Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Micra (failed NCT)

• 16-02-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi guys,

my nissan micra (2006) 1.2 petrol failed NCT today. I was told to change a brake pad and replace the wishbone bushes (offside front).

So I called around to get some quotes and was quoted €90-110 for the brake pad supply and fitted. Is this price reasonable?

And the wishbone bushes, I was told the whole unit (i.,e wishbone and the wishbone bushes) must be replaced due to the version of the car. The price is €180-200 and this includes alignment. I am not very handy when it comes to car repairs so does any of you know if the whole unit must be replaced in order to replace the wishbone bushes? And is this price reasonable?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

I am sure the mechanics takes all your tight budget and ask even more. Do you need only pads/shoes or discs/drums too?

The bushings are available separately too, but think about how much it will cost. May be is cheaper to buy entire unit and replace that. Entire control arm including all bushings cost 30-50eur. Only bushings several eur each. If mechanic starts to replacing the bushings only, the labor will cost way over the new control arm including ready installed bushings.

EDIT: Brake pads front 4pcs 20eur
    Brake rotor front 2pcs 50eur
    Brake hardware front 7eur
    Brake shoes rear 2pcs 20eur
    Brake drum rear 2pcs 60eur
    Brake hardware rear 9eur
    Wheel brake cylinder rear 2pcs 30eur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

thats very dear i think, shop around a bit more

I did not select the cheapest parts. There is always the juratek or ridex, what cost up to 50% less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

w211 wrote: »
    I am sure the mechanics takes all your tight budget and ask even more. Do you need only pads/shoes or discs/drums too?

The bushings are available separately too, but think about how much it will cost. May be is cheaper to buy entire unit and replace that. Entire control arm including all bushings cost 30-50eur. Only bushings several eur each. If mechanic starts to replacing the bushings only, the labor will cost way over the new control arm including ready installed bushings.

EDIT: Brake pads front 4pcs 20eur
    Brake rotor front 2pcs 50eur
    Brake hardware front 7eur
    Brake shoes rear 2pcs 20eur
    Brake drum rear 2pcs 60eur
    Brake hardware rear 9eur
    Wheel brake cylinder rear 2pcs 30eur

Thanks for your reply. It is only the brake pads for the front driver side. And in relation to the bushings I have no idea. I just wanted to make sure that I am not being ripped off. So sounds like to replace the bushing will take as much time as to replace the whole unit, is that right? If so, should I just change the whole unit?

Yeah, will definitely make a couple of more calls on Monday but just wanted to see if any of the helpful board members can shed some light.

• Advertisement

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. It is only the brake pads for the front driver side. And in relation to the bushings I have no idea. I just wanted to make sure that I am not being ripped off. So sounds like to replace the bushing will take as much time as to replace the whole unit, is that right? If so, should I just change the whole unit?

Never knows how good are other bushings on that control arm. If you replace only 1, sure it is cheaper but typically if 1 goes then others does not have a long life left. Entire unit including ready mounted bushings are not too expensive.

EDIT:Do not replace only 1 side pads!!! Nobody does not sell to you 2 pads only, because it is dangerous. You need to replace on both side. Remember to check the disc quality too.

EDIT:2 Like you see you already got a expensive estimated price for only 2 pads 90-110eur including pads. Be sure you get the new brakes hardware too. This is very important part because old hardware can be bent, rusty, missing etc. The new brakes hardware guarantees the brake pads moves freely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

What is a brake hardware??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

kermitpwee wrote: »

Brake hardware refers to the metal shims that clip into the caliper carrier, which the pads slide on, and also the metal backing plates that some disc braking systems use.

OP, while not the cheapest price for fitting pads and a control arm, its still not the worst. You could still shop around and see if you can get a better price.

The price for brake pads would be for both sides. I can't imagine any garage only replacing one side.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    The stainless steel liner, pins, bolts, springs, all depends what type brakes your car have.

Thanks guys. I have made a couple of calls and was able to get a quote of €60 for the brake pads (fit and supply).

I am actually thinking about getting the parts myself online and get a mechanic to do it.

Brake pads (€29) --https://www.micksgarage.com/d/brake-pads/nissan/nissan-micra/micra-2003-to-2010/1-2-16v-65-1240/products/3206897-4971-17180/juratek-pad

Brake shoe (€23) (is this the brake hardware?) - https://www.micksgarage.com/d/brake-shoes/nissan/nissan-micra/micra-2003-to-2010/1-2-16v-65-1240/products/2972974-4971-17180/juratek-brake-shoe

Wishbone (€28) - https://www.micksgarage.com/d/wishbones/nissan/nissan-micra/micra-2003-to-2010/1-2-16v-65-1240/products/3058764-4971-17180/borg-and-beck-wishbone

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I have made a couple of calls and was able to get a quote of €60 for the brake pads (fit and supply).

I am actually thinking about getting the parts myself online and get a mechanic to do it.

Unless you are after a very particular brand part for performance reasons or whatever, I wouldn't bother. Let the garage source the parts themselves. I don't think you'll save very much, if anything, at the end of the day.

Going by the parts you mentioned above, I'd say you'll end up losing money. By the sounds of it, you only need a set of front brake pads. The brake shoe is for the rear of the car. I know someone mentioned brake hardware earlier, but you're unlikely to need this at all.

My two cents - let the mechanic handle it.

There is your hardware. https://www.micksgarage.com/d/brake-pads-fitting-kits/nissan/nissan-micra/micra-2003-to-2010/1-2-16v-65-1240/products

Only be careful, your car have 2 types of front pads!!! Acebono and Lucas/TRW type.

width: 144,4 mm
    height: 48,2 mm
    thickness: 14,2 mm
    syst.: AKEBONO

or

width: 116,0 mm
    height: 52,4 mm
    thickness: 17,3 mm
    syst.: LUCAS/TRW

Advertisement