Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMI gone

Options
  • 16-02-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

Very sad to see British Midland has ceased flying tonight

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Big implications for Derry Airport who have now lost the daily flights to Stansted.

Could be more on the way given the UK's current policy of shooting itself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There saying Brexit is one of the main reasons for the problem thousands of holidaymakers will be stranded or won't be going on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Pedantic paddy here.

It was BMI Regional. A separate stand alone company from the aforementioned British Midland/BMI.

With a bit of luck some of those Embraer drivers can find work with Stobart on the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Bloody Brexit causing load factors of 37%. I bet board members of defunct airlines and businesses prior to 2016 are gutted there was no Brexit to salvage their reputations a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very sad to see British Midland has ceased flying tonight

End of the last of what was a nice airline back in the day. I used to fly with them a lot to London back in the day, out of the old C gates. Hope the staff get new jobs quickly, well over 300 affected. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0216/1031036-flybmi-administration/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Easy to blame Brexit but sharp rise in fuel is the core problem. Small European operators are struggling and will be for the forseable unless they take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Easy to blame Brexit but sharp rise in fuel is the core problem. Small European operators are struggling and will be for the forseable unless they take action.

It’s probably a mixture of things. They do a lot of charter work and the word seems to be that nobody is booking British charters beyond end march over the uncertainty for example. It’s definitely a contributing factor. But some folks will say it’s the only factor and others will scream excuses excuses and project fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

and why would you not blame the farce that is Brexit uncertainty for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nijmegen wrote: »
    End of the last of what was a nice airline back in the day. I used to fly with them a lot to London back in the day, out of the old C gates. Hope the staff get new jobs quickly, well over 300 affected. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0216/1031036-flybmi-administration/

They were a smart outfit back then. C41-46 gates in the morning, buzz about the place in the years before the recession. Good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My first flight was a Quinnsworth deal on a British Midland DC9. It was a pity that only this division got left with the brand after the Lufthansa years and its a further pity today to see that go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sad to see them go too. They were a very friendly, professional outfit I found, the handful of times I used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It is a pity to see them go. I have fond memories of using them DUB-LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

and why would you not blame the farce that is Brexit uncertainty for this?

Because the market is spitting out small unprofitable airlines all over the world right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The industry has never had it so good in the past 5 years. If an airline couldn't make a decent profit during this time to weather any rise in fuel prices then their core business model is flawed. They can blame whoever they want but the industry is consolidating and marginal regional airlines will have to get creative (eg: Cityjet, Stobart) or go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My first ever flight was with BM too, to LHR, late 80s.

I know its not the current company, but the last time I flew with BMI was a return leg on the same route in 2012. I recall the aircraft having a really nice dark brown pleather interior and excellent service. I was sat beside actor Matthew McFadyean who was commuting to while filming Ripper Street in Dublin. Nice fella.

I guess BM was just a relic of old decency, but sorry to see it finally disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loganair have agreed to take on the Derry to Stansted route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Loganair have agreed to take on the Derry to Stansted route.

Same owner as BMI had. Hopefully on a better financial footing!

Advertisement