Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L drivers, cars taken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What are you trying to say between all those articles you copied? Its hard to follow you.

I'm sorry you find it difficult. The articles say how large a number of people in Ireland are uninsured.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well that begs to question, what's your point then? This thread isn't about insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

A while ago now, but I failed the test twice in a town with a 52% pass rate, moved to another town (due to work) with a pass rate of 48% and passed the test.

Passing the test had nothing to do with the town, luck or anything else except becoming a competent driver (thanks to an excellent driving instructor)

Taking that view to the nth degree would mean that a competent driver would never have an accident... who knows maybe only incompetent drivers have accidents!!

Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation. One day everybody acts properly and your driving test is a dream come true. Another day some job ****e runs across the road in front of you or a car cuts you off on a roundabout, etc, etc. One day you pass and the next day you fail such is life. And that's before we take into account the vast inconsistencies found among individual testers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

creedp wrote: »
    Taking that view to the nth degree would mean that a competent driver would never have an accident... who knows maybe only incompetent drivers have accidents!!

Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation. One day everybody acts properly and your driving test is a dream come true. Another day some job ****e runs across the road in front of you or a car cuts you off on a roundabout, etc, etc. One day you pass and the next day you fail such is life. And that's before we take into account the vast inconsistencies found among individual testers.

So when someone passes the test it is just because they were lucky, not because they have demonstrated their driving skills during the test?

Being able to react properly to people running across the road or cutting you off on a roundabout is part of that skill set.

Is bad luck the reason so many people fail the theory test too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's easier to blame another road user for your failure than admit maybe you aren't up to the required standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Have a read of this article from 2011 and tell me who is in the right.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/motorist-who-failed-10-driving-tests-loses-appeal-1.602561

Well that begs to question, what's your point then? This thread isn't about insurance.

If so many people are driving without insurance, then why be surprised that many are driving without having even done a test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rechuchote wrote: »
    If so many people are driving without insurance, then why be surprised that many are driving without having even done a test.

They are 2 different issues. Let's add a third, why do so many disqualified people still drive. Need a 4th, the abundance of untaxed cars on the road... they don't make any difference to someone driving with a learners permit, who is not adhering to the requirements of one.

And they all add up to the same thing: a totally scofflaw attitude, largely accepted by society.

ehm... whatever so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I saw an 'N' driver over the weekend. He was in the wrong lane turning left. He drove out in front of a garda car and was waved back by the Guard. He then turned onto a main road going down facing the oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. Was awful lucky there wasn't much coming towards him. He then did a U-turn in the middle of the road and roared off in the opposite direction (thankfully this time on the correct side) spinning the wheels as he did so. I got it all on dash-cam and watched it back later - it would make your toes curl!
    Now if he'd passed his test he'd gone to hell in the interim.

KatyMac wrote: »
    I saw an 'N' driver over the weekend. He was in the wrong lane turning left. He drove out in front of a garda car and was waved back by the Guard. He then turned onto a main road going down facing the oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. Was awful lucky there wasn't much coming towards him. He then did a U-turn in the middle of the road and roared off in the opposite direction (thankfully this time on the correct side) spinning the wheels as he did so. I got it all on dash-cam and watched it back later - it would make your toes curl!
    Now if he'd passed his test he'd gone to hell in the interim.

Oddly I know of someone on a learner permit and they are displaying N plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Between that lady on her 11th (or more) and the guy in Cork on 17,should there come a point when authorities step in and say enough is enough? Again driving is not a right or entitlement, it is a privilege or luxury, that's just for those who are actually sitting the test, what about those who are endlessly renewing and not showing up, i look forward to the RSA proposals to stop all of this.

I thought you could only cancel the test twice :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

-Cancel test once- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test twice- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test third time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test because it's time to renew your permit and you need proof of a scheduled test. Pay fee again.
    -Cancel test fourth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test fifth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test sixth time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test when it's time for another learner permit and proof of a scheduled test is required. Pay fee again.

