Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best custom build vendor?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

That CPU runs pretty hot alright.

Great rig! Hope you enjoy it!

Opening the front door shaves 3c, might leave it off (looks better that way tbh).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I bought two noctua fans put one on front one on rear and temps on my overclocked 8600K dropped almost 30 degrees , massive difference.

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought two noctua fans put one on front one on rear and temps on my overclocked 8600K dropped almost 30 degrees , massive difference.

I've ordered an additional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's alive! Took me 7 hours from opening the first box to finishing the Windows 10 install. As if by a miracle, everything actually worked first boot!

I've been benchmarking in Prime95 v29.4 and the CPU is running fairly hot, 92c under full AVX load. Is this normal? Seems hot. Should I buy a second Noctua fan to put on the other side of the heat sink to draw more heat off it? I did reseat/reapply paste and got the same temps.

Pics to follow...

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3378-intel-9900k-cpu-review-solder-vs-paste-delid-gaming-benchmarks-vs-2700x/page-2
    That does seem fairly high (70+ over ambient).

Maybe check what voltage the CPU is drawing under load (with CPU-Z or Intel XTU).

In regards to the case, check GN's tests here:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3335-be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-rev2-benchmarks-review

1_bq-dbp900-cpu_only.png

Are you leaving the front door open during workloads? Are the fans at minimum?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3378-intel-9900k-cpu-review-solder-vs-paste-delid-gaming-benchmarks-vs-2700x/page-2
    That does seem fairly high (70+ over ambient).

Maybe check what voltage the CPU is drawing under load (with CPU-Z or Intel XTU).

In regards to the case, check GN's tests here:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3335-be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-rev2-benchmarks-review

1_bq-dbp900-cpu_only.png

Are you leaving the front door open during workloads? Are the fans at minimum?

Fans were on silent mode, switching them to perf mode drops the temps by about 3c. Right now I have the front door open and the fans in perf mode;

QUANrsL.png

Anything unusual looking here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Nope, the i9 9900 runs very hot when the mobo isn't power limiting it.

Nope, the i9 9900 runs very hot when the mobo isn't power limiting it.

That's alright then. I'll slap another fan on the CPU heatsink and let it be so.

But just realised there's pretty bad coil whine from the PSU :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mp3guy wrote: »
    But just realised there's pretty bad coil whine from the PSU :(

Ah that sucks, the HX Platinum shouldn't have that!
    I'd RMA/request replacement immediately.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ah that sucks, the HX Platinum shouldn't have that!
    I'd RMA/request replacement immediately.

At least, I'm assuming that's what it is. It happens when burning in the CPU and GPU separately, also sounds like it's coming from the PSU. How are Scan for RMAs?

• Advertisement

Posted a photo over here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Never heard of coil whine from a psu before, are you sure it's not the graphics card?

Often this coil whine is only audible when running certain crazy high fps benchmarks. You will never get it in real scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PSU's do get coil whine as well, I've had it in a few, usually only under very high load and/or cheap units.

re: temps, a 9900K under AVX stress test, 92c seems high but reasonably normal? It is the heaviest load you can put your CPU under, if you actually test other 'normal' things the temps won't be nearly as high even under high load.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Never heard of coil whine from a psu before, are you sure it's not the graphics card?

Often this coil whine is only audible when running certain crazy high fps benchmarks. You will never get it in real scenarios.

It's the PSU, happens when the CPU draws power and the GPU is ideal. Also happens with the GPU draws power and the CPU is ideal. Common denominator (and based on what I can locate with my ear) points to the PSU.
    PSU's do get coil whine as well, I've had it in a few, usually only under very high load and/or cheap units.

re: temps, a 9900K under AVX stress test, 92c seems high but reasonably normal? It is the heaviest load you can put your CPU under, if you actually test other 'normal' things the temps won't be nearly as high even under high load.

Yeah under non-AVX Prime95 it's only 71c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 8builder

Now that's a properly balanced build. Great to see that you dropped X series processor as they are just overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I get similar temps for prime95 with my 9900k build (also on high-end air cooling). You're running stock clocks? Power and temperatures go up vary rapidly starting around 4.7 GHz.

Luck100 wrote: »
    I get similar temps for prime95 with my 9900k build (also on high-end air cooling). You're running stock clocks? Power and temperatures go up vary rapidly starting around 4.7 GHz.

Stock yes. I'll be happy enough once I add another fan on, just paranoia really! But it'll be a bit until I can test that anyway with the PSU sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

good list on PC Gamer of vendor build bargains

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cheap-gaming-pc-deals-uk/

Finally got the PSU replacement, nice and quiet now!

Also added the extra CPU fan, takes Prime95 AVX temps down to 86c which is a bit nicer.

<edit>

Here's a tuned up picture

4rlKkM4.jpg

Advertisement