steady income for him then he might want to look into qualifications in childcare. My criteria for choosing a childminder would be experience, qualifications and premises not gender.
    Thanks for explaining that

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In a perfect world a person's sex would not be an issue when minding children

We don't live in this world, and never will...

Bottom line is that the vast vast majority of pedophilia statistics involves males committing the offences against children...

I would not have any male mind my child unless I was very sure of them.

Of course there are other dangers other than the sexual nature danger.

There are reasons why almost all people involved in official child minding roles are women...

Males advertising a need or want to babysit would definitely arouse "suspicions".....sorry, but that's just life...

I don't know of any male ever advertising babysitting services......

Oh, and I am well aware that men look after their won children; I a one! I am making the point of looking after non related children...

• Advertisement

Oh ffs they may round all the men up and burn us at the stake. I can't believe women and men in Ireland consider irish men in general are a threat to their children.
    If you look at what happend in Ireland it's mainly men and young boys. These are not your normal straight dad's, lumping us all in with those crepes is diplorable and small minded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This thread is slightly amusing in some ways.I work in a heavily male dominated career the last ten+ years.In that time I have noticed that most men my age, maybe slightly older are quite hands on with their kids, keen to take paternity leave/time off at births, often have the kids at home themselves, work early/late hours to suit pick ups and drop offs.And it's great to see the burden being shared more evenly.Older men in this workplace, anecdotally, generally are not like this (just what I have seen).They would be quite up front talking about it, seeing as there are so few women around the office!! The thread makes me a bit sad though that there are men out there that still think like that.

OP your post had me thinking-for all that I face gender stereotypes at work, I would stereotype your friend, as a mother myself, and would be reluctant to hire him.Thinking about it a bit more, the fact that he is a dad and a stay at home one, would be a huge plus for him though, in my mind.Maybe he could approach some of his neighbours since he is known, and make the suggestion to them?

It's tough, but it is a man's world....unfortunately it's acting against him in reverse here.

Oh ffs they may round all the men up and burn us at the stake. I can't believe women and men in Ireland consider irish men in general are a threat to their children.
    If you look at what happend in Ireland it's mainly men and young boys. These are not your normal straight dad's, lumping us all in with those crepes is diplorable and small minded.

We don't.

Yup, down with crêpes. (Sorry! Can't help myself)

Advertisement