Rinse and repeat. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Posy wrote: »
    -Cancel test once- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test twice- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test third time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test because it's time to renew your permit and you need proof of a scheduled test. Pay fee again.
    -Cancel test fourth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test fifth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test sixth time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test when it's time for another learner permit and proof of a scheduled test is required. Pay fee again.

Rinse and repeat. :pac:

:eek: :confused:

Can the RSA not check who does not sit the test within so many years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well the thing is they are still considered a learner so must be accompanied at all times when driving. (Which I doubt the long termers are.)

So this crackdown should catch them too. Hopefully.

It’s not illegal to not sit the test.

It is illegal to drive unaccompanied unless you pass the test or pass IBT in the case of a bike.

It’s not illegal to not sit the test.

Perhaps it should be.

Perhaps it should be.

There are proposals to force people to sit the test I understand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They can just show up with no insurance disc/valid NCT and then the test won't go ahead anyway. Although if you're driving (illegally) for years I don't know why you wouldn't just sit the feckin' test!

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    They can just show up with no insurance disc/valid NCT and then the test won't go ahead anyway. Although if you're driving (illegally) for years I don't know why you wouldn't just sit the feckin' test!

Easier to hop off a bus and show up without a car.

Let's get real and have qualified people driving on our roads.

Or of course let everyone get out of cars and use bikes (which I'd prefer, naturally).

Let's get real and have qualified people driving on our roads.

Or of course let everyone get out of cars and use bikes (which I'd prefer, naturally).

And how would people get qualified to drive without practicing on the roads? The issue here is people driving unaccompanied, which is being cracked down on.

Cars are here to stay. If you want to cycle, go ahead but this is the learning to drive forum.

pablo128 wrote: »
    And how would people get qualified to drive without practicing on the roads? The issue here is people driving unaccompanied, which is being cracked down on.

Cars are here to stay. If you want to cycle, go ahead but this is the learning to drive forum.

People would get qualified (in my ideal world) by taking classes with professionals, and when they finish that first course, practising accompanied by a qualified driver, and then sitting and passing the test at the end of their six-month provisional licence period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

People would get qualified (in my ideal world) by taking classes with professionals, and when they finish that first course, practising accompanied by a qualified driver, and then sitting and passing the test at the end of their six-month provisional licence period.

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Most cyclists I know who are old enough to drive do so as well as enjoying their bikes.

E (cyclist and motorist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

pablo128 wrote: »

The same way they do in most EU countries .Official driving lessons in official driving schools until you pass the test .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The RSA don't care. That's €90 in their pocket one way or another.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The RSA don't care. That's €90 in their pocket one way or another.

I sat the car test for €38. how times change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

I sat the car test for €38. how times change

That's nothing, I got my full licence, all categories for £1.00, took perhaps 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

J_R wrote: »
    That's nothing, I got my full licence, all categories for £1.00, took perhaps 10 minutes.

when was that? pre 1964?

when was that? pre 1964?

Hi,

Yes.

actually got two licences. First one, gave my proper age (18) and was therefore restricted to cars. About year later tried to hire a car in Dublin and was refused, was told needed to be 23. So trotted off to nearest motor tax office, . gave Dublin address of old ex girl friend, ticked the box for "over 21", I could then tick the boxes for all the categories, which I did and was handed my full licence.

Went to another car hire company, gave my age as 25, hired a car, a mini, had never sat behind the wheel of a car before, but of course knew how to drive as watched my father and brothers. By time I got home. 120 miles later, reckoned was an experienced driver.

Times have definitely changed

Back when you just had to fill out a form at the post office?

Back when you just had to fill out a form at the post office?
    Hi,

Yes, necessary to only fill in name and address, if under 21 had to input DOB, otherwise tick box for "Over 21" no ID whatsoever required.

Then tick few more boxes to a few simple questions, tender completed sheet with £1 and be given your licence there and then.

