Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25plus.ie car insurance cancellation charges

• 16-02-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

I purchased car insurance in early January from 25plus.ie for €373 and was happy with the price as my usual broker was quoting 430.

However, I had lost my drivers license and had applied for a new one but didn’t arrive in time to provide them a copy so they cancelled the insurance. Fair enough, my fault.

I asked what the cancellation charge would be and they said to refer to the terms of business on the website. This stated €25. However I FINALLY got my refund yesterday and it was €261, a €112 difference!!!

Has anyone had a similar experience? I really feel like fighting this...

Plus their customer service interaction is extremely poor as it’s done via a message board and it takes days sometimes to get a response. I’ve already asked for an explanation for the €112 but I mightn’t get an answer for days!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

<SNIP>

How long were you exactly on cover for OP? You ll be charged the cancellation fee (25) and any time on risk (which is usually at a scandalous short term rate for the first 1-3 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ASOT wrote: »
    How long were you exactly on cover for OP? You ll be charged the cancellation fee (25) and any time on risk (which is usually at a scandalous short term rate for the first 1-3 months).

I was never actually covered I would assume as I could not provide my license details within 10 days. Unless I was actually covered for these 10 days?

telekon wrote: »
    I was never actually covered I would assume as I could not provide my license details within 10 days. Unless I was actually covered for these 10 days?

You would be covered up until the date the policy was actually cancelled, IE if you were involved in an accident they would still pay out regardless if you sent them your license or not up until the date of actual cancellation.

You would be covered up until the date the policy was actually cancelled, IE if you were involved in an accident they would still pay out regardless if you sent them your license or not.

Right, that would make sense. Thanks. However €87 additional for 10 days seems a bit steep to would have thought.

Right, that would make sense. Thanks. However €87 additional for 10 days seems a bit steep to would have thought.

How long in total was it from when the policy began to when it was cancelled? If it was only 10 days total they should have offered you the chance to cancel within your cooling off period and would have only cost you the 25 and not have had a cancellation on your record.

• Advertisement

How long in total was it from when the policy began to when it was cancelled? If it was only 10 days total they should have offered you the chance to cancel within your cooling off period and would have only cost you the 25 and not have had a cancellation on your record.

They cancelled it, I was hoping to receive my license in the mail in time so I could scan it and upload to website to finalize the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As was ased above. Howlong was the policy on cover? The cancellation notice period would be 10 alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

I purchased car insurance in early January from 25plus.ie for €373 and was happy with the price as my usual broker was quoting 430.

However, I had lost my drivers license and had applied for a new one but didn’t arrive in time to provide them a copy so they cancelled the insurance. Fair enough, my fault.

I asked what the cancellation charge would be and they said to refer to the terms of business on the website. This stated €25. However I FINALLY got my refund yesterday and it was €261, a €112 difference!!!

Has anyone had a similar experience? I really feel like fighting this...

Plus their customer service interaction is extremely poor as it’s done via a message board and it takes days sometimes to get a response. I’ve already asked for an explanation for the €112 but I mightn’t get an answer for days!

I had a nightmare experience with these b@stards as well.

Don't touch with a barge poll.

Advertisement