Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty car bought under HP

• 16-02-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    We bought a car on HP, a diesel VW caddy. We had issues with an adblue error notice appearing on the display and returned it under warranty to be fixed. They said they couldn't find any issue and so just reset the software. Three mths on with the car no longer covered by warranty the same error message has come up. The adblue levels have fallen to a level that once a certain distance has elapsed the car will not start.

My question is who is liable for these repairs considering we are not the owner and also the fact that we first raised this issue while under warranty. It appears the repairs were not sufficient to ensure the issue didn't reoccur.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hellboi wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We bought a car on HP, a diesel VW caddy. We had issues with an adblue error notice appearing on the display and returned it under warranty to be fixed. They said they couldn't find any issue and so just reset the software. Three mths on with the car no longer covered by warranty the same error message has come up. The adblue levels have fallen to a level that once a certain distance has elapsed the car will not start.

My question is who is liable for these repairs considering we are not the owner and also the fact that we first raised this issue while under warranty. It appears the repairs were not sufficient to ensure the issue didn't reoccur.

Thanks in advance

Am I missing something here?
    You need to top u9 the adblue....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hellboi

Am I missing something here?
    You need to top u9 the adblue....

Oh sorry should have clarified. We had topped up with adblue but the car does not seem to have registered this. It generally displays the amount of km left and the amount of adblue required and as the km elapse the amount of adblue required increases. Once we top up, the notice display goes off. This is an error notice that beeps on everything I turn the ignition.

There is obviously a fault somewhere within the system but my question is who is liable for the repairs. When I left the car in to be repaired the first time this happened they said if it happens again it may need a new part which would be roughly 1k. Conveniently for them, the car is now out of warranty but the issue existed while within warranty. Who is liable for these repairs considering its being purchased on HP and I am technically not the owner. Anyvice or ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given that the fault was highlighted to them during the warranty period, and assuming it was something the warranty covered, then it’s on them to sort it out. That’s also assuming they acknowledged there was an error showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I'm pretty sure there's a common AdBlue heater fault that is common throughout the VAG group, is it this i wonder?

Woman in work had this exact problem with her 2017 range rover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

To answer your question, you are responsible as its your car. Vw may offer good will especially as the fault was previously reported so that woukd be the first port of call and press it with them. Reading between the lines of your posts it sounds like you were asking if the finance company should pay, they have no responsibility in this regard

I'm pretty sure there's a common AdBlue heater fault that is common throughout the VAG group, is it this i wonder?

Yeah I was asking if our issue would fall under the remit of the emissions prob that they've been having. His ans was noncommittal but said I could certainly argue my case.

aaakev wrote: »
    To answer your question, you are responsible as its your car. Vw may offer good will especially as the fault was previously reported so that woukd be the first port of call and press it with them. Reading between the lines of your posts it sounds like you were asking if the finance company should pay, they have no responsibility in this regard

Yeah it's probably not the finance company but I mean the dealership who sold us it maybe. It's obvious not of merchantable quality. The car is not going to start after 700km have elapsed. That's hardly the workings of a perfect car.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Given that the fault was highlighted to them during the warranty period, and assuming it was something the warranty covered, then it’s on them to sort it out. That’s also assuming they acknowledged there was an error showing.

They acknowledged the error, the message was on the display when I brought it to them. They said they couldn't see anything wrong with it. They had in their garage all day but finally released it to us saying they had reset the software and the error has gone off. Not exactly addressing the issue.

Hellboi wrote: »

Yeah it's probably not the finance company but I mean the dealership who sold us it maybe. It's obvious not of merchantable quality. The car is not going to start after 700km have elapsed. That's hardly the workings of a perfect car.
    Cars can develop faults, its the nature of the beast but that doesn't mean its not of interchangeable quality. Talk to the dealer and let them know its doing the same thing again

• Advertisement

Cars can develop faults, its the nature of the beast but that doesn't mean its not of interchangeable quality. Talk to the dealer and let them know its doing the same thing again

Yes I appreciate that, but the car is practically new, very low mileage and this fault occured within warranty. I've been on to the dealer and they won't cover the cost. I was just looking for definitive advice on who is responsible. Just seems unfair to me to have to foot the bill when the issue existed under warranty and it's the exact same issue happening again.

Thanks for all the replies.

Warranty is not really up to the dealer, if the mileage is low and it has a full history they should be looking for good will from vw on your behalf, without having to be asked

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is it within 90 days of the last repair? Don't alot of garages cover their work for 90 days?

Warranty is not really up to the dealer, if the mileage is low and it has a full history they should be looking for good will from vw on your behalf, without having to be asked

The OPs contract is with the dealer. This isn’t a matter for goodwill. The fault was shown to the dealer, they didn’t fix it and let the (assuming manufacturers) warranty lapse in the meantime. The OPs consumer rights are in addition to any manufacturers warranty, and the dealer can’t just wash their hands of it.

colm_mcm wrote: »

The OPs contract is with the dealer. This isn’t a matter for goodwill. The fault was shown to the dealer, they didn’t fix it and let the (assuming manufacturers) warranty lapse in the meantime. The OPs consumer rights are in addition to any manufacturers warranty, and the dealer can’t just wash their hands of it.
    Not disputing that. If the dealer was doing their job they would be paid to do the job. Poor form from the dealer to refuse over the phone

I agree. But the idea that the customer and dealer would have to go cap in hand to vw for ‘goodwill’ on something that went wrong under warranty is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If the fault was flagged while the car was still under warranty then surely the garage needs to fix it either way. Is there a paper trail/emails to back up the fact the issue was flagged during the warranty period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If the fault was flagged while the car was still under warranty then surely the garage needs to fix it either way. Is there a paper trail/emails to back up the fact the issue was flagged during the warranty period?

I had a similar issue with a renaukt where I reported repeatedly issues with the gears when it was under warranty, inky fir the garage to say they couldn't find anything wring.

Until the warranty ran out if course, then they find the problem and it's needs new gears....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had a similar issue with a renaukt where I reported repeatedly issues with the gears when it was under warranty, inky fir the garage to say they couldn't find anything wring.

Until the warranty ran out if course, then they find the problem and it's needs new gears....

Small claims court may be an option?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is it within 90 days of the last repair? Don't alot of garages cover their work for 90 days?

No just outside it by 8 days unfortunately.

• Advertisement

There was no repair done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

I have been drawn back to Boards after a long absence after a similar experience with a Ford and curious if others had posted stories, in my case I told the Dealer not to undertake the repair ( quoted €1500 ) until I looked at the fault myself.

The car was under warranty, they misdiagnosed the fault, in fact they dreamt up the fault. I referred to a firm of motor Assessors to diagnose their diagnosis, within hours of my visit telling them this was the way I was going they confirmed Ford would cover all repair costs under goodwill not warranty, I complained to Ford Ireland when I got the car back and they confirmed a warranty claim, lies and more lies, I might post details later.

Get a report done on your car, it might cost €500 plus vat and tell the dealer you are having this done, tell them you believe they should have resolved the matter when they had it as it was under warranty, wait for their reaction.

If the car can be fixed for less than €600 and the dealer is not interested then just get it repaired and move on.

You got a shoddy service from the Dealer.

Advertisement