But think it was in Motor tax office

Hi,

Yes, necessary to only fill in name and address, if under 21 had to input DOB, otherwise tick box for "Over 21" no ID whatsoever required.

Then tick few more boxes to a few simple questions, tender completed sheet with £1 and be given your licence there and then.

But think it was in Motor tax office

You're more likely right than me. I only knew about that from my Mom. She's 80 so ofcourse she might be off about it. The tests was implemented by the time i moved here.

You're more likely right than me. I only knew about that from my Mom. She's 80 so ofcourse she might be off about it. The tests was implemented by the time i moved here.

Testing came in during 1964

• Advertisement

Hi,

Yes.

actually got two licences. First one, gave my proper age (18) and was therefore restricted to cars. About year later tried to hire a car in Dublin and was refused, was told needed to be 23. So trotted off to nearest motor tax office, . gave Dublin address of old ex girl friend, ticked the box for "over 21", I could then tick the boxes for all the categories, which I did and was handed my full licence.

Went to another car hire company, gave my age as 25, hired a car, a mini, had never sat behind the wheel of a car before, but of course knew how to drive as watched my father and brothers. By time I got home. 120 miles later, reckoned was an experienced driver.

Times have definitely changed

I can't even imagine what that system would be like, could you imagine something like that in this day and age

Hi,

she could have posted the application form ?

But now not 100% certain myself. Was a few years ago and now that I am in my fifties memory not what it used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

It would be great to see some stats on L drivers unaccompanied and accidents. I don't think all L drivers are unsafe to drive unaccompanied but I did have one crash into me straight out from a sideroad who was unaccompanied, the Garda were not interested as there was no one injured.

horse7 wrote:
    It would be great to see some stats on L drivers unaccompanied and accidents. I don't think all L drivers are unsafe to drive unaccompanied but I did have one crash into me straight out from a sideroad who was unaccompanied, the Garda were not interested as there was no one injured.

The L drivers who are not "unsafe" should logically take and pass the driving test.

So when someone passes the test it is just because they were lucky, not because they have demonstrated their driving skills during the test?

Being able to react properly to people running across the road or cutting you off on a roundabout is part of that skill set.

Is bad luck the reason so many people fail the theory test too?

I didn't say that - Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation.

But listen I know some drivers are perfect in every way

• Advertisement

I didn't say that - Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation.

But listen I know some drivers are perfect in every way

The only "element of luck" is that you might pass the test if you are not faced with a situation that you are not sufficiently competent to handle.

But as you say driving involves interacting with real people in the real world so not everyone gets tested as comprehensively as needed.

Perhaps a simulation element should be added to the process, that could test how a learner permit holder reacts to what as you say are real life situations.

Until then some will be "lucky" and pass even thought they don't really have all the skills required to avoid accidents.

The only "element of luck" is that you might pass the test if you are not faced with a situation that you are not sufficiently competent to handle.

But as you say driving involves interacting with real people in the real world so not everyone gets tested as comprehensively as needed.

Perhaps a simulation element should be added to the process, that could test how a learner permit holder reacts to what as you say are real life situations.

Until then some will be "lucky" and pass even thought they don't really have all the skills required to avoid accidents.

I don't want to get into a fruitless tit for tat on this but the most competent of drivers have 'accidents' which may or may not be caused by other drivers. If you are lucky you will avoid such 'accident'.

I don't want to get into a fruitless tit for tat on this but the most competent of drivers have 'accidents' which may or may not be caused by other drivers. If you are lucky you will avoid such 'accident'.

True,

I was involved in an accident some years ago.

On a national road the traffic ahead of me came to a stop, I stopped as did the cars behind me. A couple of minutes later the traffic started moving again, but soon afterwards for whatever reason it again stopped (cars ahead of me on a bend so I couldn't see what was causing the traffic ahead to stop)
    I stopped without hitting the car in front of me (as did ALL the cars ahead of me), the driver behind me didn't stop and wrote off my car.

