Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancer Treatment Centers

• 16-02-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Boards - one of those topics that you hope you'll never have to research :-/

A family member has received a difficult prognosis on metastatic (bone) prostate cancer, so naturally we're now trying to ensure he receives the best possible treatment.

I'm aware there are several cancer centers in Ireland, and fortunately our health insurance will offer cover in all of them. I'll be forever grateful for any advice on (i) going private vs. public, (ii) particular centers, and/or (iii) specific medical oncologists to go to for a 2nd opinion on treatment options.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

shaggyout wrote: »
    Hi Boards - one of those topics that you hope you'll never have to research :-/

A family member has received a difficult prognosis on metastatic (bone) prostate cancer, so naturally we're now trying to ensure he receives the best possible treatment.

I'm aware there are several cancer centers in Ireland, and fortunately our health insurance will offer cover in all of them. I'll be forever grateful for any advice on (i) going private vs. public, (ii) particular centers, and/or (iii) specific medical oncologists to go to for a 2nd opinion on treatment options.

Many thanks.
    My father has just received same diagnosis can you let me know any info you found . Private is not an option however

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Family member went through public health system for cancer treatment.
    Unfortunately after 5 years succumbed to the illness.
    But I can honestly say she was treated brilliantly by the hospital as a public patient often sent to private hospitals at no extra expense if delay on tests.
    We have a great health service in this country even if Joe Duffy disagrees.
    Hopefully things have a good outcome on your end, I'll remember you in my prayers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The treatment once diagnosed is the same - for me the private health insurance just meant that I was in a smaller room for chemo and when I was out of intensive care post the surgery. Otherwise the treatment was the same.

I did have difficulty getting diagnosed but that was because I was only 32 when I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer and the only reason I was diagnosed was because my then boyfriend was attending a gastroenterologist long term and he saw me as a favor.

I am 45 at this stage, I married 2 weeks post chemo and have a 7 and 9 year old :)

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Like Cathy I had difficulty getting diagnosed- I was 36. Once i "got into the system" i had nothing but a positive experience. Everybody from nurses/doctors/cleaners/porters were all so nice. I had private healthcare but when it comes to things like this thankfully everyone will receive the same treatment. I received chemo as an inpatient and I was glad of the company in the room (there were 6 of us). I had surgery/chemo and surveillance program in University Hospital Limerick- I'll be finished my 4th year of surveillance this Sept. I can't express how good the care/treatment that I received was- especially at at time when you are at your most vulnerable.

I'm now 40 and since cancer- I ran my 10th full marathon in 2017 and my wife is expecting our first child in 2 weeks. I know not everyone can have such a lucky outcome but I wish your relative the best of luck

Advertisement