My stopping in time wasn't due to "luck", the driver failing to stop behind me wasn't due to "bad luck" it was due to lack of attention.

Now perhaps you could say I was unlucky to have an inattentive driver behind me (I did see in my rear view mirror that he wasn't slowing but I had no option of moving anywhere so I could not prevent the accident).

Or you could say the other driver was lucky that he hit a cheap old Honda and not a new BMW.

However the accident was caused by lack of attention, not luck.

horse7 wrote: »

Some stats here https://www.thejournal.ie/learner-drivers-unaccompanied-3893515-Mar2018/
    Unaccompanied learner drivers were involved in 35 fatal car crashes in past four years

(Actually a low proportion of fatal crashes)

but looky here:
    According to figures provided to RTÉ by the Road Safety Authority, 5.8% of all fatal crashes between 2014 to 2017 involved a learner driver.

However, just under 9% of all drivers in Ireland hold a learners permit.

My own hard line is that if you kill people with a car/bus/truck/van you should never be allowed to drive again. That would certainly and definitively bring down the number of crashes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It really doesn't matter what the stats say. If a Learner driver wants to do so solo they must prove their ability to do so by passing the test.

Yes preparing for the test is expensive, waiting times can be long, and there may well be inferior drivers with full licenses out there, but unfortunately the system, as in many elements of our lives, isn't perfect and sometimes isn't even fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

The L drivers who are not "unsafe" should logically take and pass the driving test.

Hardly.

The driving test is effectively like asking someone to demonstrate how to walk. Nobody, absolutely nobody, drives around residential streets in a similar manner to the test. It's unatural. Not to mention conflicting information and opinions between your instructor and the tester.

It would be interesting to see what the pass rates would be if testers were to be made wear body cams.

I was amazed to find that around 1 in 12 motorists are still on a learner permit. While L plates displayed were never nearly as high as 1 in 12 they've become like hens teeth since the laws were brought in, all the young drivers are taking them down (I'm guessing the people on it years never displayed them)

I've yet to see a Garda twitter or televised car seizure which involved a car with L plates displayed, they seem to only target people they deem taking the piss by being evasive. Not set in stone obviously, but even driving unaccompanied kids are better off displaying them, get caught without and what is it, four points instead of a possible two? A single speeding citation in the following two years and off the road for what, six months?.

Government really need to meet half way, perhaps extend it to allowing unaccompanied driving after completing the 12 lessons? (although that in itself is a bit counter productive. I did my 12 lessons before I had a car and could barely pull out into traffic without stalling what with him shouting at me and aghast I'd learned nothing. I essentially taught myself how to drive, and looking back it would have been more ideal to start completely on my own, and THEN take the lessons, as rather than ticking off the basics it would be 12 attempts at driving to the ludicrous test standard)

Hardly.

The driving test is effectively like asking someone to demonstrate how to walk. Nobody, absolutely nobody, drives around residential streets in a similar manner to the test. It's unatural.

No it's not unnatural. If everyone drove the same way as they passed their test, there would be very few problems on our roads. Things like stay left, don't stop in a yellow box unless turning right, indicate in plenty of time EVERY TIME you intend to turn or change lane, check mirrors regularly, stop at red lights, give way at roundabouts, and many more.

Please point out which of those are unnatural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Government really need to meet half way, perhaps extend it to allowing unaccompanied driving after completing the 12 lessons? (although that in itself is a bit counter productive. I did my 12 lessons before I had a car and could barely pull out into traffic without stalling )

Do you not see the contradiction there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

It's amazing how many learner drivers think they are wonderful drivers and yet are unable to pass the test.

There is no way they will be back-pedalling now to allow unaccompanied driving, just get on and get through the test or stay off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just copy the A licence, can drive unaccompanied after getting a cert of Satisfactory Completion after doing a proper ibt course.

How the 12 lessons are run is just box ticking as it is.

Chances are the EU will do the same to the B license eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement